Official Offseason Thread

Milwaukee

Banned
Then, it seems, you are making a distinction without a difference. If you agree that most Tech athletes have a higher potential than uga athletes, and you accept that statistically the arrest records are not in uga's favor, then there is nothing left to debate.

There is nothing left to debate, you are right about that. But it's because you completely missed the point, and it's safe to assume that you'll never acknowledge anything outside the realm of gold colored glasses.

But carry on with your agenda.

We can disagree on this topic, that doesn't mean I think less of you by any means. Cheers.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Facts are facts. UGA is always a top 10 team in arrest. GT is never mentioned. GT is in Atlanta Ga, its not like the APD are such huge Tech fans that they let GT players walk. The two schools have to recruit different. UGA has 10-15 players that if we are being honest, could not ever get into college except for football. Prob pushed thru high school because of talent .Both my parents worked in the Atlanta School system. My father coached for 30 years and my mom is in the Ga Athletic Directors Hall of Fame. I know a little about what really goes on. It is what it is.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Facts are facts. UGA is always a top 10 team in arrest. GT is never mentioned. GT is in Atlanta Ga, its not like the APD are such huge Tech fans that they let GT players walk. The two schools have to recruit different. UGA has 10-15 players that if we are being honest, could not ever get into college except for football. Prob pushed thru high school because of talent .Both my parents worked in the Atlanta School system. My father coached for 30 years and my mom is in the Ga Athletic Directors Hall of Fame. I know a little about what really goes on. It is what it is.

You are right about this, but the debate is over. It's clear that some will never get the point because they can't see it thru their dwag colored glasses.

Milwaukee

Banned

You're backtracking on previous statements that were completely asinine, but as others have said, let's move on.

We're all on the same team here. If it upsets some of you that some UGA students athletes are actually good kids then you need to take a look at yourself in the mirror.

You guys can continue with your rhetoric, I've said my peace. And it's funny how you guys still haven't acknowledged our SA's problems.

Words of advice: call things down the middle, not just what's in your best interest, and you'll be taken a lot more seriously.

Cheers gentlemen.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
I live near Duke Univ and know lots of grads, profs, coaches there. Duke has similar SA's to GT in terms of choosing Duke for academics. A big difference is that at Duke grading is much easier than GT. Two thirds of their students graduate with Latin degrees (cum laude, magna cum laude, etc) while their student body high school academic profile is very similar to GT. It is not surprising why so many of their SA's end up on the ACC all academic list over other schools. You really have to mess up to get a C there. They don't get into trouble very much either. It does happen occasionally. Seems that the kids that go to the more academic schools do tend to have different standards of ethics and behavior than the factory schools. A good friend that is a Duke grad once told me that when Duke was really bad several years ago, the Duke FB players would get beat by most of the ACC teams but they would rationalize that some day those players from the other teams would be working for them.
When evaluating colleges, my son was told by his Duke your guide that he would be almost guaranteed to graduate in 4yrs. It's no coincidence that they have one of the very highest 4-year graduation rates at +87% if everyone gets a B. One would think that this also helps with APR.

By comparison, GT 4-year grad rate is ~37%. (source US News & World Report). Impressive that our SA can stay on target for academic progress. I couldn't.

....and...no, he didn't choose Duke.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Not that we don't recruit athletes with good character... I mean that the people/coaches at tech do a good job at teaching the student athletes how to be successful at more than just football. It results in less off field incidents.

I've said this all along about PJ - he prefers a guy with character over one who is a character ... though he doesn't mind having guys with a good sense of humor.

Milwaukee

Banned
Smdh.
Serious question: why don't you hang out on gtsportstalk? You really have fallen beneath my contempt in this thread.

Don't let people, myself or any other person, that do not see eye to eye with you, get you upset here. We're all on the same team.

You're gonna be okay, AE. You'll get through this.

Just move on. What else is going on in the off-season thread?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
You're backtracking on previous statements that were completely asinine, but as others have said, let's move on.

We're all on the same team here. If it upsets some of you that some UGA students athletes are actually good kids then you need to take a look at yourself in the mirror.

You guys can continue with your rhetoric, I've said my peace. And it's funny how you guys still haven't acknowledged our SA's problems.

Words of advice: call things down the middle, not just what's in your best interest, and you'll be taken a lot more seriously.

Cheers gentlemen.
I really have no ideal how to respond to someone who cannot understand factual information.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Don't let people, myself or any other person, that do not see eye to eye with you, get you upset here. We're all on the same team.

You're gonna be okay, AE. You'll get through this.

Just move on. What else is going on in the off-season thread?

LOL.

1. Moon landing never happened.
2. Elvis is still alive.
3. CIA created cocaine to keep the poor poor.
4. Your posts in this thread (and probably most of your life opinions)
5. Holocaust never happened.

Milwaukee

Banned
Flea: I really have no ideal how to respond to someone who cannot understand factual information.

No worries man. We disagree, that it all. I'm not upset at you in the least.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
Will you admit that just because people disagree with you that it doesn't mean that they are biased and that you aren't?

I'll admit that you are the most persistent font on the Internet.

I look forward to future debates with you as they are always fun, but let's do the board a favor and put this one to bed.

Cheers mate.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If it upsets some of you that some UGA students athletes are actually good kids then you need to take a look at yourself in the mirror.

I can't speak for anyone else. But here is where I am coming from.

(1) Have I known some great students at uga? Sure. Is everyone there a profligate? Of course not.
(2) Do we get carried away with our uga rhetoric some times because, you know, rivalry? Of course. But it is, in my opinion, nowhere near as out of touch with reality as the stuff I have read on a regular basis on dwag sites.
(3) For me, calling it down the middle does not mean creating a false equivalency between the two schools, which is what it feels like you are doing. Perhaps your sense of fairness compels you to feel you must balance the rhetoric of loyal Tech fans but it still feels like you are stretching a point to the degree that you want others to totally overlook basic facts about arrest records and easy classes at uga.
(4) But I doubt anyone on here is unaware that Tech has had a few discipline problems with players (though not near the record breaking number that uga has) and I also doubt anyone thinks that all Georgia athletes are thugs. I certainly do not.