Offensive Game Plan

Milwaukee

Banned
Why would you believe it? Just go watch the tape - he's been a coordinator for a lot of years, it's all he has ever run.

In general I am ok with it. I actually do NOT want what a traditional NFL offense is. What I prefer is someone who is different or innovative in some way. That doesn't always mean the system - sometimes you can just tell when someone is a great oc regardless of the system. Don't think Pnode is. Hopefully he can be decent.

Ok buddy. Thanks.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Temple fan who watched last 3 quarters. I saw good news and bad news.

The good:
Looks like Collins got his whole game wardrobe in the men’s section.
Collins started out bad in Year 1 and really bad in Year 2 and turned around both seasons. Waaaay too early to worry about losing to the current #1 ( who won’t stay there, btw)

The bad:
I saw and read the same frustrations we experienced w this offense. Pataneude loves to run short yardage out of the pistol. Get used to it it frustrated our fans his whole tenure.

I mentioned Collins rotated quarterbacks to see what worked as opposed to a strategy. I think it’s a bad way to develop quarterbacks. I believe Coloneude have shortcomings recognizing the best QB.

Questionable time outs. Personally, I think a HC should use a time-out whenever he feels it necessary. Some fans believe it should only be used to stop the clock. Collins uses them at vet different places during a game.

Overall, I didn’t think Tech looked good. Few good individual performances but neither unit was competitive in Death Valley. I have commented this is the first time I’ve seen Collins coach without Matt Rhule’s players. I don’t know how good Johnson’s were....
Why do we keep having these fans from other teams that keep telling us how to feel? It was the first freaking game but we now know who our qb is. That's all that should be taken from the game

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I swore that I was going to stop posting on this board because of the rampant stupidity from a lot of posters. It's just better to fast forward through to the ones who make sense and not comment on the ones who don't.

BUT for all the naysayers about Collins and our offense:

We averaged 4.5 yards per play last night. That is EXACTLY the same as the average for the last 3 games of last year--and we weren't playing the number 1 ranked team in those games. Source: teamrankings,com

But for all you irrational and emotional types, the facts will make no difference to you, as you have exhibited many times over the past years.

Animal02

Banned
I swore that I was going to stop posting on this board because of the rampant stupidity from a lot of posters. It's just better to fast forward through to the ones who make sense and not comment on the ones who don't.

BUT for all the naysayers about Collins and our offense:

We averaged 4.5 yards per play last night. That is EXACTLY the same as the average for the last 3 games of last year--and we weren't playing the number 1 ranked team in those games. Source: teamrankings,com

But for all you irrational and emotional types, the facts will make no difference to you, as you have exhibited many times over the past years.
Nothing like cherry picking stats to prop up your strawman.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Did you actually believe the pro-style marketing? Patenaude has always run the generic college spread wherever he's been. That's all he runs. The only thing different is that you may see his offense look more similar to Clemson's when Gleason gets here. You will not see any under center sets other than the occasional play like the one last night.

For the record, I don't judge patenaude based only on last night. I just think he is unimaginative and basically the exact same o coord you could get at 50 other schools. I think Thacker may be legit.

Also don't mind the generic spread too much if the coordinator has a good feel for the game. I don't think Pnode does. I think he's smart and knows offense, just don't think he's talented at it.

Shhhhhh. If you call a spread a pro style often enough everyone will begin to believe it eventually. It’s called “branding.” :D

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Why do we keep having these fans from other teams that keep telling us how to feel? It was the first freaking game but we now know who our qb is. That's all that should be taken from the game

Yup. Our starter is TO. I hope you don’t jump off the CGC train when he starts again in game 2.

MH55

Banned

What sentence(s) did I tell anyone how they should feel?

I’ve got nothing against Ga Tech just providing my experience and opinion of Collins. USF will beat you by double digits.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree, which is rare because I don't think I've ever disagreed with you..... ever. But our guys are well trained to punch it in at the goal line under center. All the blather from coach P has been "we're gonna not try to fit round pegs into square holes, we're gonna fit the O to the personnel and their skill set." WTF happened to that philosophy on 1st and goal??? Huge coaching f'up imo.

I'd agree the first down "swinging gate" play was not the best ... but it was an even 5 on 5 so you would hope that our guy (Oliver) could beat their guy.

But 2nd and goal is exactly what you're talking about - QB sneak. Which got zip. The 3rd and goal play which got nullified by the TimeOut also got zip. Zero push. Ignore for a second the window dressing on the 3rd and goal and imagine it was Oliver going in motion and a direct snap "Wildcat" package for Mason. Again, zero push. I'm not a fan of trickeration in goal line situations ... but we just didn't get any push whatsoever. Hindsight is 20/20 ... I would've tried the 4th down play on 2nd down ...

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I'd agree the first down "swinging gate" play was not the best ... but it was an even 5 on 5 so you would hope that our guy (Oliver) could beat their guy.

But 2nd and goal is exactly what you're talking about - QB sneak. Which got zip. The 3rd and goal play which got nullified by the TimeOut also got zip. Zero push. Ignore for a second the window dressing on the 3rd and goal and imagine it was Oliver going in motion and a direct snap "Wildcat" package for Mason. Again, zero push. I'm not a fan of trickeration in goal line situations ... but we just didn't get any push whatsoever. Hindsight is 20/20 ... I would've tried the 4th down play on 2nd down ...
The 4th down play seemed like a great play and a great time to call it. We had 2 guys wide open, completely (almost) guaranteed pitch and catch. And, we had a QB who recognized it and probably made a perfect easy throw, but one of their 5*'s threw a reflex hand up at just the right time and ... there you go, perhaps a 14-point swing. The only way that play doesn't work is exactly what happened. The guys are uncovered and Oliver tosses it to them. The guys are covered and Oliver walks in. Or, the guys are uncovered, Oliver tosses it to them, a guy gets a desperation hand up ... interception ... Venables is a genius and P'node is a goat (that word should not connote greatest anything).

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The 4th down play seemed like a great play and a great time to call it. We had 2 guys wide open, completely (almost) guaranteed pitch and catch. And, we had a QB who recognized it and probably made a perfect easy throw, but one of their 5*'s threw a reflex hand up at just the right time and ... there you go, perhaps a 14-point swing. The only way that play doesn't work is exactly what happened. The guys are uncovered and Oliver tosses it to them. The guys are covered and Oliver walks in. Or, the guys are uncovered, Oliver tosses it to them, a guy gets a desperation hand up ... interception ... Venables is a genius and P'node is a goat (that word should not connote greatest anything).

Brutal use of goat there my man.

Agree with the rest of the sentiment though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Can someone please draw up an offensive game plan that will work against last years #1 defense using:

1) An offensive line that cannot pass protect but is decent at run blocking
2) A quarterback:
  • with game experience but with happy feet that shotputs the ball, who will not pitch on option plays, but can run the ball fairly well
  • -OR- with no game experience and with happy feet that throws into triple coverage, does not move that well, and looked scared to death
  • -OR- with no game experience and seemingly good potential running and throwing who you probably don't want to throw to the wolves
3) Wide receivers who cannot get open
4) A solid running back who was literally carrying defenders
5) An offensive roster that is outmanned at every position

?
... I think that I can, except I will need to get a rules dispensation from the NCAA. My plan requires the use of 20 to 25 players on the offense at a time. [emoji6]

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My concerns when I started this thread were far less about the effectiveness of the offense, but more about the mentality of doing something different, interesting, and unpredictable. And no, I don't mean the swinging gate.

I fully understand we may not have the players to execute an unpredictable innovative offense (yet). I fully understand we may lose games we might win if we played conservatively and predictably (this year). I was thinking about 2-3 years out and trying to prove on the field that what we are telling potential recruits about our offense would be visible for all to see.

I get that some will disagree and feel that optimizing for the short run, in a particular game or season, would be best. But I am arguing for optimizing in the long run.

It's about attitude and reinforcing the branding that Collins is trying to establish.

Just my opinion, as always.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
My concerns when I started this thread were far less about the effectiveness of the offense, but more about the mentality of doing something different, interesting, and unpredictable. And no, I don't mean the swinging gate.

I fully understand we may not have the players to execute an unpredictable innovative offense (yet). I fully understand we may lose games we might win if we played conservatively and predictably (this year). I was thinking about 2-3 years out and trying to prove on the field that what we are telling potential recruits about our offense would be visible for all to see.

I get that some will disagree and feel that optimizing for the short run, in a particular game or season, would be best. But I am arguing for optimizing in the long run.

It's about attitude and reinforcing the branding that Collins is trying to establish.

Just my opinion, as always.

I basically agree with you, but it looks like this wasn't the game to get creative with. I hope we will see more the next few weeks.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
I basically agree with you, but it looks like this wasn't the game to get creative with. I hope we will see more the next few weeks.
What bothers me the most is that everyone seems to think we played conservative due to not feeling we could be competitive. Why in the hell is that acceptable? So fans can get mad at the last coach for saying fans expect too much, but embrace CGC and company for playing scared?! I truly hope this isn't the case or we are SCREWED! I choose to believe it was Oliver making bad calls at the line scared of what he saw....

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
What bothers me the most is that everyone seems to think we played conservative due to not feeling we could be competitive. Why in the hell is that acceptable? So fans can get mad at the last coach for saying fans expect too much, but embrace CGC and company for playing scared?! I truly hope this isn't the case or we are SCREWED! I choose to believe it was Oliver making bad calls at the line scared of what he saw....
There is a difference in trying to play to what you think may work against a particular opponent and playing scared. There is also a difference in making a bad play and playing scared.