Official GT announcement, OC and DC

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
People are way too obsessed with scheme. It is about perfecting whatever you choose to do and executing it at a high level, and having talented players. There is no magical scheme anymore if there ever was. .not even the 3O. It is hard for some Tech fans to let go of this obsession, because our identity has been tied to a very specific offensive philosophy for so long.

There was never a magical scheme. Just a guy that knew how to do what you referenced with his own scheme. Ditto Fridge. Ditto any great OC.

RPO isn’t my favorite personally but the teams that run it well make it look damn good.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if our new O will be simple or complex? I keep hearing the term "multiple" and start to think the latter. Well, the more complicated the scheme the harder and longer it will take to master. Add that to the fact that our SA's are real "S's" and you get the same ol' dilemma we were in with the spread option. Not enough time (and energy - being a GT student saps that pretty good, too) to perfect plays with the required speed and precision to the point we can overcome physical mismatches on the field.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if our new O will be simple or complex? I keep hearing the term "multiple" and start to think the latter. Well, the more complicated the scheme the harder and longer it will take to master. Add that to the fact that our SA's are real "S's" and you get the same ol' dilemma we were in with the spread option. Not enough time (and energy - being a GT student saps that pretty good, too) to perfect plays with the required speed and precision to the point we can overcome physical mismatches on the field.

I agree with you, DCS, but I think the offense needs to be as "complex" as our SA's can handle. For us, it will always be best to have something that is hard to predict and hard to simulate for our opponents.

But, I, like you, am not exactly sure what to expect. What I have read is that he will adapt the system to the talent he has, so we will see.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you, DCS, but I think the offense needs to be as "complex" as our SA's can handle. For us, it will always be best to have something that is hard to predict and hard to simulate for our opponents.

But, I, like you, am not exactly sure what to expect. What I have read is that he will adapt the system to the talent he has, so we will see.
And be "innovative". I personally don't care if we don't innovate a thing as long as we win games, keep our noses clean and graduate our players.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I can’t wait to hear the new regime say “simplify”. Nevermind, never mind....those words will never be uttered on the flats again....

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

A lot of "modern" offenses (a la Clemson) run a lot of formations, lots of different motions and shifts, but in reality their blocking isn't super complex. A lot of plays that look totally different bc of where players are lined up are blocked exactly the same.

The complexity of CPJ's offense was that we lined up the same way almost every play, and maybe even run the same "play" but the blocking could be completely different from one play to the next.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I can’t wait to hear the new regime say “simplify”. Nevermind, never mind....those words will never be uttered on the flats again....
Negative branding ??
I am saying
1. The defense is way aggressive w some good, but some easy TDs. People say stop playing so aggressive.

You are saying
2 The defense is bend but dont break w some good but errors due to complexity. People say simplify and play fast.

See u in Oct.

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
I always found it amusing that so many people described CPJs Spread Option as simple or high school. Reality is that while he didnt have a lot of eye candy (A back wheel motion was about it) compared to a Clemson or AU offense there were aspects of his offense that were very complicated. DCS already mentioned blocking, but it was also the type of blocking, the timing, the read on the mesh, and the pitch relation. All of these took a lot of reps to get right. When done well the offense looked great, but if out of synch then, like most offenses, it looked pretty bad.

There are things we can do with different formations and motion that add a lot of eye candy but dont take near the time or reps to perfect. Blocking will definitely be a change. From all I have read Zone Blocking is easier to learn, but also also requires the OL to be even or better talent wise with the DL (someone in the know please correct or confirm this as all I have is word of mouth).

I dont really care what scheme we run as long as it is adaptable to fit the players and it stretches the field both horizontally and vertically as CPJS spread option did.

Animal02

Banned
Director of Applied Sports Science, does anyone know what that entails?
Years and years ago......talked with Cremins assistant coach...even then, they were formulating vitamin packages custom to the individual based on age, body weight etc etc..(can only imagine what they do now).....apparently Cremins didn't get the message, because he would constantly offer "his" to everyone else.
I would guess that the Director of Applied Sports Science would oversee all sorts of that sort of "stuff"

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We really need to stay at one place I'm getting dizzy moving from one place to read who is coaching and who is not.

Back in my carousing days, I had a buddy that would over indulge himself wherever we went. This was back in the day before Uber and Lyft. One time he had quite a few adult beverages, and I asked if he was OK. He said he was, then I told him he needed to dial it down a bit or he wouldn't be able to leave without help. His response, "It's cool, I'm not drinking liquor anymore, I'm just drinking light beer now..."

Time for some light beer...ahem...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It's official now

I really like these hires. I just looked up Wiesehan and his Temple bio says that he was nominated for the Broyles award this year. Collins has put together an extremely talented and exciting staff. I'm looking forward to what these guys can do.

Edit: Just looked up Panagos as well and he was a semi-finalist for the Broyles award in 2017.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I really like these hires. I just looked up Wiesehan and his Temple bio says that he was nominated for the Broyles award this year. Collins has put together an extremely talented and exciting staff. I'm looking forward to what these guys can do.

He's putting a premium on coaches that are good recruiters AND good coaches. 2020 recruiting class is gonna be fun to watch play out.