On To Syracuse!

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I personally feel better about the Cuse game after the results of Saturday night at BDS as the Cuse and their fan base thinks they are better than they really are and feel confident about winning against an overmatched bobcat squad that was in it till the 4th Q. I'd also point out, as did Coach Key last night on ACC network, that winning is the most important stat but we have LOTS to clean up and work on so he will have the boys focused imo.

Time will tell if their new coach is a good coach but even a good coach (Brent Key) has to establish a winning culture and bring in his players.
Not saying the Cuse can't upset us. Of course, they can but their fan base bravado and ego are certainly inflated imo...Coach Key had some nice upsets in his interim year (UNC & Pitt) but if that's what the Cuse is hanging their hats on, I like our chances.

Why such confidence from their fans...
1) From perusing their boards, they think they were in last years game at BDS; however, that game imo was never in any doubt and our offense was still finding their way.
2) They have a 4–5-star transfer from OSU in McCord. Okay we have a better transfer (4 star) in Haynes King. Besides McCord had MUCH more talent surrounding him at OSU and now he'll have to carry the Cuse vs simply not screwing it up. Time till well.

Ultimately we are deeper and more talented. We have the better QB and coaching.
Yes, the carrier dome does worry me and my goodness, do we EVER just simply not get completely screwed by ACC referees?
I think it'll be a tough game but I'm guessing the spread will favor us and I feel we win a tough hard fought battle by 13.

Tech 27- Cuse 14

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Are we going to say this every week? 😂 I get it, I’m conditioned the same way (something bad is going to happen just as things start going good). I feel like our coaching and talent are now at a level where we can lift our expectations a little. This will be a tough game no doubt. We definitely have things to work on this week after last night but I feel confident Key and Co will get the boys up for it.
Yeah it isn't a guaranteed win, but I feel confident our guys will be ready to give it their best shot. We've got a good chance of coming out with a W. We'll see what happens...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Probably the hardest part of being a top-tier college football team is bringing IT every single week, no matter who/where/when you’re playing. This becomes exponentially harder for a team like GT that doesn’t have the physical talent to outplay teams every week, or the depth to make up for key players missing or limited in games. Not only do you have to be physically ready to play, you have to bring IT mentally as well. One lapse in judgement, one little miscue, one mental mistake from the coaches or players can send your season spiraling out of control. I think CBK and staff are going to do as good of a job as they can to get the squad prepared. But at the end of the day, these are a bunch of 18-23 year old boys, and nobody really knows what they might do next.
Don't forget our players are also students with homework and quizzes. I was just a regular student and was totally worn out by the end of the quarter.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Beyond differences in raw talent and projections based on production in previous games, every new game presents its own challenges that determine outcome. In the current coaching vernacular, it is called "overcoming adversity." It can include home field advantages, traveling difficulties, uneven officiating, asymmetries in rest and prep-time due to bye-weeks, strange bounces of the ball, weather, etc.

The FSU game presented interesting challenges: A very talented opponent. LOTS of time to prepare and international travel. Clearly, GT met their challenges better than FSU met theirs.

The GASt game had a different set of challenges, long travel making for a short week, not letting the big win get into their heads, playing an opponent that was fresher and had more time to prepare, playing as the favorite, media distractions, uneven officiating that overturned some big plays, a turnover, some injuries, etc. Again, the team handled the challenges very well.

The Syracuse game has different challenges, hostile and unfamiliar road environment, another week to travel, playing for the third consecutive week, facing a better downfield passing attack. Are the players physically and mentally recovered? What else? The team will be challenged to maintain focus. We know they CAN do it, but it is a challenge, nonetheless.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Gold glasses, maybe, but I think this game sets up well for us. Cuse can't stop the run and we run it well. They don't run it well but may have a good pass game. But this year we have a real pass rush and a DC who has a way of disguising what we're doing with our blitzes. I think we get a pick or two. I guess my main concern is will we match their intensity on the road? I've seen Tech teams through the years who look like a totally different team when playing on the road. And not in a good way. Aside: Stech, I feel the same way as you about night games. I've been s zombie all day today. After 12 beers, the whole bottle of blue pills wouldnt help. Good to know you and take the points are older gents like me.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Winnable game, but this is also exactly the kind of game we blew during the Collins years.
Are you referring to the kind of game where the other team had players, coaches, uniforms, bands and cheerleaders? And were the other team was either favored or underdogs? Playing either at BDS or on the road? If so, you are exactly right...we blew a lot of those games during that era. And frankly it sucked. :)

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
That works on O.

I think walking out of there with the W not only involves controlling the ball on O but limiting big plays: limiting chunk plays by their O, miscues on specials and turnovers by our O.

Is this the best passing attack we've seen yet? Seems likely. Will we finally get to see our pass rush?
Basically, playing like we did against FSU. We did a great job against them of limiting big passing plays - I feel confident we can do that again.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
IMHO Kyle McCord is significantly better than either of the two QBs we’ve faced before and he has played in big games with a lot of pressure on him before. He won’t crumble. I think he got far too much of the blame for Ohio State not beating Michigan. He deserved some for sure but he was essentially made the scapegoat. I feel like Ryan Day let his player take the fall for his own shortcomings. Again that’s just my opinion.

I am excited about the game coming up and we can definitely win but IMHO this is a bigger test of our defense than either FSU or GSU.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
IMHO Kyle McCord is significantly better than either of the two QBs we’ve faced before and he has played in big games with a lot of pressure on him before. He won’t crumble. I think he got far too much of the blame for Ohio State not beating Michigan. He deserved some for sure but he was essentially made the scapegoat. I feel like Ryan Day let his player take the fall for his own shortcomings. Again that’s just my opinion.

I am excited about the game coming up and we can definitely win but IMHO this is a bigger test of our defense than either FSU or GSU.
I definitely agree that McCord took too much blame for the Michigan loss, but I would also say he got wayy too much credit for a lot of the other parts of the season. He will be a solid qb, but it’s a lot easier to look good when you are surrounded by the talent at “the” Ohio state.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure I agree that its a bigger test than FSU, but as big a test as FSU. I do agree the Defense needs to really step-up especially pressuring the QB.

As long as we stay on this run every game is a bigger game than the previous game ...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Does Cuse have a decent OL? How much continuity from last season there? Our ability to pressure their QB will be a big factor in how this game goes, along with running on them and stuffing their run of course.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Cuse defense looks big but soooo slow. I had to rewatch a lot of plays vs Ohio because I couldn’t believe how slow / low effort they looked in open field situations.

They have really solid weapons on offense. But we will have no problem thrashing their D once past the line of scrimmage.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, I will start with the disclaimer that anything can and usually does happen in CFB. So any predictions on my part are completely worthless, as are anyone else's. That won't stop me though, and it shouldn't stop you either.

As I offer a look forward into the coming week it is helpful to make note of a few things that I believe to be relevant from the small sampling of recent results. If TECH fans were Cuse fans they would be ringing alarm bells over the number of rushing yards that the Orange allowed to the Ohio team. Given our ability (and apparent desire) to run the football, using a really good controlled passing game as a balancing factor, it feels like a valid concern for Cuse fans. Opponents controlling the clock on offense is like Kryptonite to a team built on the forward pass. Long stints on the sidelines tend to destroy timing and rhythm. It might not play out that way, but the likelihood seems better than not.

When thinking about our defense after two games (not one), there are some factors surrounding preparation for games that need to be considered. In the GSU game, we were facing an opponent with more talent than most people think that was constructed from scratch with completely new players AND coaching staff. Their back up QB was in OUR SYSTEM for the last two years and one of the guys from our defensive staff is now on theirs (or so I believe to be true, don't know the name). What better INTEL could you possibly expect to have? Plus, they had game film, the kind that really helps (going against a team that forced us to shoot all our bullets). Conversely, we went into the game with nothing. Normal game preparation for defense involves film study and lots of it. Every player will make note of formations used and what plays typically are run out of each one, giving them the ability to line up more reliably AND develop a sense of anticipation for what they may try to do. Additionally down and distance tendencies are also digested. Our coaches can say publicly that we are "more concerned about us", but at the same time, we all know extensive hours are typically put into film study BECAUSE IT HELPS. Considering this, it is understandable that we may have been on our heels a little bit and a half step slow. They were tossing a lot glitter into the air on every play with motions and misdirection etc making it tough. As the field compresses all this stuff matters less and less because there is less space to operate and it becomes a lot more about putting a hat on a hat. Nobody is going to run past you when the back line of the EZ is 7 yards behind you. That is exactly what we saw. It got a lot tougher for them Sat night when the field got short. While it was not a great night for us on defense, it was still pretty good. Giving up a single TD and a couple of FGs is good enough to win about 90% of games, or it should be. We may have known a little more about FSU on defense than GSU going into the game, but they were still working in a new QB. In short, what I am trying to say is that this will be a bit of a more normal week in terms of preparation. It can't hurt.

For these reasons, I like us in this game. With that said, we will need to show up well prepared and play as the best version of ourselves to win. It is an away game in a unique atmosphere were the crowd is right on top of you in a dome. I expect a hard fought gritty win with plenty of ups and downs. A runaway by either team would be a complete surprise.

GT33

Helluva Engineer

McCord is going to be big trouble for us. Him and that Miami QB are way better than what we've lined up against in a long time.