Offensive Game Plan

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I hear ya. I wanted to see us sling it, too. But it is clear we are not remotely capable of doing that against a team of that caliber. Could have lost 70-0 real easy trying to do that. Lets see what we do against teans on our level.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just a guess here but i’m guessing that our offensive game olan was based on terrible OL/QB play in practice, the coaches knew the best chance to keep the score down was running

Animal02

Banned
[
We are what the pundits thought we’d be on offense - unfortunately. The transition from the Flexbone really will take time and some different personnel. That means lots of work ahead on recruiting and patience from the fan base. My guess is recruiting will be easier than patience...
The fact is Five years is a lifetime in college football. It is absurd to expect fans ( and players) to waste seasons waiting for a coach to realize "his " vision

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
We are what the pundits thought we’d be on offense - unfortunately. The transition from the Flexbone really will take time and some different personnel. That means lots of work ahead on recruiting and patience from the fan base. My guess is recruiting will be easier than patience...
Yeah,it's probably going to take a lot of time to get the new offense going(y)

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone please draw up an offensive game plan that will work against last years #1 defense using:

1) An offensive line that cannot pass protect but is decent at run blocking
2) A quarterback:
  • with game experience but with happy feet that shotputs the ball, who will not pitch on option plays, but can run the ball fairly well
  • -OR- with no game experience and with happy feet that throws into triple coverage, does not move that well, and looked scared to death
  • -OR- with no game experience and seemingly good potential running and throwing who you probably don't want to throw to the wolves
3) Wide receivers who cannot get open
4) A solid running back who was literally carrying defenders
5) An offensive roster that is outmanned at every position

?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone please draw up an offensive game plan that will work against last years #1 defense using:

1) An offensive line that cannot pass protect but is decent at run blocking
2) A quarterback:
  • with game experience but with happy feet that shotputs the ball, who will not pitch on option plays, but can run the ball fairly well
  • -OR- with no game experience and with happy feet that throws into triple coverage, does not move that well, and looked scared to death
  • -OR- with no game experience and seemingly good potential running and throwing who you probably don't want to throw to the wolves
3) Wide receivers who cannot get open
4) A solid running back who was literally carrying defenders
5) An offensive roster that is outmanned at every position

?

I get going run heavy with Oliver to start. But when that did not work, leaving him in with the same 3 plays wasn't going to do much good. If that's all we have, we are screwed for the rest of the season.

For one...I was hoping for some involment with our new TE.

Forget QB etc. What we are needing is OL and DL. DL will always be tough due to academics but OL usually are smarter. In the 2019 class we recruited no O lineman, In 202 so far we have 5. We are going to need to see this before we can even dream of incorporating more passing. And that being said we don't see another D like last night until the last game in November,

Milwaukee

Banned
I’m pleased overall, but the offensive gameplan was head scratching. OP is partly correct even though I was snarky with the post.

For those saying we’re running the offense based on what the roster is built for then by all means why not just line up in the damn flexbone and run triple all night? I mean, that’s what we’re suited for.

I wanted to see more of a pro style offense not a shotgun spread option attack. Has our staff actually watched an NFL game? Because pro teams get under center with 2 tightends and a rb a lot of the times. This spread shotgun thing is not a pro style offense, not even close. You can accurately say it’s not the flexbone but you can’t accurately call it pro style.

I sound like I’m whining but overall I’m very pleased with the staff.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Another bit of food for thought here are some under 20 pts offensive-only outputs from years past:

08: 7 times - 17 vs BC, 17 vs VT, 10 vs G-W, 17 vs UVA, 14 vs Clemson, 7 vs UNC, 3 vs LSU
09: 2 times - 17 vs Miami, 7 vs Iowa
10: 3 times - 13 vs Clemson, 10 vs Miami, 7 vs Air Force
11: 3 times - 7 vs Miami, 17 vs Georgia, 14 vs UVA
12: 4 times - 17 vs VT, 10 vs UGA, 15 vs FSU, 3 vs BYU
13: 2 times - 10 vs VT, 17 vs Ole Miss
14: 0 times - Unstoppable
15: 4 times - 17 Clemson, 16 vs FSU, 14 vs VT, 7 vs UGA
16: 2 times - 17 vs BC, 7 vs Clemson
17: 3 times - 17 vs Miami, 10 vs Clemson, 7 vs UGA
18: 4 times - 19 vs Pitt, 14 vs Duke, 14 vs UGA, 10 vs Minn

Unfortunately unlike 08 we weren't left with a defense to carry us.

Scubapro

Banned
The part of the UCLA-Cincinnati game I watched had much more entertaining offensive plays...tons of misdirection, passing...short, medium, and occasionally long...never knew what was coming next. For the 1st half, I called every play right.....run, run, incomplete pass or QB scramble, punt. Zero imagination.
People were expecting Patenaude (SP?) to be like Ralph Friegen...instead we got Pat Nix part II.
Shotgun inside the 10?
Its gonna be a long and painful 4 years.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I wanted to see more of a pro style offense not a shotgun spread option attack. Has our staff actually watched an NFL game? Because pro teams get under center with 2 tightends and a rb a lot of the times. This spread shotgun thing is not a pro style offense, not even close. You can accurately say it’s not the flexbone but you can’t accurately call it pro style.

I sound like I’m whining but overall I’m very pleased with the staff.

I agree with you on both, Hansel. :ROFLMAO:

Even the ACCN guys after the game commented about how "This isn't a pro-style offense, this is the same college spread everyone else is running." I thought it a bit funny that everyone was excited about the Pro-style offense we were going to run, but the tape on Coach P from every previous stop shows he didn't run anything even remotely close to an NFL-style offense (West Coast, Air Coryell, etc.)

Still, it wasn't a great performance against the defending champs, which is why I want to reserve judgement for a few more games.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Offensive Game Plan : Did we have one ?

I'm not sure I myself believe this, but it was almost like we knew we couldn't win so why show the rest of the teams on our schedule our playbook ??
I was disappointed in the play calling on third down, did we even throw to the TE ??, and on the series at the goal line after the Swilling int. ??

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
People were expecting Patenaude (SP?) to be like Ralph Friegen...instead we got Pat Nix part II.
Shotgun inside the 10?
Its gonna be a long and painful 4 years.

I don't have a problem with shotgun inside the 10. Let's not go crazy after just 1 game. Go watch tape on Oklahoma or Wazzu ... they're in shotgun from the 3-yard line as well.

Funny how we derided a coach because he always harped on "missed assignments" ... but if you watch that sequence from the 3 that's exactly what happened.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Funny how we derided a coach because he always harped on "missed assignments" ... but if you watch that sequence from the 3 that's exactly what happened.

Gotta disagree...when the other guy has 9 in the box and KNOWS you're not doing anything tricky (you know, like the forward pass (OMG!))....it makes executing your assignment MUCH harder. It's kinda like telling the batter exactly what pitch is coming every time.....sometimes they'll miss it, but it really increases the chances of getting beat.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I seem to recall TO brutally missing a couple of easy passes in the first couple of drives, i reckon the coaches went into survival mode at that point and just went with the shotgun version of Taquon’s past two seasons