Official Offseason Uni Thread

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
also the GT bookstore has always been a hot mess and will continue to be a hot mess. Adidas deal or not. They're never going to be exemplary.

My friend, you have just touched on a subject that strikes a real nerve with some of us alums. GT is one of the best schools in the world for educating engineers. Which is great - that is its primary mission. Allegedly, our business school is decent as well. But GT itself appears almost incompetent (at worst) or mediocre (at best) in almost everything else it does outside of educating engineers. Managing an inventory system or maintaining a credible website is something we would expect out of a senior engineering or CS project. We don't expect miracles. Just competency in management. If the GT bookstore is affiliated with GT in any shape, form or fashion, why isn't exemplary a reasonable expectation?

My friend, you have just touched on a subject that strikes a real nerve with some of us alums. GT is one of the best schools in the world for educating engineers. Which is great - that is its primary mission. Allegedly, our business school is decent as well. But GT itself appears almost incompetent (at worst) or mediocre (at best) in almost everything else it does outside of educating engineers. Managing an inventory system or maintaining a credible website is something we would expect out of a senior engineering or CS project. We don't expect miracles. Just competency in management. If the GT bookstore is affiliated with GT in any shape, form or fashion, why isn't exemplary a reasonable expectation?
The business school is not only decent, it ranks 39th in the country for undergraduate business schools (Georgia ranks 67) and 28th for graduate business schools (Georgia ranks 40). With those rankings, we should certainly expect more out of Tech than just educating students. Much lower ranked Georgia sure does a better job of marketing than Tech does or ever has.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The business school is not only decent, it ranks 39th in the country for undergraduate business schools (Georgia ranks 67) and 28th for graduate business schools (Georgia ranks 40). With those rankings, we should certainly expect more out of Tech than just educating students. Much lower ranked Georgia sure does a better job of marketing than Tech does or ever has.

This is why I have always been a bit skeptical about our management/business school. It doesn't appear to manifest itself in the way we operate. I can't (nor have heard anyone else) explain this glaring discrepancy.

This is why I have always been a bit skeptical about our management/business school. It doesn't appear to manifest itself in the way we operate. I can't (nor have heard anyone else) explain this glaring discrepancy.
Well, to be somewhat fair, it should not be the job of professors or students to engage in marketing for Tech, but one would think that with such a highly ranked school, the AA or the school or whoever would at least attempt to live up to the standards set by the business school.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I was sitting here reading through the last few post and a commercial came on my television. I'm sure some if not all of you have seen it, the new Toyota commercial using well know cliches such "best thing since sliced bread" and the like. This commercial is now burns into my brain and it begs the question why can't Tech's marketing be as successful? Is it due to engineers, as a rule, having no sense of humor? (And yes there are a # of exceptions that post here!) :D

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I was sitting here reading through the last few post and a commercial came on my television. I'm sure some if not all of you have seen it, the new Toyota commercial using well know cliches such "best thing since sliced bread" and the like. This commercial is now burns into my brain and it begs the question why can't Tech's marketing be as successful? Is it due to engineers, as a rule, having no sense of humor? (And yes there are a # of exceptions that post here!) :D

Great commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... does a bear... YEP!
Not being familiar with the commercial OJF mentioned, I don't know if your comment related to that or not. My obvious initial thought was the words coming after "bear," and my thoughts immediately turned to "does a dog ...?" Several fill-in-the-blank possibilities there, beginning with "sniff," "lick," "hump," etc, etc.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not being familiar with the commercial OJF mentioned, I don't know if your comment related to that or not. My obvious initial thought was the words coming after "bear," and my thoughts immediately turned to "does a dog ...?" Several fill-in-the-blank possibilities there, beginning with "sniff," "lick," "hump," etc, etc.
... Something a bear does in the woods. [emoji90][emoji90][emoji90]
[emoji199]

www.MessenTools.com-emoticones-humor-014.gif

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmm

Should I watch TV (as opposed to streaming services) so I know what's going on in the football forum?

Or are the mods taking a week off?

Buzz*The*Plumber

Jolly Good Fellow
Uh oh. Now we got players calling out adidas publicly for not having any gear yet. Bumpy start, or much ado about nothing? Wouldn't adidas have communicated to the Athletic Department about when to expect first shipment? What gives?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Uh oh. Now we got players calling out adidas publicly for not having any gear yet. Bumpy start, or much ado about nothing? Wouldn't adidas have communicated to the Athletic Department about when to expect first shipment? What gives?

This relationship has not started well

65Jacket

GT Athlete
How many times have I told people what I was told by someone in the know. The uni as being shipped and will be in the Barnes and Noble by mid July. THe fan-jerseys will be in in August. The team unis will be worn by the players at picture day. There is no miscommunication and no problem. The word you and the players need to learn is - PATIENCE!