Official GT announcement, OC and DC

slugboy

Staff member
Can you point us to the average yards per completion or per attempt?

I have it by passer. If I bring it into something else (or do it by hand), I can roll it up
Code:
                                                       Pass
Rk          Player  Cmp Att  Pct  Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int  Rate
1    Anthony Russo  198 345 57.4 2563 7.4  6.4 14  14 125.1
2     Frank Nutile   42  75 56.0  585 7.8  5.9  4   5 125.8
3     Todd Centeio   12  18 66.7  149 8.3 10.5  2   0 172.9
4    Isaiah Wright    0   1  0.0    0 0.0  0.0  0   0   0.0

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 1/1/2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ideally, we would make changes for improvement only. CPJ retired and we replaced him with CGC who felt it would be better to change offensive styles. I don't doubt that the offense will be worse statistically, not just next year but most likely in future years as well. I do believe that the defense will improve from previous years and hope that the offense trends trends up throughout the transition to help make the overall team better.

I think we are on the same page that hopefully the decreased offensive production will be offset by the improved defensive/ST production and we will improve as a team.

Agree. And if we don’t have a top 40 defense in four years....things will be dicey.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When you don't get the support needed to compete....why bother to continue....

This. And if CGC doesn’t get better treatment...not only won’t he do as well as we all hope...he won’t hang around for a decade waiting.

Luckily I think TStan is gonna make a real try at getting it done. If he fails it won’t be from a lack of want to. It will be from a lack of able to. Tech has to buy in with this regime. Otherwise we truly will settle for an eternity of mediocrity.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Won't have a HC who is conflicted and answers questions in press conferences after losses implying it ain't his fault. "We didn't execute. We couldn't get them off the field. Offense didn't get the ball enough."

Someone write to CGC and let him know these kind of answers will NOT be tolerated at Tech!! Lololol

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Typical uninspired NCAA offense. Doesn't mean it can't be good, but nothing new different there. I think what will happen at GT is that we will probably go away from favoring running over passing in a QB so heavily to favoring passing over running pretty heavily and we will end up with guys who can run for a couple of hundred yards in the season instead of 600-700.

If we go away from the run, everything CGC said was a lie regarding putting the roster in the best position to win

Animal02

Banned
This. And if CGC doesn’t get better treatment...not only won’t he do as well as we all hope...he won’t hang around for a decade waiting.

Luckily I think TStan is gonna make a real try at getting it done. If he fails it won’t be from a lack of want to. It will be from a lack of able to. Tech has to buy in with this regime. Otherwise we truly will settle for an eternity of mediocrity.
If Collins does real well, he won't be around long either.....He will find his next dream job at twice the salary and half the hassle. If he lays an egg, he won't be around long either.
One of the reasons I don't think the hire was so great.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
If we go away from the run, everything CGC said was a lie regarding putting the roster in the best position to win
I don't know if it will happen next year, but I will be willing to bet by year three we are about 50/50 run/pass (I would say at best 55% run). That's what Patenaude did at CC, that's what he did at Temple. That's fine, his offenses are decent. Not the worst, not the best.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

++++

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

I think this will give some insight on what to expect from a Coach Patenaude offense

A lot of variety on formations

A lot pulling by the OL which suites our Lineman

Downhill run game

Not many timing routes where the QB has to hold

the ball a long time to put our OT in danger

What team in the ACC would you say runs something similar to this, if any?

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Question: We will be moving from an offense rating of 17th to that of Temple’s, 56th. Is this an improvement because we’re passing more?

Where are we ranked 17th? And where is Temple ranked 56th?

Scoring offense: 33rd (temple was 24th)
Total offense (yds): 61st (Temple was 60th)

Ah, I see, it's FEI from the Football Outsiders. Our Defensive FEI was 108 and Temple's was 25, so I guess if I had to choose I would take 56th/25th over 17th/108th. I think Temple was probably better as a total football team, based on the FEI numbers.

EDIT: I didn't see it before, but our Total FEI ranking was 71st, and Temple's was 35th. So, if that's your metric for coaching staff selection, you'd probably take Temple's.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Or if the hill doesn't they may have us follow once mighty bucknell into patriot league and be awesome. We are All stem now! Ugh!

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm confused?? My question is,,,, we've moved from the 3O,,, some of us don't like pro style,, some don't like RPO,,,
Is coach P going to have to invent a new unknown offense to be successful & make people happy? A serious question! What needs to be done?

slugboy

Staff member

No kidding. However, I bet this is the most excited our receivers have ever been going into spring practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused?? My question is,,,, we've moved from the 3O,,, some of us don't like pro style,, some don't like RPO,,,
Is coach P going to have to invent a new unknown offense to be successful & make people happy? A serious question! What needs to be done?
Just win, baby.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

What needs to be done - fans should stop worrying about scheme. What everyone likes is winning, so that is probably what will make people happy.