Offensive Game Plan

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I myself believe this, but it was almost like we knew we couldn't win so why show the rest of the teams on our schedule our playbook ??
I was disappointed in the play calling on third down, did we even throw to the TE ??, and on the series at the goal line after the Swilling int. ??

I dont think it was because we knew we couldn't win. I think we didn't open the playbook because it was almost certain we wouldn't be able to execute those plays against clemson and thought there was no reason to give film on it for no advantage. I think the decision was made to run a limited offense that was geared towards what we are most comfortable running and saving the "newer" stuff for games where we are more likely to be able to execute them.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The last time we played a team like this we had the same number of offensive points, had about 100 less yards, had less yards per pass, and less yards per rush. That was with an offensive guru calling the plays against our greatest rival.

We don’t have the horses.

Maybe CGC can bring them. He won’t bring as many as possible without more support from the administration.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I seem to recall TO brutally missing a couple of easy passes in the first couple of drives, i reckon the coaches went into survival mode at that point and just went with the shotgun version of Taquon’s past two seasons

When a QB is running for his life this happens. He had a couple of nice passes too even with a lot of heat and being asked to roll out of the pocket and throw on the run to avoid the rush.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
[

The fact is Five years is a lifetime in college football. It is absurd to expect fans ( and players) to waste seasons waiting for a coach to realize "his " vision

If it’s gonna take 4 years I guess everyone should just tune out for 4 years and check back in for the natty run in year 5.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't have a problem with shotgun inside the 10. Let's not go crazy after just 1 game. Go watch tape on Oklahoma or Wazzu ... they're in shotgun from the 3-yard line as well.

Funny how we derided a coach because he always harped on "missed assignments" ... but if you watch that sequence from the 3 that's exactly what happened.

There was just way too much use of gimmick plays in that short series. 2 of the plays were gimmick plays and the other two were slow developing plays. The most painful series of plays by far.

Mason and TO run hard last night. And were breaking some tackles. But we chose to get fancy instead of aggressive. Or so it appeared to me.

MH55

Banned
Temple fan who watched last 3 quarters. I saw good news and bad news.

The good:
Looks like Collins got his whole game wardrobe in the men’s section.
Collins started out bad in Year 1 and really bad in Year 2 and turned around both seasons. Waaaay too early to worry about losing to the current #1 ( who won’t stay there, btw)

The bad:
I saw and read the same frustrations we experienced w this offense. Pataneude loves to run short yardage out of the pistol. Get used to it it frustrated our fans his whole tenure.

I mentioned Collins rotated quarterbacks to see what worked as opposed to a strategy. I think it’s a bad way to develop quarterbacks. I believe Coloneude have shortcomings recognizing the best QB.

Questionable time outs. Personally, I think a HC should use a time-out whenever he feels it necessary. Some fans believe it should only be used to stop the clock. Collins uses them at vet different places during a game.

Overall, I didn’t think Tech looked good. Few good individual performances but neither unit was competitive in Death Valley. I have commented this is the first time I’ve seen Collins coach without Matt Rhule’s players. I don’t know how good Johnson’s were....

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
When a QB is running for his life this happens. He had a couple of nice passes too even with a lot of heat and being asked to roll out of the pocket and throw on the run to avoid the rush.
Agreed, it just seemed like the OC completely abandoned passing in the first half after that. Those were make-able passes imo, maybe just early game adrenaline messed him up

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’m pleased overall, but the offensive gameplan was head scratching. OP is partly correct even though I was snarky with the post.

For those saying we’re running the offense based on what the roster is built for then by all means why not just line up in the damn flexbone and run triple all night? I mean, that’s what we’re suited for.

I wanted to see more of a pro style offense not a shotgun spread option attack. Has our staff actually watched an NFL game? Because pro teams get under center with 2 tightends and a rb a lot of the times. This spread shotgun thing is not a pro style offense, not even close. You can accurately say it’s not the flexbone but you can’t accurately call it pro style.

I sound like I’m whining but overall I’m very pleased with the staff.

I felt like a few things were going on (in no order):

1) only one QB with any meaningful game experience - presumably stepping on the field against the defending national champs shouldn’t have been overwhelming emotionally

2) not a ton of confidence that the OL could pass block long enough against what was expected to be, and looks like, an excellent DL

3) not wanting to open it up against a team we had very little chance to beat so we have some surprises for the teams coming up that we hope to compete with better

4) it’s the first game how about let’s not expect the finished product, yet. Maybe give them a couple of games to figure out what we’ve got

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Last night went just about like I expected. The only thing I didn't figure on was Clemson playing dull on offense for parts of the first half. Since this is an offense thread, I won't touch on the other aspects of the game. We're going to struggle to win more than 4-5 games this year unless Yates develops fast. Otherwise, we're going to be very predictable in our playcalling and they'll be stacking the box worse than the CPJ years.

Mason looks like a legitimate P5 RB. That was the best part of our offense last night.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Last night went just about like I expected. The only thing I didn't figure on was Clemson playing dull on offense for parts of the first half. Since this is an offense thread, I won't touch on the other aspects of the game. We're going to struggle to win more than 4-5 games this year unless Yates develops fast. Otherwise, we're going to be very predictable in our playcalling and they'll be stacking the box worse than the CPJ years.

Mason looks like a legitimate P5 RB. That was the best part of our offense last night.
I think i would have redshirted Jordan Yates and rode out the storm in 2019 while Jordan Yates learned what he has to learn about the offense.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m pleased overall, but the offensive gameplan was head scratching. OP is partly correct even though I was snarky with the post.

For those saying we’re running the offense based on what the roster is built for then by all means why not just line up in the damn flexbone and run triple all night? I mean, that’s what we’re suited for.

I wanted to see more of a pro style offense not a shotgun spread option attack. Has our staff actually watched an NFL game? Because pro teams get under center with 2 tightends and a rb a lot of the times. This spread shotgun thing is not a pro style offense, not even close. You can accurately say it’s not the flexbone but you can’t accurately call it pro style.

I sound like I’m whining but overall I’m very pleased with the staff.

Did you actually believe the pro-style marketing? Patenaude has always run the generic college spread wherever he's been. That's all he runs. The only thing different is that you may see his offense look more similar to Clemson's when Gleason gets here. You will not see any under center sets other than the occasional play like the one last night.

For the record, I don't judge patenaude based only on last night. I just think he is unimaginative and basically the exact same o coord you could get at 50 other schools. I think Thacker may be legit.

Also don't mind the generic spread too much if the coordinator has a good feel for the game. I don't think Pnode does. I think he's smart and knows offense, just don't think he's talented at it.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
Did you actually believe the pro-style marketing? Patenaude has always run the generic college spread wherever he's been. That's all he runs. The only thing different is that you may see his offense look more similar to Clemson's when Gleason gets here. You will not see any under center sets other than the occasional play like the one last night.

For the record, I don't judge patenaude based only on last night. I just think he is unimaginative and basically the exact same o coord you could get at 50 other schools. I think Thacker may be legit.

Also don't mind the generic spread too much if the coordinator has a good feel for the game. I don't think Pnode does. I think he's smart and knows offense, just don't think he's talented at it.

Yes, I did.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, I did.

Why would you believe it? Just go watch the tape - he's been a coordinator for a lot of years, it's all he has ever run.

In general I am ok with it. I actually do NOT want what a traditional NFL offense is. What I prefer is someone who is different or innovative in some way. That doesn't always mean the system - sometimes you can just tell when someone is a great oc regardless of the system. Don't think Pnode is. Hopefully he can be decent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a problem with shotgun inside the 10. Let's not go crazy after just 1 game. Go watch tape on Oklahoma or Wazzu ... they're in shotgun from the 3-yard line as well.

Funny how we derided a coach because he always harped on "missed assignments" ... but if you watch that sequence from the 3 that's exactly what happened.
I disagree, which is rare because I don't think I've ever disagreed with you..... ever. But our guys are well trained to punch it in at the goal line under center. All the blather from coach P has been "we're gonna not try to fit round pegs into square holes, we're gonna fit the O to the personnel and their skill set." WTF happened to that philosophy on 1st and goal??? Huge coaching f'up imo.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree, which is rare because I don't think I've ever disagreed with you..... ever. But our guys are well trained to punch in at the goal line under center. All the blather from coach P has been "we're gonna not try to fit round pegs into square holes, we're gonna fit the O to the personnel and their skill set." WTF happened to that philosophy on 1st and goal. Huge coaching f'up imo.

The first down call was shear idiocy. I can't believe we didn't check out of that "swinging gate" looking crap.