Official Offseason Thread

Milwaukee

Banned
6 iron 220? Not to bad! I can drive over 300 but I really need to work on delofting my clubs at impact for better distance and a better ball flight instead of towering sky scraper shots lol.

Sorry for these post on the wrong thread guys I'm done lol.

I love talking golf, so we may as well keep it here until it gets moved. I wish I could drive the ball 300yds like you, but I'm typically 250-260. My irons on the other hand are solid and long, and I hit my rescue hybrid 230.

If you have any pointers to help me get consistent off the tee I'd love to hear it. My fairways hit % is trending downwards. My natural swing is a high fade (I'm a southpaw) but I've been trying to work on a left to right draw and it's giving me trouble, it's on when it's on but it's just not consistent at this point.

Milwaukee

Banned
No one said you can sleep thru class and get a degree. You can sleep thru some classes at UGA and stay eligible ( if your a elite player). UGA has much easier paths to maintain their 40/60/80 requirements.

I thought you did say that in an earlier post. If not, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Completely agree with your post though, 100%. But you can coast through classes and stay eligible at Tech too; you won't graduate, but you can stay eligible to play ball. Morgan Burnett, Bebe Thomas, Derrick Morgan - just some recent names.

Bottom line is we do the same sort of thing UGA and other schools do, we just don't do it on the same larger scale that they do it simply because we don't have the studs that are looking to leave early (for the most part, there are expections). But we do it, none the less. The only reason we don't do it more is because of the Hill.

But we're splitting hairs. We're all on the same side. We all know our boys (for the most part) have a tougher academic schedule and that in itself is one of the reasons we love Tech. Our SA's require a little more internal fortitude than those of the other schools in our conference, as well as the SEC.

But that monster 07 class we signed - how many did we keep eligible until they left early...and got us put on probation on their way out, stripping an ACC Championship from us in the process. And how many have Tech degrees? That's something we don't like to talk about at office parties, but those are facts gentlemen.

It works both ways is all I'm saying.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought you did say that in an earlier post. If not, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Completely agree with your post though, 100%. But you can coast through classes and stay eligible at Tech too; you won't graduate, but you can stay eligible to play ball. Morgan Burnett, Bebe Thomas, Derrick Morgan - just some recent names.

Bottom line is we do the same sort of thing UGA and other schools do, we just don't do it on the same larger scale that they do it simply because we don't have the studs that are looking to leave early (for the most part, there are expections). But we do it, none the less. The only reason we don't do it more is because of the Hill.

But we're splitting hairs. We're all on the same side. We all know our boys (for the most part) have a tougher academic schedule and that in itself is one of the reasons we love Tech. Our SA's require a little more internal fortitude than those of the other schools in our conference, as well as the SEC.

But that monster 07 class we signed - how many did we keep eligible until they left early...and got us put on probation on their way out, stripping an ACC Championship from us in the process. And how many have Tech degrees? That's something we don't like to talk about at office parties, but those are facts gentlemen.

2007 , That was 10 years ago. $ 312.00 shocking . Just some "recent names" your stuck in a earlier decade. :)

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Pretty small sample size, but pretty par for the course amongst the Tech fans. I've been hearing that same mumbo jumbo for years. Tech is good, UGA is bad. We are great young men, they are thugs. We are a southern MIT, they are barely accredited, you can just show up and get a degree, Yada Yada Yada.

Whatever helps you sleep at night and whatever helps you feel better about that 13-2 run Richt and his boys have paddled us with for more than a decade.

Do they have bad apples? Hell yes. Does Tech have bad apples? Hell yes.
When did you go to GT? Did you play sports at GT? What drives someone to stick up for the enemy?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I live near Duke Univ and know lots of grads, profs, coaches there. Duke has similar SA's to GT in terms of choosing Duke for academics. A big difference is that at Duke grading is much easier than GT. Two thirds of their students graduate with Latin degrees (cum laude, magna cum laude, etc) while their student body high school academic profile is very similar to GT. It is not surprising why so many of their SA's end up on the ACC all academic list over other schools. You really have to mess up to get a C there. They don't get into trouble very much either. It does happen occasionally. Seems that the kids that go to the more academic schools do tend to have different standards of ethics and behavior than the factory schools. A good friend that is a Duke grad once told me that when Duke was really bad several years ago, the Duke FB players would get beat by most of the ACC teams but they would rationalize that some day those players from the other teams would be working for them.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I love talking golf, so we may as well keep it here until it gets moved. I wish I could drive the ball 300yds like you, but I'm typically 250-260. My irons on the other hand are solid and long, and I hit my rescue hybrid 230.

If you have any pointers to help me get consistent off the tee I'd love to hear it. My fairways hit % is trending downwards. My natural swing is a high fade (I'm a southpaw) but I've been trying to work on a left to right draw and it's giving me trouble, it's on when it's on but it's just not consistent at this point.
Learning to shape the ball is very difficult, when my drive is on I hit pretty straight with the occasional fade or slice if I'm getting tired. Main thing imo for hitting long is lag and hips. I have really be concentrating on getting good weight shift forward before my hands come all the way down to help with lag, and for getting explosion with my hips I try to have my body drop down just a little lower during my weight shift than on my back swing and then explode up and get my hips really turning (Speith does this really well). I don't know how you try to hit a draw, but a lot of people will try to position their body different when all you really need to do is have a swing path a little left of your target since you are left handed but your club head aimed at the target at impact because the ball will start in the direction of your swing path but will end up in the direction of your club head. As far as hitting the fair way it's all about your club head at impact think about almost over doing it and getting the back of your right hand square at impact which should make your club head square, if you think about over doing it hopefully it will actually just straighten it up if the back of your hand is actually a little open.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Why don't you tell us?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Georgia DL Jonathan Ledbetter arrested on alcohol-related charges again. yhoo.it/29sLTvX

Ledbetter makes me think of Jerry Clower. Anyway, another UGA arrest.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Georgia DL Jonathan Ledbetter arrested on alcohol-related charges again. yhoo.it/29sLTvX

Ledbetter makes me think of Jerry Clower. Anyway, another UGA arrest.
While I hate to see our opponents be weakened by injuries, I will gladly celebrate them weakening themselves by pure dumbassery. This guy needs to get in alcohol treatment fast before he hurts someone.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I live near Duke Univ and know lots of grads, profs, coaches there. Duke has similar SA's to GT in terms of choosing Duke for academics. A big difference is that at Duke grading is much easier than GT. Two thirds of their students graduate with Latin degrees (cum laude, magna cum laude, etc) while their student body high school academic profile is very similar to GT. It is not surprising why so many of their SA's end up on the ACC all academic list over other schools. You really have to mess up to get a C there. They don't get into trouble very much either. It does happen occasionally. Seems that the kids that go to the more academic schools do tend to have different standards of ethics and behavior than the factory schools. A good friend that is a Duke grad once told me that when Duke was really bad several years ago, the Duke FB players would get beat by most of the ACC teams but they would rationalize that some day those players from the other teams would be working for them.
A few years ago, according to the Duke professors that I knew, grade inflation was a huge problem. A study with resulting paper was processed through the administration dealing with this and a related factor which was drinking. There were anecdotal stories of too many students showing up in class either hung over or intoxicated resulting in subtle grade inflation to keep retention up. It was an issue the school tried to address. Do not know how that turned out or how things are now.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Not that we don't recruit athletes with good character... I mean that the people/coaches at tech do a good job at teaching the student athletes how to be successful at more than just football. It results in less off field incidents.