On To Syracuse!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Well, I will start with the disclaimer that anything can and usually does happen in CFB. So any predictions on my part are completely worthless, as are anyone else's. That won't stop me though, and it shouldn't stop you either.

As I offer a look forward into the coming week it is helpful to make note of a few things that I believe to be relevant from the small sampling of recent results. If TECH fans were Cuse fans they would be ringing alarm bells over the number of rushing yards that the Orange allowed to the Ohio team. Given our ability (and apparent desire) to run the football, using a really good controlled passing game as a balancing factor, it feels like a valid concern for Cuse fans. Opponents controlling the clock on offense is like Kryptonite to a team built on the forward pass. Long stints on the sidelines tend to destroy timing and rhythm. It might not play out that way, but the likelihood seems better than not.

When thinking about our defense after two games (not one), there are some factors surrounding preparation for games that need to be considered. In the GSU game, we were facing an opponent with more talent than most people think that was constructed from scratch with completely new players AND coaching staff. Their back up QB was in OUR SYSTEM for the last two years and one of the guys from our defensive staff is now on theirs (or so I believe to be true, don't know the name). What better INTEL could you possibly expect to have? Plus, they had game film, the kind that really helps (going against a team that forced us to shoot all our bullets). Conversely, we went into the game with nothing. Normal game preparation for defense involves film study and lots of it. Every player will make note of formations used and what plays typically are run out of each one, giving them the ability to line up more reliably AND develop a sense of anticipation for what they may try to do. Additionally down and distance tendencies are also digested. Our coaches can say publicly that we are "more concerned about us", but at the same time, we all know extensive hours are typically put into film study BECAUSE IT HELPS. Considering this, it is understandable that we may have been on our heels a little bit and a half step slow. They were tossing a lot glitter into the air on every play with motions and misdirection etc making it tough. As the field compresses all this stuff matters less and less because there is less space to operate and it becomes a lot more about putting a hat on a hat. Nobody is going to run past you when the back line of the EZ is 7 yards behind you. That is exactly what we saw. It got a lot tougher for them Sat night when the field got short. While it was not a great night for us on defense, it was still pretty good. Giving up a single TD and a couple of FGs is good enough to win about 90% of games, or it should be. We may have known a little more about FSU on defense than GSU going into the game, but they were still working in a new QB. In short, what I am trying to say is that this will be a bit of a more normal week in terms of preparation. It can't hurt.

For these reasons, I like us in this game. With that said, we will need to show up well prepared and play as the best version of ourselves to win. It is an away game in a unique atmosphere were the crowd is right on top of you in a dome. I expect a hard fought gritty win with plenty of ups and downs. A runaway by either team would be a complete surprise.
Great summary and prediction.
Thank goodness you went past stats and went to eye ball.
My eyes saw a few small events
A i saw a,GT middle lb drop back in a passing lane, jump up and make an interception! Yea thier was a penalty , but in 65, 67 ish at bds uga faked a fb draw and lobbed a pass over the lb for a key first down to seal their win. Same thing recently when we had uda backed up in inzone. That's real progress.
2. 54 has transformed himself from a quiet giant fat freshman into a nfl sized athletic tackle that sprinted down field to form a convoy for Singleton s score on the reverse. He did better when on island against de. He can get acc honors.
3. Not football SCuse relevatnt but during pause 54 was featured on jumbotron. He did excellent answering favorite pop YOUNG culture question.. He said answers about some Japanese cartoon character. Giant response from student section! We need football games being fun type outreach to foreign students

4.Also off point for SCuse, but on east stands i saw several groups of YOUNG SIDEWALK FANS trying to get to the south endzone where the overflow for the srmtudets was being opened up. Block party is a real possibility for sidewalk fans to south end zone. We need sidewalk fan club gt gear!
5. Near my seat
WR 67 got in to run a number of jet screen routes with reverses in pre snap backfild motion. Ran a perfect route to a cleared out flat to left for a screen. He and qb were dialed in. He bowed out to give qb big area if blitzed, but then headed up field. Qb spotted him , passed where he was going , at eye level, where caught it with ease, nd then accelerated to get max yards on play with no homerun stop go. Over next few years, imo, we will see a lot more of 67.
Also by seats #5 Pyron ran a couple of qb keepers to right. First one was nose into pile and second one was sprint on slant to sidelines. #5 has speed, maybe not King speed, but damn fast.
6. Early on in game, Gsu offense would get set quickly and gojng on first count. Glad we got schooled on some run plays this week so hopefully, not on long pass plays this week! I see us getting some pics by the db.
7. #32 is well and playing atc110%

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That works on O.

I think walking out of there with the W not only involves controlling the ball on O but limiting big plays: limiting chunk plays by their O, miscues on specials and turnovers by our O.

Is this the best passing attack we've seen yet? Seems likely. Will we finally get to see our pass rush?

McCord is going to be big trouble for us. Him and that Miami QB are way better than what we've lined up against in a long time.
Drake Maye was very good for UNC. Fortunately we simply outscored them. This game will be a different test for our defense than the first 2 games.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The GSU QB burned us a few times by expending drives with his feet. No Haynes King, but deceptively quick.
The Miami QB also has some wheels in addition to being a very good passer.
DJU was a competent pocket passer, and although he’s a big dude, not much of a runner.

In contrast, McCord seems to be a pure pocket passer. He has only 49 yards rushing for his entire career. Hopefully, we will take this into account with our defensive game plan. We shouldn't have to worry about him as another runner.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The GSU QB burned us a few times by expending drives with his feet. No Haynes King, but deceptively quick.
The Miami QB also has some wheels in addition to being a very good passer.
DJU was a competent pocket passer, and although he’s a big dude, not much of a runner.

In contrast, McCord seems to be a pure pocket passer. He has only 49 yards rushing for his entire career. Hopefully, we will take this into account with our defensive game plan. We shouldn't have to worry about him as another runner.
Hopefully Cuse’s OL hasn’t gelled (or isn’t that great) and we GATA Tenuta style

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
The over/under has steamed up to 60.5. I’m skeptical of this many points myself.

I think we approach this game similar to free shoes. Run. The. Ball. Control the clock and limit the number of overall possessions.

I believe their best LB is out which is a big loss.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Watching Cuse replay right now. See lots of short passes with lots of YAC. If we can limit the YAC, we're in business! Not impressed with Cuse D at all. Undisciplined.
edit: I hope we don't rush 3 and try to play zone with 8. McCord will pick us apart. He's very accurate when he can sit back and get comfy.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Watching Cuse replay right now. See lots of short passes with lots of YAC. If we can limit the YAC, we're in business! Not impressed with Cuse D at all. Undisciplined.
edit: I hope we don't rush 3 and try to play zone with 8. McCord will pick us apart. He's very accurate when he can sit back and get comfy.
Cuse has some very good receivers as well. We will need to have a good offensive game on Saturday.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Great summary and prediction.
Thank goodness you went past stats and went to eye ball.
My eyes saw a few small events
A i saw a,GT middle lb drop back in a passing lane, jump up and make an interception! Yea thier was a penalty , but in 65, 67 ish at bds uga faked a fb draw and lobbed a pass over the lb for a key first down to seal their win. Same thing recently when we had uda backed up in inzone. That's real progress.
2. 54 has transformed himself from a quiet giant fat freshman into a nfl sized athletic tackle that sprinted down field to form a convoy for Singleton s score on the reverse. He did better when on island against de. He can get acc honors.
3. Not football SCuse relevatnt but during pause 54 was featured on jumbotron. He did excellent answering favorite pop YOUNG culture question.. He said answers about some Japanese cartoon character. Giant response from student section! We need football games being fun type outreach to foreign students

4.Also off point for SCuse, but on east stands i saw several groups of YOUNG SIDEWALK FANS trying to get to the south endzone where the overflow for the srmtudets was being opened up. Block party is a real possibility for sidewalk fans to south end zone. We need sidewalk fan club gt gear!
5. Near my seat
WR 67 got in to run a number of jet screen routes with reverses in pre snap backfild motion. Ran a perfect route to a cleared out flat to left for a screen. He and qb were dialed in. He bowed out to give qb big area if blitzed, but then headed up field. Qb spotted him , passed where he was going , at eye level, where caught it with ease, nd then accelerated to get max yards on play with no homerun stop go. Over next few years, imo, we will see a lot more of 67.
Also by seats #5 Pyron ran a couple of qb keepers to right. First one was nose into pile and second one was sprint on slant to sidelines. #5 has speed, maybe not King speed, but damn fast.
6. Early on in game, Gsu offense would get set quickly and gojng on first count. Glad we got schooled on some run plays this week so hopefully, not on long pass plays this week! I see us getting some pics by the db.
7. #32 is well and playing atc110%
Are you talking Stockton, slot, #87?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Last season’s game vs. Syracuse was hard fought and quite salty between the two teams, and it was one of the last of the season- I have to think our lads haven’t forgotten that and won’t sleepwalk into this game

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'll be in Syracuse for the game Saturday with my 11 year old son. (Heading to Cooperstown the next day!) Does anyone know either where the team is staying or where they enter the dome? Would love to be there to support them getting on the buses or as they enter the stadium. Also, anyone know of a good place to park for the game? I've been to Syracuse for work before, but never for a game. Thanks!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
“We’ve established a standard this year but we haven’t established a culture.”
-Coach Key

We haven’t achieved anything yet. We need to beat Syracuse so that the “expected losses” on our schedule won’t hurt our record as much. I see this as the most important game on our schedule the first half of the season. I thought this when we were expected to lose to FSU.

This is a huge game for us. If we win I honestly believe the rest of the season’s ups and downs can be taken in stride. If we lose it will instantly raise questions about how good we are and whether or not we can beat a decent team.

Yeah, I’m nervously excited and fearfully hopeful.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
“We’ve established a standard this year but we haven’t established a culture.”
-Coach Key

We haven’t achieved anything yet. We need to beat Syracuse so that the “expected losses” on our schedule won’t hurt our record as much. I see this as the most important game on our schedule the first half of the season. I thought this when we were expected to lose to FSU.

This is a huge game for us. If we win I honestly believe the rest of the season’s ups and downs can be taken in stride. If we lose it will instantly raise questions about how good we are and whether or not we can beat a decent team.

Yeah, I’m nervously excited and fearfully hopeful.

Agreed. Can't have a hiccup here. Win this one and we're likely 4-0 going into the Louisville game and likely ranked in the Top 20. Lose this one and it's "same old Tech." Let's hope we go up there and do what we should do and don't revert to "typical Tech." Hopefully Key has turned the corner on that happening. I was just hoping for a win over Georgia State. Didn't care if it was 1 point or 21 points. Just a win. That was a major trap game and we won it while being in control most of the game. Didn't look great, but good enough to win by 3 touchdowns. Let's keep it going.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Can't have a hiccup here. Win this one and we're likely 4-0 going into the Louisville game and likely ranked in the Top 20. Lose this one and it's "same old Tech." Let's hope we go up there and do what we should do and don't revert to "typical Tech." Hopefully Key has turned the corner on that happening. I was just hoping for a win over Georgia State. Didn't care if it was 1 point or 21 points. Just a win. That was a major trap game and we won it while being in control most of the game. Didn't look great, but good enough to win by 3 touchdowns. Let's keep it going.
I think getting back on schedule for a week can do wonders. I also think that is part of F$U's issue last night. I don't think we need to count them out, but these next two weeks will be a heart check for them. It's possible that they rip off 10 straight, but they've got to get their hearts back in it.