Official GT announcement, OC and DC

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Not excited about the OC but more than ready to be proven wrong.

Thacker seems like a good hire. Temples defensive stats are impressive. But I kinda have to take it with a grain of salt considering they played AAC opponents.

Let’s see how this works out for him...

Thacker seems like a good hire. Temples defensive stats are impressive. But I kinda have to take it with a grain of salt considering they played AAC opponents.

Neither the Temple D nor the O looked good in the second half against Duke.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
P5 Duke SHOULD stomp a team like Temple. I could care less how that game went. I want to see the entire body of work against their conference, not how they did against a team that should beat them. Just like I wouldn't base Johnson's work on how we did against Clemson who has won 57 of their last 61 games. I want to see the entire body of work.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

The AAC has some really good football programs. Houston, Cincinnati, USF, UCF are all good programs. Temple's only conference loss was to UCF and their only other losses were to Boston College, Duke, Buffalo (won 10 games this year), and Villanova (really their only unexplainable loss this year). They thrashed Maryland pretty good this year and beat USF, Cincinnati, and Houston.
I like the hires. I was a little suspicious of Patenaude at first, but I looked up his resume and he has a lot of experience. I love what he did at Coastal Carolina and I think some of his perceived "struggles" at Temple were because the players didn't really fit his scheme. I believe our players are actually good fits for what he wants to do. Only time will tell though if he is a good hire.
On the other hand, Thacker is a young (only 33) up and coming coach. Love that hire and I love that an NFL team was willing to take a chance on him even though he was 29.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude, who will also coach Georgia Tech’s quarterbacks, is a 28-year collegiate coaching veteran. Under his direction, Temple put together two of the three highest single-season passing totals in school history (3,273 yards in 2017, 3,297 yards in 2018) and ranks 24th nationally in scoring offense this season. Individually, TU running back Ryquell Armstrong ranks second in the American Athletic Conference and 14th nationally in rushing (109.8 ypg) and wide receiver Randle Jones ranks third in the AAC and 13th nationally in yards per reception (19.35 avg.) this season.

A metro-Atlanta native (Cartersville, Ga.), Thacker was promoted to Temple’s defensive coordinator in 2018 after joining Collins’ TU staff in 2017 as linebackers coach. With Thacker as coordinator, Temple’s defense scored eight defensive touchdowns (No. 1 nationally), forced 31 turnovers (No. 3 nationally), recovered 13 fumbles (No. 3 nationally) and intercepted 18 passes (No. 4 nationally). He’ll coach Georgia Tech’s linebackers in addition to his duties as defensive coordinator.

I mean, those stats aren't everything, but they certainly don't mean nothing either.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude: French word for “he’s going to be homesick”. I just read an article where he stated he was happy to get hired by Temple because he would be much closer to his home state of Connecticut than when he was at Coastal Carolina.

I was happy about Collins and Thacker because they’re local and might be looking at GT as a long-term gig.

We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
Patenaude: French word for “he’s going to be homesick”. I just read an article where he stated he was happy to get hired by Temple because he would be much closer to his home state of Connecticut than when he was at Coastal Carolina.

I was happy about Collins and Thacker because they’re local and might be looking at GT as a long-term gig.

We will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't care where an assistant coach comes from it doesn't matter all that much:cigar: I think Coach Patenaude will do a quality job coaching the offense at Georgia Tech;)

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The upside is that hopefully these guys are cheap. Collins is going to run the defense so the DC hire shouldn't be a concern. If the offense faceplants then hopefully Patenaude gets replaced in a few years and the job will be much more attractive if we recruit the way Collins is hoping.