Official Offseason Thread

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
lol. I know graduates (athletes) from both schools as well, since we're measuring.

I'm just not gonna play along with the Tech is holy and UGA is evil nonsense. That's just absolutely ridiculous. But by all means continue on your crusade.

Mamba out.
I think you are missing the point, no one said UGA has no good kids and that GT has no bad. What was said is that it is worse at UGA than it is a GT. I understand you know student athletes from both schools, but that's still different than experiencing it first had like flea77 and Augusta buzz. I understand there are good kids, and bad kids at both schools, but that doesn't mean its exactly the same at both, all flea77 is trying to say is it's worse at UGA, but yes GT has bad kids as well. A kid that cares about education is generally going to stay clean compared to a kid that could care less imo, and that right there should show exactly what they are saying because of the kids we recruit.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
Am I the only one that is reading this and thinks these two opinions are not that far apart?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying about the drugs but uga has a lot more students which could make it look like a higher percentage when it's really not or it could be GT is smarter about keeping it hid than kids at UGA. I personally don't know just saying this could be a possibility.
If there is anybody on this board I would take at face value on matters concerning UGA and it's football program, it's flea. As he stated and most already know, he is a UGA varsity football letterman with two sons, the eldest playing at UGA the youngest at GT. If anybody can make an accurate comparison between the two programs and schools, it's him.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Calling it down the middle isn't trolling. You're reaching.

You want facts like Reuben Houston, or more recently Darren Waller?

There's no need to go through a list of facts that should be common knowledge.

But I respect your opinion.

I have a tee time gentlemen, let's discuss this further this afternoon.

First of all, thank you for the respectful reply. I will attempt to reciprocate. :)

Perhaps we aren't too far apart. All I was trying to say was that, while GT is not perfect, and UGa is not the devil, there is (in the opinion of many) a reasonable difference between the quality of person in the two programs. I doubt many of us on this board think our athletes are on the same level academically as the rest of the GT student body....they aren't and they get more assistance than the rest of the student body gets. And they aren't all angels (nor is the rest of the student body). The issue is imply one of comparative statements...that we are better (noticeably so) than UGa in these areas. Citing two cases where GT athletes have had issues does not prove that the two programs are equivalent. It simply proves we are not perfect, which no one has argued.

Hope you hit the ball well on the course/ Golf can sometimes be very relaxing (and other times very frustrating...LOL).

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Calling it down the middle isn't trolling. You're reaching.

You want facts like Reuben Houston, or more recently Darren Waller?

There's no need to go through a list of facts that should be common knowledge.

But I respect your opinion.

I have a tee time gentlemen, let's discuss this further this afternoon.
You just made my point. You can add up all the player arrest since CPJ has been the coach and it won't equal the 1 year average at UGA in that same time frame. GT has the same three strike policy as the so called hardest drug policy in the country ( UGA) . GT has much fewer players that have been dismissed during that time period for breaking "team rules" . Now add up the amount of players who GT has lost academically Vs UGA and the numbers get flipped. I did my homework during the recruiting process. My only concern w Will picking GT was how hard it is academically. UGA ranks 3 rd in the nation for arrest over the past 5 years. They on track to break their own record this year. GT is not even mentioned in the top 50. Also since less than 1 % prob actually get caught and arrested it means that that behavior a normal event.

Last edited:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
You just made my point. You can add up all the player arrest since CPJ has been the coach and it won't equal the 1 year average at UGA in that same time frame. GT has the same three strike policy as the so called hardest drug policy in the country ( UGA) . GT has much fewer players that have been dismissed during that time period for breaking "team rules" . Now add up the amount of players who GT has lost academically Vs UGA and the numbers get flipped. I did my homework during the recruiting process. My only concern w Will picking GT was how hard it is academically. UGA ranks 3 rd in the nation for arrest over the past 5 years. They on track to break their own record this year. GT is not even mentioned in the top 50. Also since less than 1 % prob actually get caught and arrested it means that that behavior a normal event.

Exactly what I thought but I am to lazy to quantify.Thanks. Flea

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I tried to edit my poor grammar. My iPhone gets me. They need to give you more time to edit! On another subject. I found out last week that BC is spending 10 days in Ireland. GT is leaving the Weds afternoon before the game. So our guys get no sleep on Thursday and miss 3 days of class. BC does not start classes until after the Ireland trip. That is not a level playing field, but typical. When we play some teams during exam week, they get passes from taking test. Our guys get 6 hours of sleep in 2 days. GT is different, but that is one reason they are so easy to pull for.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm just not gonna play along with the Tech is holy and UGA is evil nonsense.
I appreciate that you are sticking up for our brothers in Athens. We do need to remember that they are human beings. However, when someone starts exaggerating the arguments of their opponent I get suspicious. I don't think anyone said we were perfect or that they were the embodiment of evil.
So, just to clarify, are you saying there is no difference between Tech athletes and UGA athletes or that the respective programs have the same degree of integrity? Just trying to figure out your point of view here.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I tried to edit my poor grammar. My iPhone gets me. They need to give you more time to edit! On another subject. I found out last week that BC is spending 10 days in Ireland. GT is leaving the Weds afternoon before the game. So our guys get no sleep on Thursday and miss 3 days of class. BC does not start classes until after the Ireland trip. That is not a level playing field, but typical. When we play some teams during exam week, they get passes from taking test. Our guys get 6 hours of sleep in 2 days. GT is different, but that is one reason they are so easy to pull for.
Bill Curry used to talk about that, mentioning that in his day players had Saturday morning classes prior to the game.

Milwaukee

Banned
I appreciate that you are sticking up for our brothers in Athens. We do need to remember that they are human beings. However, when someone starts exaggerating the arguments of their opponent I get suspicious. I don't think anyone said we were perfect or that they were the embodiment of evil.
So, just to clarify, are you saying there is no difference between Tech athletes and UGA athletes or that the respective programs have the same degree of integrity? Just trying to figure out your point of view here.

Not at all brother. I know for a fact that certain programs at Tech are on another level compared to programs at UGA. But don't be naive, I know cats that have great degrees and great careers that went through the University of Georgia and they worked their *** off to get to the successful point they are in their lives.

So, to answer your question in which you are trying to pigeon hole me:
- Do I think UGA is a better academic institution than Tech? No. HELL NO.
- Do I think there is no difference between Tech athletes and UGA athletes? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Period.

The numbers are in our favor of better quality student athletes (I know that sounds wrong, but it's just my opinion...no disrespect to UGA), but it's a BS argument that I've seen all too much within the Tech fan base to say that you can just show up and sleep through class and get a degree from UGA. There's one thing to say it in fun, poking fun, but most of you cats actually believe that, which is kind of sad.

I threw out only 2 examples earlier cause I don't want to "sling mud" on our former SA's, but come on, there are DOZENS we've had that got into trouble of some sort. It happens with every program. #GlassHouseSyndrome

In closing - Here's a question I'll ask and answer myself though:

Do I think most Tech SA's are of higher potential than UGA SA's? Yes. Hell yes.

Milwaukee

Banned
What course?

Pewaukee Golf Club about a half hour west of Milwaukee, had a golf outing with a customer of mine. Not an upscale course by any means, just a party/fun course. Plays 6300yds from the tips but it was really weird, the par 4's were crazy short and the par 3's were crazy long (200-225 today). It was my first time there, I enjoyed it. Had a 220yd par 3, I knocked a 6 iron stiff to 4 feet...2 putted for par. Typical.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Pewaukee Golf Club about a half hour west of Milwaukee, had a golf outing with a customer of mine. Not an upscale course by any means, just a party/fun course. Plays 6300yds from the tips but it was really weird, the par 4's were crazy short and the par 3's were crazy long (200-225 today). It was my first time there, I enjoyed it. Had a 220yd par 3, I knocked a 6 iron stiff to 4 feet...2 putted for par. Typical.
6 iron 220? Not to bad! I can drive over 300 but I really need to work on delofting my clubs at impact for better distance and a better ball flight instead of towering sky scraper shots lol.

Sorry for these post on the wrong thread guys I'm done lol.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Not at all brother. I know for a fact that certain programs at Tech are on another level compared to programs at UGA. But don't be naive, I know cats that have great degrees and great careers that went through the University of Georgia and they worked their *** off to get to the successful point they are in their lives.

So, to answer your question in which you are trying to pigeon hole me:
- Do I think UGA is a better academic institution than Tech? No. HELL NO.
- Do I think there is no difference between Tech athletes and UGA athletes? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Period.

The numbers are in our favor of better quality student athletes (I know that sounds wrong, but it's just my opinion...no disrespect to UGA), but it's a BS argument that I've seen all too much within the Tech fan base to say that you can just show up and sleep through class and get a degree from UGA. There's one thing to say it in fun, poking fun, but most of you cats actually believe that, which is kind of sad.

I threw out only 2 examples earlier cause I don't want to "sling mud" on our former SA's, but come on, there are DOZENS we've had that got into trouble of some sort. It happens with every program. #GlassHouseSyndrome

In closing - Here's a question I'll ask and answer myself though:

Do I think most Tech SA's are of higher potential than UGA SA's? Yes. Hell yes.
No one said you can sleep thru class and get a degree. You can sleep thru some classes at UGA and stay eligible ( if your a elite player). UGA has much easier paths to maintain their 40/60/80 requirements.