Official GT announcement, OC and DC

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
No, I watched every play the past 11 years. What's obvious is that the scheme was no longer giving us the advantage that it did early in CPJ's time here. When Duke, Pitt, and UVA (all of whom are on equal footing with us) are stuffing it, it's probably time to mix things up a bit, rather than continuing to run QB keepers, which is about all we've done the past 2 years.

Also, while I do agree that Graham could handle the types of plays you're wanting to see, I'm not sure I want to see ACL-recovery'd LJ running the ball too much.

LJ's injury is NOT an ACL. And he has good speed, long stride that just eats up ground, if he was not a good runner he would not have been recruited to Tech. Add his arm and you have a true dual threat QB

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
LJ's injury is NOT an ACL. And he has good speed, long stride that just eats up ground, if he was not a good runner he would not have been recruited to Tech. Add his arm and you have a true dual threat QB

Well, there's a chance we'll get the opportunity to see LJ as the starter so I hope you're right! I'd love to see him run out there and kick some ***!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Wait, so having Temple's OC equates to having Temple's offensive production too? You can see into the future and know we're going to be 56th? o_O

I’ll make it simple for you. Many posters here want a pro style passing offense. The question is ... will the results be better by passing?

It’s a high bar if we are already 17th. Do we expect to pass more and improve on that? Or progressively worse.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
It wasn’t only the QB that kept us from passing more. The scheme made pass blocking very difficult. In the end, who cares. CPJ is gone and so is that scheme.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll make it simple for you. Many posters here want a pro style passing offense. The question is ... will the results be better by passing?

It’s a high bar if we are already 17th. Do we expect to pass more and improve on that? Or progressively worse.

One thing 2017 and 2018 prove though is that Offensive Rank doesn't translate to wins. We sure as heck didn't look like a 17th-ranked offense vs Duke, Pitt, UVA, Miami, Clemson, Minny nor mutts! I wonder how much those #s were inflated by enjoyable blowouts of VPI, Louisville and BG?

I mean, vs those teams, the QB Keeper literally never worked. Against the others, TO and TM had their way with that play. It wasn't terribly creative nor original but it did work against the very-bad teams on the schedule.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If Collins does real well, he won't be around long either.....He will find his next dream job at twice the salary and half the hassle. If he lays an egg, he won't be around long either.
One of the reasons I don't think the hire was so great.
What? 12 jobs in 24 years and his family living out of shoeboxes makes you suspicious? Somewhere in that 24 years I would like to have seen a bust-out, knock 'em dead performance that would turn a chancy hire into a daring decision with a big payout at the end. Collins just seems so, well, average. His coordinators are, well, average at best, but won't outshine their boss, and he seems to think merely the deployment of a tight end reflects an aggressive offense, except the couple he is trying to bring are well, average. The good news is that apparently another good QB was recruited and as shown all over the country, a freshman can run this offense. Clemson and Alabama are in the finals, after all, with a sophomore and a freshman. That seems an advantage to me. I guess I would be more optimistic or enthusiastic if he would tacitly acknowledge his is an off-the-shelf offense -- Radio Shack for submarine software -- but its attraction is that it is not the spread option. Except as you will note with all these offenses, lots of options are run. They just don't call them that, following the Urban Meyer model that running the options he ran might hurt his recruiting, so he never admitted running what he ran. Which amused Johnson greatly.

To sum up, what we have seen so far is, well, average.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing 2017 and 2018 prove though is that Offensive Rank doesn't translate to wins. We sure as heck didn't look like a 17th-ranked offense vs Duke, Pitt, UVA, Miami, Clemson, Minny nor mutts! I wonder how much those #s were inflated by enjoyable blowouts of VPI, Louisville and BG?

I mean, vs those teams, the QB Keeper literally never worked. Against the others, TO and TM had their way with that play. It wasn't terribly creative nor original but it did work against the very-bad teams on the schedule.

TQ ran for 100+ on UVA and nearly that on Miami.

Whatever doesn't matter, CPJ and his offense is gone. I think GT needs to have a mobile QB that is used like a mobile QB, i.e. a part of the run game.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Exactly.......lots of people whined that CPJ was a poor recruiter. Tech had tied both hands behind his back and threw on a 50lb anvil to carry. It is no wonder he was frustrated. A HC can only do so much recruiting.....considering all the other obligations that come with the job. It is really the support staff that should be doing all the research, etc.
I’m not sure but I would imagine some big boosters probably thought that donating more money would just be a waste because of how the scheme limited recruiting.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

You are putting entirely too much emphasis on one stat.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if it will happen next year, but I will be willing to bet by year three we are about 50/50 run/pass (I would say at best 55% run). That's what Patenaude did at CC, that's what he did at Temple. That's fine, his offenses are decent. Not the worst, not the best.

50/50 sounds freaking great to me, when the roster and talent are there to implement it