Official GT announcement, OC and DC

Animal02

Banned
Not saying the staff cannot make improvements without resources, I just don’t think many on here understand how far and how fast we’re falling behind the pack in the arms race. Not just with the elite teams, but what some believe to be teams we should beat easily every year. I think GT has 6 assistants outside of the 14 everyone officially designates. Pitt for example has 23. Bigger isn’t always better but we should be at least able to see the competition.

If you’ve ever run a organization with a lean management structure and under-resourced in critical operational areas & you’re trying to keep up with the competition you know what I’m talking about.
Exactly.......lots of people whined that CPJ was a poor recruiter. Tech had tied both hands behind his back and threw on a 50lb anvil to carry. It is no wonder he was frustrated. A HC can only do so much recruiting.....considering all the other obligations that come with the job. It is really the support staff that should be doing all the research, etc.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Hahahahaha

Actually, we will look just like about 98.7% of all other college football teams. There will be no improvement, we will be somewhere in the middle of the entire pack.

That will be an improvement over the past few years. I'll take middle of the pack Year 1 over getting blown out by Minny in the DetroitSucks bowl!!

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
If LJ or Graham turns out to be a good thrower, we'll be fine.
Neither one is going to be a standard drop back passer. They both need the right offense to be successful. I think as long as both are part of a passing game that is triggered off of play action and option looks they could probably be successful. If they are asked to sit back and make a progression of reads or asked to fit the ball into tight windows I don't think either will be successful.

Patenaude's past would seem to indicate they could be successful. However, I don't think we have a QB on the roster that we want throwing the ball more than about 35% of the time.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Neither one is going to be a standard drop back passer. They both need the right offense to be successful. I think as long as both are part of a passing game that is triggered off of play action and option looks they could probably be successful. If they are asked to sit back and make a progression of reads or asked to fit the ball into tight windows I don't think either will be successful.

Patenaude's past would seem to indicate they could be successful. However, I don't think we have a QB on the roster that we want throwing the ball more than about 35% of the time.

The throwing ability of our QBs is certainly an unknown. If Pat's offense is run with a lot of shotgun, Graham may be a good fit since that's about all he did in HS.

I do hope we throw it at least 35% of the time. We'd become extremely one-dimensional and predictable at the end of the last HC. If I never see a QB keeper again, I'll be happy!

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
The throwing ability of our QBs is certainly an unknown. If Pat's offense is run with a lot of shotgun, Graham may be a good fit since that's about all he did in HS.

I do hope we throw it at least 35% of the time. We'd become extremely one-dimensional and predictable at the end of the last HC. If I never see a QB keeper again, I'll be happy!

Patenaude's offense is typically pass 45% or more, which is a recipe for disaster with this roster, IMO. QB must be a part of the run game and needs to run for 600-700 yards in my opinion. Patenaude's offense is almost exclusively from the gun. If we ask LJ and Graham to hand off and throw from 4-5 wide sets without options I think it will fail and will be a waste of talent.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Patenaude's offense is typically pass 45% or more, which is a recipe for disaster with this roster, IMO. QB must be a part of the run game and needs to run for 600-700 yards in my opinion. Patenaude's offense is almost exclusively from the gun. If we ask LJ and Graham to hand off and throw from 4-5 wide sets without options I think it will fail and will be a waste of talent.

I think we need to get away from the QB being a big part of the run program. The last 2 years were difficult to watch and easy for the good teams on our schedule to defend, as our record indicates. I don't know LJ's speed (he's a big unknown, for as long as he's been here, strangely enough) but Graham might be a good RPO kind of guy. He's got plenty of that experience from his HS days.

Putting Graham under center and having him run 30 QB keepers/game and only throwing it 4-5 times would have been a criminal waste of that kid's talent.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we need to get away from the QB being a big part of the run program. The last 2 years were difficult to watch and easy for the good teams on our schedule to defend, as our record indicates. I don't know LJ's speed (he's a big unknown, for as long as he's been here, strangely enough) but Graham might be a good RPO kind of guy. He's got plenty of that experience from his HS days.

Putting Graham under center and having him run 30 QB keepers/game and only throwing it 4-5 times would have been a criminal waste of that kid's talent.

I can see you have a really short sighted view of PJ's offense based largely on TaQuon at QB. That's fine.

I still maintain that the QB needs to be part of the run game in the same way that Clemson was under Watson, the way that Mullen uses a QB, etc. Where we will screw up is if we try the NFL RPO where the "option" is really an option to hand off or the option to throw the ball. Both Graham and LJ are running QBs, 600 yards is only about 50 yards a game.

Animal02

Banned

Why would you assume he would only throw 4-5 times a game? JT in the 2014-2016 stretch average 12-15 per game. It all depended on the skill set of the QB.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I can see you have a really short sighted view of PJ's offense based largely on TaQuon at QB. That's fine.

I still maintain that the QB needs to be part of the run game in the same way that Clemson was under Watson, the way that Mullen uses a QB, etc. Where we will screw up is if we try the NFL RPO where the "option" is really an option to hand off or the option to throw the ball. Both Graham and LJ are running QBs, 600 yards is only about 50 yards a game.

No, I watched every play the past 11 years. What's obvious is that the scheme was no longer giving us the advantage that it did early in CPJ's time here. When Duke, Pitt, and UVA (all of whom are on equal footing with us) are stuffing it, it's probably time to mix things up a bit, rather than continuing to run QB keepers, which is about all we've done the past 2 years.

Also, while I do agree that Graham could handle the types of plays you're wanting to see, I'm not sure I want to see ACL-recovery'd LJ running the ball too much.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
You ignore the point that the passing was based on the ability of the QB......if Grahm could pass it like you claim, in all probability, there would have been more passing.

JT was a good passer but we seldom threw it more than 10X a game with him as QB.

Animal02

Banned
No, I watched every play the past 11 years. What's obvious is that the scheme was no longer giving us the advantage that it did early in CPJ's time here. When Duke, Pitt, and UVA (all of whom are on equal footing with us) are stuffing it, it's probably time to mix things up a bit, rather than continuing to run QB keepers, which is about all we've done the past 2 years.

Also, while I do agree that Graham could handle the types of plays you're wanting to see, I'm not sure I want to see ACL-recovery'd LJ running the ball too much.
So you ignore the previous 3 history to fit your narrative. Fine.....Wrong as it may be. You ride the horses you have....not the ones you wish you had. :rolleyes: