Official GT announcement, OC and DC

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
One thing 2017 and 2018 prove though is that Offensive Rank doesn't translate to wins. We sure as heck didn't look like a 17th-ranked offense vs Duke, Pitt, UVA, Miami, Clemson, Minny nor mutts! I wonder how much those #s were inflated by enjoyable blowouts of VPI, Louisville and BG?

I mean, vs those teams, the QB Keeper literally never worked. Against the others, TO and TM had their way with that play. It wasn't terribly creative nor original but it did work against the very-bad teams on the schedule.
In the 14 season averaged 475 yds offense thru orange bowl.
W beat the weaker teams but had heck of a time (vt and FGSU in last second) and lost to less than good Duke
Total offense
Tulane 359,GSU 536,Vt 375, Miami 371,Duke 483. At unc we got way behind and had to pass 611. Then Coach and Sewak put in Erin Joe at rt plus played shamire in 3rd and 4th quarter at left guard. We won out against Pitt 612 , uva 409, ncst 549, clem 350, uga 463,fsu 465,MSU 577 = last 7 against quality to great teams filled w NFL talent we put up over 3420 yds=487 yds. They couldn't stop the senior skill guys behind the massive ol. Great coaching adjustments and execution.

In 17 we tried shifting to big ol ( Shamire)
to let Tqm pass. Then coach doubled down the whole season thinking tqm would become a dual threat . He knew we have to be able to pass against the Clemson/ uga of the world.

In 18 we had mature skill position and Tqm worked hard in offseason . We had a strong agile ol.
In 18 I really think Coach planned to give LJ quality time if tqm miss fired at passing.

With LJ out and the senior qb moving on I believe coach was out of adjustments that would work to pull out of hat.

And then he just got too tired

Animal02

Banned
In the 14 season averaged 475 yds offense thru orange bowl.
W beat the weaker teams but had heck of a time (vt and FGSU in last second) and lost to less than good Duke
Total offense
Tulane 359,GSU 536,Vt 375, Miami 371,Duke 483. At unc we got way behind and had to pass 611. Then Coach and Sewak put in Erin Joe at rt plus played shamire in 3rd and 4th quarter at left guard. We won out against Pitt 612 , uva 409, ncst 549, clem 350, uga 463,fsu 465,MSU 577 = last 7 against quality to great teams filled w NFL talent we put up over 3420 yds=487 yds. They couldn't stop the senior skill guys behind the massive ol. Great coaching adjustments and execution.

In 17 we tried shifting to big ol ( Shamire)
to let Tqm pass. Then coach doubled down the whole season thinking tqm would become a dual threat . He knew we have to be able to pass against the Clemson/ uga of the world.

In 18 we had mature skill position and Tqm worked hard in offseason . We had a strong agile ol.
In 18 I really think Coach planned to give LJ quality time if tqm miss fired at passing.

With LJ out and the senior qb moving on I believe coach was out of adjustments that would work to pull out of hat.

And then he just got too tired
Great common sense post. Only thing I will add is in 2014, we got jobbed jo the refs against Duke IIRC

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Anyone watch that video that Ibeeballin posted?

I watched the first 3 series of it. I then ran out of time but I'm going to watch the rest of it tonight and/or tomorrow. Oh and I liked what I saw of the offense for Coastal.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Alabama has 29 assistants not on the direct coaching staff. Clemson’s not much different. If we want to climb from 50th in the rankings to Top 25, well we’ve got a lot of work to do to close that gap. Top schools have been adding layers & layers of support staff in the last decade. GT did nothing & watched them all build dynasties. We all want to complain about it now, but if the new OC & DC are not armed with the same level of resources we’re going to keep staring at the lead dog’s butts wondering why this new shiny change that’s got some all excited didn’t pan out the way we all want.

If you went to the Clemson game this year, it was comical when Clemson came out after halftime. There were almost as many assistants wearing an orange polo as there were players.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
If you went to the Clemson game this year, it was comical when Clemson came out after halftime. There were almost as many assistants wearing an orange polo as there were players.
And this is one of the issues I have with college football right now. There are no limits to how much money a program can spend or how many assistants they can have. Alabama and Clemson easily double what "normal" schools have in spending or assistants .

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jmonty71

Banned
I don't really see anything to get overly excited about (in either direction) for these hires.

I think changing the DC is a D*** move, to towards the current DC... Nate Woody didn't even have time to get his first kid into place. All I can say is, this new DC better be lights out. We just tossed a really good one out.

Animal02

Banned
IIRC....there is a limit to the number of sidelines passes each team gets. They may use them for trainers etc instead of guests. I am sure off the field, their staff is immense compared to Tech.

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
When we hired Geoff, we signed up for Geoff Collins' defense.

He already has his guys in place to teach, coach, make the calls, adjustments, personnel groupings... that Geoff is comfortable with.

And it works.

So I'm okay with Thacker because he's Geoff's lieutenant. Geoff is really the de facto DC.

OC is another story and we're going to have to trust Coach on this hire.

Animal02

Banned
When we hired Geoff, we signed up for Geoff Collins' defense.

He already has his guys in place to teach, coach, make the calls, adjustments, personnel groupings... that Geoff is comfortable with.

And it works.

So I'm okay with Thacker because he's Geoff's lieutenant. Geoff is really the de facto DC.

OC is another story and we're going to have to trust Coach on this hire.
I feel bad for Woody, but agree it is Collins choice to make. Hope they were upfront with NW when he was hired.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I like both of the hires. Continuity is important, especially when Collins' focus early on will likely be on establishing program structure, branding, and recruiting. Regarding Thacker, he seems like a great up and coming coach that had success running Collins' defense. Against Duke, in the first half there was a stretch where Temple had a Pick 6, followed by a 3 and out, followed by another 3 and out, followed by another interception. Though like with most P5 vs G5 matchups, superior P5 depth allows for fresher players in the late game where it got out of hand. In their conference though, Temple was really dominant.

As for the offense, Patenaude seems like a good, safe hire. You have to keep in mind that the only older veteran coach on CGC's current staff is his Offensive Coordinator. The fact that he didn't just offer the job to some young innovate mind gives you an idea of his thought process here. He needs a guy who has been around the game long enough to help him with transitioning the offense. Patenaude has been at five different schools as an OC and has dealt with transitioning his offense to the current personnel several times. I don't know if there was a better hire we could have made that we weren't going to get outbid on (e.g. Kenny Dillingham to Auburn). We also don't know the influence that Brent Key might have on the offense if he is indeed hired after the NCG.