Official GT announcement, OC and DC

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
First off, while our OFEI was great, what would it have been if you take away the BG and L'ville games (2 of the 8 worst ranked teams in F+ rankings in all of college football).
Not sure if you don’t understand how FEI works or not, but them being bad hurts our OFEI because it is adjusted for strength of opponent. Every time they got blown out, our OFEI got worse. What really inflated us was actually the Miami game where we performed much better than most teams against them. It also ignores scores after the score is considered a blow out. Based on how they define a blowout, the majority of the third quarter of Louisville wasn’t even counted. Most of the BG game as well.

Animal02

Banned
Ideally, we would make changes for improvement only. CPJ retired and we replaced him with CGC who felt it would be better to change offensive styles. I don't doubt that the offense will be worse statistically, not just next year but most likely in future years as well. I do believe that the defense will improve from previous years and hope that the offense trends trends up throughout the transition to help make the overall team better.

I think we are on the same page that hopefully the decreased offensive production will be offset by the improved defensive/ST production and we will improve as a team.
Don't think it was Collins thinking we needed to change the O.....it was TStan who made the hire to do that.....

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You seem like a smart guy. How does passing more and producing less offense improve the entire team?

I’m all for passing more to create more options. We haven’t done well there for some time.

But the answer is always ... we will improve as a team by decreasing offensive production and better defense.

How about same offense performance and better defense? That’s the Six Sigma in me.

I’m just interested in why so many on the board seem to want less offense. So far, no coherent answer.

Well, one thing Collins talked about in his press conference is having an NFL based defense practice against an NFL based offense. So, the theory is that it could actually improve the defense, yes. I dunno how much weight I put in that, but its fair to speculate, given CPJ's inability to improve the defense.

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't think it was Collins thinking we needed to change the O.....it was TStan who made the hire to do that.....

You are most likely correct that it is TStan's decision and not CGC's to change the offense. Either way, we are moving away from the current offense and I believe this will result in a worse offensive season statistically over the next few years. Hopefully we will improve offensively as we transition and get back to an adequate level over time. Defensively, I expect us to improve from recent years and perform at a higher level. Ideally, special teams will be average to above average. Hopefully, this will result in a better overall result. Time will tell.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, one thing Collins talked about in his press conference is having an NFL based defense practice against an NFL based offense. So, the theory is that it could actually improve the defense, yes. I dunno how much weight I put in that, but its fair to speculate, given CPJ's inability to improve the defense.

That and other teams recruited against us by telling defensive recruits they would be getting cut in practice a ridiculous amount.

Initially in Paul's tenure, I didnt buy the whole "the practice against the 3O so their D suffers against other offenses because they dont see it in practice." However, after watching turnover at DC on Pauls watch and middling defense year after year, I totally believe Paul's offense affected not only the on field defensive performance, but recruiting as well.

So while not directly attributable to "passing only," our defense stands to improve by GT going to a more standard and conventional offense.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
and neither the GT O or D looked good for a single minute against Minnesota. Really tells us nothing.

I didn't watch the game but it could tell us a lot. If the schemes and play calling/coaching were insufficient that tells us something if the players themselves performed poorly then maybe not.

Was it Ridley, Ryan and Juilo Jones or was the Falcons OC

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
They are on YouTube. Take a look. You will see his "fast-paced" and "exciting pro style offense" is, well, slant, curl, hook, start over. And very seriously, if Collins considered Temple's offense "fast paced" he is in for a rude awakening come next Aug. 29 when Clemson starts out to prove they deserve to go back to the NC series. Somehow I do not see Venables holding three days of practice in the spring specifically for the GT offense and another two days in the fall. I give a new guy some Kentucky windage in his proclamations of the coming greatness but I don't see anything from those two coordinators that matched them against the likes of the ACC, even if there is another down year. Seems he picked familiar faces, not bad in itself but worrisome if he is expected to recruit staff talent.
What he did at Temple is not his typical system. Kinda went with the skill set he had at Temple. You will see a lot more RPO’s, options, zone reads ect imo. Go watch what he did at Costal Carolina.

Animal02

Banned
That and other teams recruited against us by telling defensive recruits they would be getting cut in practice a ridiculous amount.

Initially in Paul's tenure, I didnt buy the whole "the practice against the 3O so their D suffers against other offenses because they dont see it in practice." However, after watching turnover at DC on Pauls watch and middling defense year after year, I totally believe Paul's offense affected not only the on field defensive performance, but recruiting as well.

So while not directly attributable to "passing only," our defense stands to improve by GT going to a more standard and conventional offense.
And the drop in spending compared to the rest of the league had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:
You believe the myth because you want to believe it.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

I think this will give some insight on what to expect from a Coach Patenaude offense

A lot of variety on formations

A lot pulling by the OL which suites our Lineman

Downhill run game

Not many timing routes where the QB has to hold

the ball a long time to put our OT in danger

Typical uninspired NCAA offense. Doesn't mean it can't be good, but nothing new different there. I think what will happen at GT is that we will probably go away from favoring running over passing in a QB so heavily to favoring passing over running pretty heavily and we will end up with guys who can run for a couple of hundred yards in the season instead of 600-700.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I think our conventional defense going against our conventional offense might teach our defense how to defend our offense, should they ever play one another, and the way Collins is yapping, that might come in the ACC championship game. I question its usefulness in defending, say, Clemson's now "conventional" offense or an entire array of ACC spread offenses that based on what I saw in the Temple tape are far more sophisticated than Collins's offense, but are run by an array of four- and five-stars who are quicker, faster, bigger and stronger than us, as several other teams just in our division will be. The dropoff in skill level is enormous, and I don't think that will change.

slugboy

Staff member
Here are the gross stats for Temple 2018

Code:
             Pass Pass Pass  Pass Pass Rush  Rush Rush Rush  Tota  Tota Tota Firs Firs Firs Firs Pena  Pena Turn Turn Turn
Split         Cmp  Att  Pct   Yds   TD  Att   Yds  Avg   TD Plays   Yds  Avg Pass Rush  Pen  Tot  No.   Yds  Fum  Int  Tot
Offense      19.4 34.0 57.0 253.6  1.5 37.5 157.8  4.2  2.2  71.5 411.5  5.8 11.8  8.0  1.2 21.1  7.3  70.1  0.5  1.5  1.9
Defense      18.5 33.7 55.0 187.4  1.8 45.8 187.1  4.1  1.7  79.5 374.5  4.7  8.9 10.9  3.0 22.8  6.4  51.4  1.0  1.4  2.4
Difference   +0.9 +0.3 +2.0 +66.2 -0.3 -8.3 -29.3 +0.1 +0.5  -8.0 +37.0 +1.1 +2.9 -2.9 -1.8 -1.7 +0.9 +18.7 -0.5 +0.1 -0.5

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 1/1/2019.

On offense, they ran slightly more run plays than pass plays, but the majority of their yards were through the air. More TDs came on the ground, so they’re willing to rush in short yardage.
Their TE was their #6 receiver, behind a running back and 5 wide receivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Typical uninspired NCAA offense. Doesn't mean it can't be good, but nothing new different there. I think what will happen at GT is that we will probably go away from favoring running over passing in a QB so heavily to favoring passing over running pretty heavily and we will end up with guys who can run for a couple of hundred yards in the season instead of 600-700.
The NFL follows the NCAA it seems, except at least some in the NCAA will be creative. But the real innovation comes out of high schools these days, and neither the NCAA or NFL want to admit such things. And so most colleges run boring spreads and call for RPO or zone reads, which is really just a mass of humanity stumbling left or right in a dance of elephants and a QB throwing five or six yards for first downs.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Here are the gross stats for Temple 2018

Code:
             Pass Pass Pass  Pass Pass Rush  Rush Rush Rush  Tota  Tota Tota Firs Firs Firs Firs Pena  Pena Turn Turn Turn
Split         Cmp  Att  Pct   Yds   TD  Att   Yds  Avg   TD Plays   Yds  Avg Pass Rush  Pen  Tot  No.   Yds  Fum  Int  Tot
Offense      19.4 34.0 57.0 253.6  1.5 37.5 157.8  4.2  2.2  71.5 411.5  5.8 11.8  8.0  1.2 21.1  7.3  70.1  0.5  1.5  1.9
Defense      18.5 33.7 55.0 187.4  1.8 45.8 187.1  4.1  1.7  79.5 374.5  4.7  8.9 10.9  3.0 22.8  6.4  51.4  1.0  1.4  2.4
Difference   +0.9 +0.3 +2.0 +66.2 -0.3 -8.3 -29.3 +0.1 +0.5  -8.0 +37.0 +1.1 +2.9 -2.9 -1.8 -1.7 +0.9 +18.7 -0.5 +0.1 -0.5

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 1/1/2019.

On offense, they ran slightly more run plays than pass plays, but the majority of their yards were through the air. More TDs came on the ground, so they’re willing to rush in short yardage.
Their TE was their #6 receiver, behind a running back and 5 wide receivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Can you point us to the average yards per completion or per attempt?