On To Syracuse!

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck
Could not agree more. The defense did not pass the eye test last week to me at all. After going back and watching again we are getting no pressure unless we bring 5-6 guys and our secondary doesn't seem to be handling man coverage all that well to me. I'm no expert, but I'm not sure we have made a massive jump on defense yet. I think we are more sound and have improved, but I'm not sure how much. I think we have gone from a D- defense to maybe a C or C+ defense. I think we will need to run the ball and control the clock. If we can force a turnover or two we can definitely outscore them, but this game will be a fight.
We gave up 5.2 yds/rush to Ga State. Credit them for showing up and being physical in the run game. Their backs were bottled up until they weren't - 41 yd run by Wilkerson, 23 yd run by Brock, 21 yd run by Dukes. Hats off...

1725469899217.png

Our D had zero sacks, but we did rack up 8 TFL. Huge shout out to Tren Tatum - 3 total tackles, 2.5 TFL. We will have to be better at preventing big plays vs. Cuse - they've got a legit QB who will capitalize on busted coverages. We were able to pressure the Ga State QB quite a bit, but they were running short routes for quick throws. Cuse will likely test us deep a lot more. Santucci did not appear to get too creative vs. Ga State, probably by design. I expect a much more aggressive defense vs. Cuse.

That said, they gave up an *** of yards rushing to Ohio...that certainly looks good for us. If our OL comes out angry like they did vs. F$U, we'll be able to control the clock and the flow of the game. Will this be the game where we open up the passing game? I hope we don't need it.

slugboy

Staff member
We gave up 5.2 yds/rush to Ga State. Credit them for showing up and being physical in the run game. Their backs were bottled up until they weren't - 41 yd run by Wilkerson, 23 yd run by Brock, 21 yd run by Dukes. Hats off...

View attachment 16780

Our D had zero sacks, but we did rack up 8 TFL. Huge shout out to Tren Tatum - 3 total tackles, 2.5 TFL. We will have to be better at preventing big plays vs. Cuse - they've got a legit QB who will capitalize on busted coverages. We were able to pressure the Ga State QB quite a bit, but they were running short routes for quick throws. Cuse will likely test us deep a lot more. Santucci did not appear to get too creative vs. Ga State, probably by design. I expect a much more aggressive defense vs. Cuse.

That said, they gave up an *** of yards rushing to Ohio...that certainly looks good for us. If our OL comes out angry like they did vs. F$U, we'll be able to control the clock and the flow of the game. Will this be the game where we open up the passing game? I hope we don't need it.
There were a couple of plays where we missed a tackle or didn’t set the edge, and they turned into big plays. I think that was even true on the first drive.

We tried to blitz a few times against GA State—no luck there.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There were a couple of plays where we missed a tackle or didn’t set the edge, and they turned into big plays. I think that was even true on the first drive.

Chaney seemed to have a good hot call for blitz plans, he threw directly into it every time.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Could not agree more. The defense did not pass the eye test last week to me at all. After going back and watching again we are getting no pressure unless we bring 5-6 guys and our secondary doesn't seem to be handling man coverage all that well to me. I'm no expert, but I'm not sure we have made a massive jump on defense yet. I think we are more sound and have improved, but I'm not sure how much. I think we have gone from a D- defense to maybe a C or C+ defense. I think we will need to run the ball and control the clock. If we can force a turnover or two we can definitely outscore them, but this game will be a fight.
We were a lot more vanilla against Ga. St. We blitzed considerably more against FSU. Ga. St. threw a lot of very quick passes which makes it tough to get to the QB. I think based on that we rushed the standard 4 a lot more of the time. So I think a lot of these depends on their passing schemes. The big thing is a quick passing offense means you really need to limit their passing to a few yards at a time. That means good LB play and sure tackling.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We were a lot more vanilla against Ga. St. We blitzed considerably more against FSU. Ga. St. threw a lot of very quick passes which makes it tough to get to the QB. I think based on that we rushed the standard 4 a lot more of the time. So I think a lot of these depends on their passing schemes. The big thing is a quick passing offense means you really need to limit their passing to a few yards at a time. That means good LB play and sure tackling.
This is why I thought it was funny when Syracuse fans were pointing to our 1 total sack in 2 games and saying we have a trash front 7. I'm not saying it's the biggest strength of our team, but they got good pressure all game on DJU (so did BC to be fair). I didn't do a rewatch but I recall DJU doing a pretty decent job that game of evading sacks and getting rid of the ball without turning it over. I was surprised when the game was over that we didn't force an INT.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
This is why I thought it was funny when Syracuse fans were pointing to our 1 total sack in 2 games and saying we have a trash front 7. I'm not saying it's the biggest strength of our team, but they got good pressure all game on DJU (so did BC to be fair). I didn't do a rewatch but I recall DJU doing a pretty decent job that game of evading sacks and getting rid of the ball without turning it over. I was surprised when the game was over that we didn't force an INT.
Also we had a Height sack called back and at least one more that should’ve been a sack had the DTs kept contain instead of over-running the pocket.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought we were very vanilla on D last Saturday. I hope that was the reason we didn't look so sharp and not something deeper. Our guys stepped up and made plays individually, but the overall game plan looked weak. Can't do that against 'Cuse.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I thought we were very vanilla on D last Saturday. I hope that was the reason we didn't look so sharp and not something deeper. Our guys stepped up and made plays individually, but the overall game plan looked weak. Can't do that against 'Cuse.
I don’t think it’s “deeper” or a sign of deficiency. No matter how much we preach consistency and 100% effort / focus, you can’t be 100% every week.
We were a little vanilla scheme-wise. We were also a little slower and a little less focused. We overcame it obviously. Now the margin for error is tightening. Hopefully we don’t have our off day against an opponent playing well and capable of taking advantage. Hopefully we haven’t played our best football yet either (I don’t think we have).

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Their OC/QB was very good at calling/executing short passes to avoid the rush. I don’t know if that’s their game or not or if they saw our blitz against F$U.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Please let us not get to the point we "fear" an opponent, "fear" losing, or "fear" a major challenge. This is what sports is all about. We could lose, but I do not fear it. I trust my eyes and our coach, we are an improved team. Play the game. Give it the best you've got.
It scares me, but I am afraid that I agree with you. ;)

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
the defense truly is still suspect. We have 0 pass rush that is a cause for MAJOR concern
I’m not sure this is true. Neither of the two teams we played threw the ball too far downfield with any regularity. Georgia State’s best two passes were rainbow throws under heavy pressure.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I've noticed they are an awful arrogant fanbase to have been completely irrelevant outside of 1956-1961 and 1987-1992.
they have much more history than just that...

very good in the late 50's (1959 natty) and through the 60's, and had lots of success in the 80's and 90's.

They've been mostly mediocre with some good years since the mid 2000's.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The new syarcuse coach and qb are not thinking 5 yard and out pass plays. Thier ol is all rs jr or sr so we can expect challenges for or db.

New dc and lb and db players need to up thier game from gsu.

Last week they l were bailed out by dropped passes on several plays while the qb was under pressure.

Hope to see dl and DE get pressure w just 4!