Official GT announcement, OC and DC

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I haven’t watched yet, but from what he described I was thinking Pitt, in regards to multiple formations, downhill running, pulling OL,and timing routes. Maybe a little Clemson.

Pitt is probably a decent comparison too. Clemson maybe with Lawrence, not with Bryant. There's probably 5-6 teams that look pretty similar. In my opinion it depends on what type of QB they recruit going forward. True dual threat or a passer who can run a little.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused?? My question is,,,, we've moved from the 3O,,, some of us don't like pro style,, some don't like RPO,,,
Is coach P going to have to invent a new unknown offense to be successful & make people happy? A serious question! What needs to be done?

Marry CPJ's spread option with Leach's Air Raid at HUNH pace.

Do it, Patenaude!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I didn't watch the game but it could tell us a lot. If the schemes and play calling/coaching were insufficient that tells us something if the players themselves performed poorly then maybe not.

Was it Ridley, Ryan and Juilo Jones or was the Falcons OC
It was a crummy Oline that kept collapsing on Ryan and which couldn't open holes for the run game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is interesting try to forecast what our offense will look like. Will Patenaude try to run what he always ran at other places, or will he take portions of it and try and fit it to what our kids can do while in transition? Personally, I hope it is the latter. Deep snaps don't worry me so much. I think every QB we have in our system right now was doing it in HS. They will probably be comfortable. I welcome more passing, so long as we can do it effectively. My guess is we end up running 2/3 of the time out of a deep snap option base.

On defense, I would love for the evidence to finally pour in that practicing against and recruiting against the 3O has hurt our defense all along. I not sure it has been true, but I am not sure it hasn't been either. While I have truly relished the offensive success we had under CPJ, the defense has often been infuriating. One of the fundamental truths about this sport is that defense wins championships. Thacker sounds fine to me and I am completely happy with a defense minded HC. I am looking forward to an era where we can struggle on offense for a few series, like against MINN, and still have a chance in the game because our defense is doing the same to the opponent.

Most likely, we are headed to a Chan like era, EXCEPT in that, hopefully, we actually are able to recruit a QB who elevates the team. At the time, I was against the Chan firing, as I felt like he was always just a QB away from having consistently very good football teams. It is hard to really have confidence in your team or program when you either can't play solid defense consistently, or recruit a top notch QB to run the show. It seems we have not had both at the same time in quite a while.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused?? My question is,,,, we've moved from the 3O,,, some of us don't like pro style,, some don't like RPO,,,
Is coach P going to have to invent a new unknown offense to be successful & make people happy? A serious question! What needs to be done?

People are way too obsessed with scheme. It is about perfecting whatever you choose to do and executing it at a high level, and having talented players. There is no magical scheme anymore if there ever was. .not even the 3O. It is hard for some Tech fans to let go of this obsession, because our identity has been tied to a very specific offensive philosophy for so long.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow

I think CGC has known what we will be running all along. However, he simply refers to it as NFL style.

This is like when a realtor shows you a “Victorian” or a “Craftsman” house. It is absolutely never ever ever ever accurate but who gives a %#^$ because it sells the house. That house may have one detail that resembles a certain style but you only harp on what the client wants to hear.

Kids want to hear NFL style. And honestly, who’s to say which offenseive style is which. Urban Meyer used to ask CPJ about his offense but he didn’t want to be labeled a true option coach due to the stigma. So he always sprinkled in other wrinkles to get the best of both worlds.

I for one am content to let CGC continue to vaguely define the offense as NFL style and then run whatever the hell works.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
People are way too obsessed with scheme. It is about perfecting whatever you choose to do and executing it at a high level, and having talented players. There is no magical scheme anymore if there ever was. .not even the 3O. It is hard for some Tech fans to let go of this obsession, because our identity has been tied to a very specific offensive philosophy for so long.
Scheme isn’t everything but let’s not kid ourselves that it can’t help be an equalizer to an extent.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Alabama has 29 assistants not on the direct coaching staff. Clemson’s not much different. If we want to climb from 50th in the rankings to Top 25, well we’ve got a lot of work to do to close that gap. Top schools have been adding layers & layers of support staff in the last decade. GT did nothing & watched them all build dynasties. We all want to complain about it now, but if the new OC & DC are not armed with the same level of resources we’re going to keep staring at the lead dog’s butts wondering why this new shiny change that’s got some all excited didn’t pan out the way we all want.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Alabama has 29 assistants not on the direct coaching staff. Clemson’s not much different. If we want to climb from 50th in the rankings to Top 25, well we’ve got a lot of work to do to close that gap. Top schools have been adding layers & layers of support staff in the last decade. GT did nothing & watched them all build dynasties. We all want to complain about it now, but if the new OC & DC are not armed with the same level of resources we’re going to keep staring at the lead dog’s butts wondering why this new shiny change that’s got some all excited didn’t pan out the way we all want.

Absolutely. We've fallen behind in spending and staffing. I think Stansbury knows this and will listen when Collins asks for more... but the staff has to do their part and show we can win big games. I'm excited... but cautiously so. We cannot keep up with teams that are putting 50 man staff's together. I hope that we can bridge the gap at least a little bit.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m curious whether we fit the players we have to the offensive and defensive schemes, or vice versa. I’ve heard more towards fitting players to the scheme, but Collins’ recruiting approach makes me think tweaking the scheme for players is possible.

I think we’ll know better once spring practice starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
Absolutely. We've fallen behind in spending and staffing. I think Stansbury knows this and will listen when Collins asks for more... but the staff has to do their part and show we can win big games. I'm excited... but cautiously so. We cannot keep up with teams that are putting 50 man staff's together. I hope that we can bridge the gap at least a little bit.
Not saying the staff cannot make improvements without resources, I just don’t think many on here understand how far and how fast we’re falling behind the pack in the arms race. Not just with the elite teams, but what some believe to be teams we should beat easily every year. I think GT has 6 assistants outside of the 14 everyone officially designates. Pitt for example has 23. Bigger isn’t always better but we should be at least able to see the competition.

If you’ve ever run a organization with a lean management structure and under-resourced in critical operational areas & you’re trying to keep up with the competition you know what I’m talking about.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Scheme isn’t everything but let’s not kid ourselves that it can’t help be an equalizer to an extent.

To some extent, yes, but its no surprise that in our best years with it, we had our most talented teams with the most drafted players. Even CPJ has said scheme gets too much attention.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think CGC has known what we will be running all along. However, he simply refers to it as NFL style.

This is like when a realtor shows you a “Victorian” or a “Craftsman” house. It is absolutely never ever ever ever accurate but who gives a %#^$ because it sells the house. That house may have one detail that resembles a certain style but you only harp on what the client wants to hear.

Kids want to hear NFL style. And honestly, who’s to say which offenseive style is which. Urban Meyer used to ask CPJ about his offense but he didn’t want to be labeled a true option coach due to the stigma. So he always sprinkled in other wrinkles to get the best of both worlds.

I for one am content to let CGC continue to vaguely define the offense as NFL style and then run whatever the hell works.

This is the most accurate thing that's been said about our offense (and defense for that matter). CGC is savvy, and he doesn't want his offense to limit any guys he may recruit. If you notice the skill players he's following on twitter, he's following Pro Style QBs, Dual Threat QBs, slashing RBs, N/S RBs, small slots, big target WRs, etc. He's not limiting his personnel. Now what good is it to say "I want to put some option in...."? Nothing, because a Pro Style QB will get negatively recruited as other schools will say "GT is running an option....that won't get you to the NFL." We already went through that.

IMO, CGC is being extremely smart on how he's marketing GT right now. He's got a blank slate, and he's defining the program not letting other's define it. Saying NFL opens so much up in recruiting and keeping it general that we're not limiting ourselves in recruiting.

Patenaude will be just fine. He's shown the ability to take talent and make it productive at Temple and Coastal Carolina. His offenses produce. CGC is a defensive guy, I'm he's analyzed the impact of Patenaude's offenses.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As we all know Moores law has changed the world. My 2a hs coaching son team has cloud based services that help games breakdown, avoid playcalling tendencies, map tendencies for opponents. With their limited budget and this service he does a lot more detail game planning.

I wonder if matching people is something bc to mimic

As an aside, when he and family got to see the inner workings of the green bay packers practice facilities , he saw a computer controlled blocking simulator.
( probably not right description). The linemen set up in called splits . They are wearing those virtual reality head sets. What is displayed is the next opponents defense. The play is called, line calls made, opponents shift, more line call made. Then the snap and players AND VIDEO OPONETNTS MOVE as if real play for a short period. Everything is recorded and analyzed.
I am not saying dont hire staff and I am not saying buy bleeding edge tech gimmics.

In 84 had a one man engineering company when I bought the first IBM 64 PC w 2 floppy drives. Print money. Then in late 80s / early we were first pipeline survey company to make gps work on pipelines. Ditto $$. Next we were first to integrate GIS into pipeline project management. By being dedicated to looking for USABLE tech advances and having really good people (ae) we became a major pipeline epcm company.

I think this new staff is more likely to be tech savvy. But if they are not good coaches, it won't matter.