Official GT announcement, OC and DC

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No. We aren’t. But shouldn’t the reason to change be to improve the offense?

I’ll wager a$100 today that we don’t finish in the top 20 offenses next year. Even if we do pass more.

I agree we will likely take a step back on yards and points. But there are 2 other phases of the game that could more than make up for it. Gimme wins over offense rankings. Also, if passing more nets us better recruits, all the better.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Spit my beer!
I'
Question: We will be moving from an offense rating of 17th to that of Temple’s, 56th. Is this an improvement because we’re passing more?
Great question being drunk I can't answer it but I can add a few other questions;

can we spell creativity however we want
if something goes without saying why does my wife still say it
why do they make scented toilet paper

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree we will likely take a step back on yards and points. But there are 2 other phases of the game that could more than make up for it. Gimme wins over offense rankings

Totally agree - we will play better ball overall. But passing more isn’t going to do anything for the defense.

wgardiner3

Jolly Good Fellow
No. We aren’t. But shouldn’t the reason to change be to improve the offense?

I’ll wager a$100 today that we don’t finish in the top 20 offenses next year. Even if we do pass more.

Ideally, we would make changes for improvement only. CPJ retired and we replaced him with CGC who felt it would be better to change offensive styles. I don't doubt that the offense will be worse statistically, not just next year but most likely in future years as well. I do believe that the defense will improve from previous years and hope that the offense trends trends up throughout the transition to help make the overall team better.

I think we are on the same page that hopefully the decreased offensive production will be offset by the improved defensive/ST production and we will improve as a team.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No, the reason to change is to improve the entire team, not just the offense. Some of you would rather win rushing titles than championships.

You seem like a smart guy. How does passing more and producing less offense improve the entire team?

I’m all for passing more to create more options. We haven’t done well there for some time.

But the answer is always ... we will improve as a team by decreasing offensive production and better defense.

How about same offense performance and better defense? That’s the Six Sigma in me.

I’m just interested in why so many on the board seem to want less offense. So far, no coherent answer.

Animal02

Banned
You seem like a smart guy. How does passing more and producing less offense improve the entire team?

I’m all for passing more to create more options. We haven’t done well there for some time.

But the answer is always ... we will improve as a team by decreasing offensive production and better defense.

How about same offense performance and better defense? That’s the Six Sigma in me.

I’m just interested in why so many on the board seem to want less offense. So far, no coherent answer.
They have that narrative to maintain. :rolleyes:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have to move past focusing on one part of the program. A football program has more than one piece.

First off, while our OFEI was great, what would it have been if you take away the BG and L'ville games (2 of the 8 worst ranked teams in F+ rankings in all of college football).
Despite having a Top 20 FEI, our overall F+ ranking was #76 - which was actually the worst of the Johnson's tenure (2017 - #67, 2016 #43, 2015 #61, previous worst 2010 - 74).
Statistically this team actually overperformed relative to its schedule and stats. It won 2 games against teams with a higher F+ (Miami and UVA) and only 1 loss to a team with a lower F+ (USF).

I enjoyed Johnson's time here - we were fortunate to have him for so long and get the highs he gave us (the avg tenure for college coaches is 3.8 yrs and before last season there were only 9 coaches who were at their current school at least 11 years - and only 2 over 13) - if you get a good decade from a coach like we did from Coach Johnson you are doing way better than you should expect.

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-football-players-coaches-recruiting-2017-12

But he decided to retire and frankly at times the last 2 years he has looked tired and just not as in to it as he used to - which is a big part of the reason I think he decided to stop.

I'd like to be good in all 3 phases of the game. With Gailey the offense was often painful but the defense was usually very good. With Johnson it was almost the opposite (it helped that Johnson was a better coordinator than anybody Gailey ever had on either side of the ball). But ultimately if you want to get better you have to become good in all phases.

Animal02

Banned
We have to move past focusing on one part of the program. A football program has more than one piece.

First off, while our OFEI was great, what would it have been if you take away the BG and L'ville games (2 of the 8 worst ranked teams in F+ rankings in all of college football).
Despite having a Top 20 FEI, our overall F+ ranking was #76 - which was actually the worst of the Johnson's tenure (2017 - #67, 2016 #43, 2015 #61, previous worst 2010 - 74).
Statistically this team actually overperformed relative to its schedule and stats. It won 2 games against teams with a higher F+ (Miami and UVA) and only 1 loss to a team with a lower F+ (USF).

I enjoyed Johnson's time here - we were fortunate to have him for so long and get the highs he gave us (the avg tenure for college coaches is 3.8 yrs and before last season there were only 9 coaches who were at their current school at least 11 years - and only 2 over 13) - if you get a good decade from a coach like we did from Coach Johnson you are doing way better than you should expect.

https://www.businessinsider.com/college-football-players-coaches-recruiting-2017-12

But he decided to retire and frankly at times the last 2 years he has looked tired and just not as in to it as he used to - which is a big part of the reason I think he decided to stop.

I'd like to be good in all 3 phases of the game. With Gailey the offense was often painful but the defense was usually very good. With Johnson it was almost the opposite (it helped that Johnson was a better coordinator than anybody Gailey ever had on either side of the ball). But ultimately if you want to get better you have to become good in all phases.
When you don't get the support needed to compete....why bother to continue....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
P5 Duke SHOULD stomp a team like Temple. I could care less how that game went. I want to see the entire body of work against their conference, not how they did against a team that should beat them. Just like I wouldn't base Johnson's work on how we did against Clemson who has won 57 of their last 61 games. I want to see the entire body of work.
They are on YouTube. Take a look. You will see his "fast-paced" and "exciting pro style offense" is, well, slant, curl, hook, start over. And very seriously, if Collins considered Temple's offense "fast paced" he is in for a rude awakening come next Aug. 29 when Clemson starts out to prove they deserve to go back to the NC series. Somehow I do not see Venables holding three days of practice in the spring specifically for the GT offense and another two days in the fall. I give a new guy some Kentucky windage in his proclamations of the coming greatness but I don't see anything from those two coordinators that matched them against the likes of the ACC, even if there is another down year. Seems he picked familiar faces, not bad in itself but worrisome if he is expected to recruit staff talent.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmm ... this just in.

Don’t be surprised Brent Key doesn’t land at Tech after the season is over ... as assistant HC.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Key, doesn’t come in at all.

It helps to have a well balanced offense. When falling behind and trying to throw, we typically got further behind. Like several of our third and longs. Especially blowout games, we made them worse by trying to pass. Pass blocking, not a strength.