Offensive Game Plan

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My concerns when I started this thread were far less about the effectiveness of the offense, but more about the mentality of doing something different, interesting, and unpredictable. And no, I don't mean the swinging gate.

I fully understand we may not have the players to execute an unpredictable innovative offense (yet). I fully understand we may lose games we might win if we played conservatively and predictably (this year). I was thinking about 2-3 years out and trying to prove on the field that what we are telling potential recruits about our offense would be visible for all to see.

I get that some will disagree and feel that optimizing for the short run, in a particular game or season, would be best. But I am arguing for optimizing in the long run.

It's about attitude and reinforcing the branding that Collins is trying to establish.

Just my opinion, as always.
According to Temple fans, Coach P is neither unpredictable nor innovative.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me the most is that everyone seems to think we played conservative due to not feeling we could be competitive. Why in the hell is that acceptable? So fans can get mad at the last coach for saying fans expect too much, but embrace CGC and company for playing scared?! I truly hope this isn't the case or we are SCREWED! I choose to believe it was Oliver making bad calls at the line scared of what he saw....
Who is this “everyone” you are referring to? Also, I don’t think CGC had a press conference and stated ( or even indicated that he thought) “Yep, we are scared and we are going to play that way.”, so you are basing your statement on.......?

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Who is this “everyone” you are referring to? Also, I don’t think CGC had a press conference and stated ( or even indicated that he thought) “Yep, we are scared and we are going to play that way.”, so you are basing your statement on.......?
This board. Read before you reply. I am not saying CGC or PNode is playing scared. I am saying that is a constant consensus here. If that's the case, those who believe it shouldn't be praising or accepting it. That would be a bad thing, not good by any means.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
According to Temple fans, Coach P is neither unpredictable nor innovative.

I take their opinions with a grain of salt because they seem pretty salty. I mean, we are talking about Philly sports fans here. Not the most level headed bunch.

What I have seen of Patenaude's career indicates he is capable and competent, which is where we need to start.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
This board. Read before you reply. I am not saying CGC or PNode is playing scared. I am saying that is a constant consensus here. If that's the case, those who believe it shouldn't be praising or accepting it. That would be a bad thing, not good by any means.
I have read this board, have you? How many have said they were playing scared? There’s a big difference between some people and a “consensus” (or a “constant consensus”, whatever that is) and a big difference between a consensus and “everyone”.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There is a difference between playing scared and just playing smart. Throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks when you are clearly outgunned isn't necessarily innovative or gutsy. Innovation will come, but don't we want to find some things our QBs can reliably do first?

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
There is a difference between playing scared and just playing smart. Throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks when you are clearly outgunned isn't necessarily innovative or gutsy. Innovation will come, but don't we want to find some things our QBs can reliably do first?
I agree, just didn't really see anyone given the chance. I saw Oliver keeper, over and over.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I have read this board, have you? How many have said they were playing scared? There’s a big difference between some people and a “consensus” (or a “constant consensus”, whatever that is) and a big difference between a consensus and “everyone”.
Nobody said playing scared. Lots saying we played what we thought would work. If QB keep is what we thought would work, we should question that. Others saying we played conservative due to what we thought we could do to/against Clemson, without using the word, that is saying we played scared. Not taking a chance, a single one, because we don't think it'll work.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me the most is that everyone seems to think we played conservative due to not feeling we could be competitive. Why in the hell is that acceptable? So fans can get mad at the last coach for saying fans expect too much, but embrace CGC and company for playing scared?

It's acceptable because it's the truth. And the difference is Johnson was making a statement about the general state of the program. This was game one of a huge transition against the best team in the country. The situations aren't nearly the same.

slugboy

Staff member
Here’s the goal line play for us. You can slow down or stop it in the playback to see the development of the play

Oliver rolls right. There are two receivers open in the back of the end zone. There is not a QB running lane into the end zone unless he makes an insane juke past a defender.
He seems to make a right read (there are two decent reads here). He throws a flat pass instead of touch pass and the defender deflects it into the air. If he puts a little air under it, he can get it past the defender into the corner, hopefully before a defender makes it there. He tried to zing it in, instead.
Was the play a bad call? I don’t think that call was a bad play call. Two open receivers and time to throw
Was it a good throw? You could call the deflection bad luck, but a number of college quarterbacks would have made that completion. Some would have thrown sooner.
Did he have decent pass protection? In this play, it looks like he had enough time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Something to consider when speculating about Patenaude, TO, gameplan, etc. Value these postgame comments from Jordan Mason as you wish.

0:00
Q:
James [Graham] said he thought you (GT) could run the ball on Clemson. Is that what you saw out there?
A: I definitely saw that. We just got to put our pieces together and get our throwing game up to what we've been doing in practice. I ran alright, but that's all behind me.

1:31
Q:
It takes time sometimes for an offense to click. Obviously you guys changed an entire system around. In playing a team that's this good defensively out of the gate I imagine that magnified any issues you had. Is that something you saw tonight?
A: Only thing I really saw was, TO, that's my boy, but we got to get more, he's got to get more comfortable with passing. He'll get better with passing game. You see he already got the run game. Once he gets the passing game down, we'll be alright.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Something to consider when speculating about Patenaude, TO, gameplan, etc. Value these postgame comments from Jordan Mason as you wish.

0:00
Q:
James [Graham] said he thought you (GT) could run the ball on Clemson. Is that what you saw out there?
A: I definitely saw that. We just got to put our pieces together and get our throwing game up to what we've been doing in practice. I ran alright, but that's all behind me.

1:31
Q:
It takes time sometimes for an offense to click. Obviously you guys changed an entire system around. In playing a team that's this good defensively out of the gate I imagine that magnified any issues you had. Is that something you saw tonight?
A: Only thing I really saw was, TO, that's my boy, but we got to get more, he's got to get more comfortable with passing. He'll get better with passing game. You see he already got the run game. Once he gets the passing game down, we'll be alright.

This was my concern all along. And for the record, I love TO as an athlete, he just may not be the guy for the QB in this offense.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me the most is that everyone seems to think we played conservative due to not feeling we could be competitive. Why in the hell is that acceptable? So fans can get mad at the last coach for saying fans expect too much, but embrace CGC and company for playing scared?! I truly hope this isn't the case or we are SCREWED! I choose to believe it was Oliver making bad calls at the line scared of what he saw....

I think that either people are mis-stating what they mean or you are misunderstanding what they are saying. I think the coaches felt that given our level of current proficiency and the skill sets of our opponents that the best possibility for us to be at all competitive was to do what our most experienced players could do well. I think it was pretty obvious that they felt our best chance to start the first game of the season under our new staff against the best team in the country was to put our most experienced and most likely to be poised QB out there and do what he does best rather than trying to do things with him that aren’t in his wheel house, especially against a team that could make us pay dearly for those types of mistakes.

I happen to think that with Tobias’s skill set and his athleticism and skill running the ball it was best to try and maximize that. Then when Lucas came in he, unfortunately, looked very uncomfortable (not a criticism, it was his first game in years and it was against the best team in the country and it was 1min left in the half with us down big already) and under those circumstances it seemed obvious to me that the coaches felt he wouldn’t be effective for the rest of the game.

As for James Graham I love that he seems fearless and is explosive. He makes a lot of freshman mistakes because, surprise, he’s a freshman. But when he was in the game the coaches opened it up to take advantage of his skills. But again, seems obvious they felt his youth wouldn’t produce the best potential for success in the game over an extended period of time.

So it’s not “I don’t think we can be competitive so let’s be conservative.” It’s “I think our best chance to be competitive is to be conservative and do what our most experienced players do better.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech offense in this game

18 passes

48 runs

Say what you will about the game plan but this is what we did out of the spread. I will admit I thought we would be heavy in one but this really surprised me. I like TO but there was some reason he practiced with the defense a few times. I doubt it was because Lucas and Graham had a hard time throwing the ball.

The bottom line is that the plan was to run the ball and that’s what we did. We have yet to see the effect of the spread offense, I hope we do for the next 5 weeks, I’d rather go down trying the new offense than go down running a RPO keeper against 8 or 9 in the box

Last edited: