Offensive Game Plan

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm just totally speculating here. But I'm sure our coaches are realistic. Much more realistic than some on this board. What was our chance of upsetting Clemson? 1-in-30? I wonder if any other new head coach has ever had his first game against the defending national champ and consensus preseason #1 at their place? Not to mention with a completely new system. If so, it cannot be many. I seriously can't think of a worse scenario for a football team.

I think they came up with a plan that maximized that slim chance. Once it became clear that wasn't going to work, doing anything else- trying more risk-reward plays, wasn't going to affect the outcome.

At that point, what mattered most was getting out of the situation with the team's physical and mental health intact. So, stick to the plan and grind it out. Start the real plan next week.

I also think that's why TO was QB1 for the game. He was the only QB who's played in a big environment before (VT) and they weren't putting him in a position to fail big. TO had some good runs and positives to take away. Asking LJ or Graham to take their first meaningful snaps in that environment against maybe the best secondary in the country, under constant pass rush. Not good for a player's development.

"Start the real plan next week." Hope you're right. We'll find out Saturday. Then we'll find out whether the real game plan is offensive in the good way or the bad way.

Saturday will tell us more about our chances of winning the Coastal than Thursday did.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Cute. My point is that we need to make our offense look interesting and exciting....instead it looked predictable and dull. Personally I think my approach might have reulted in a worse loss, but maybe a more interesting one....gotta think longer term than just one game.
Let me guess, you also put carbon fiber stickers on inside of your Civic and a short ram intake on your engine, which then doubled your car's horse power.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
"Start the real plan next week." Hope you're right. We'll find out Saturday. Then we'll find out whether the real game plan is offensive in the good way or the bad way.

Saturday will tell us more about our chances of winning the Coastal than Thursday did.

Saturday will tell us more about our chances of making a bowl, as well. Harder to pencil in 6 wins if one isn't USF. Not impossible, mind you, but harder.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern about the game plan was using the gun in the red zone and critical short yardage. Every Saturday we see teams start first and ten inside the 5 and wind up with zip points. A good O needs the ability to get short yardage to score and to keep drives alive. Then you can have a 4 down mentality in certain situations and play that to an advantage. I fear PNode will stay in the gun and frustrate me to no end.

A QB starting in the gun is no worse than a running back lined up and getting the ball in short yard situations.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
A QB starting in the gun is no worse than a running back lined up and getting the ball in short yard situations.

People just don't like the visual. I doubt there is evidence it is less effective. I never liked the look of toss plays in short yardage, either, but sometimes they worked.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My gut feeling on this, and it's total speculation, is that CGC and CDP aren't comfortable with ANY of our QBs as a passer just yet. We saw that in the number of pass plays they called. And while Graham did well, he did it against a disinterested third string D. Lack of a sophisticated passing game in a non 3O offense limit the game plan.

So, if you're a HC and OC who doesn't trust the passing (decision making and physical ability) of your QBs, you start the best runner of the bunch. That would be TO. As the season goes on and our guys get more practice time, hopefully we see the staff getting more comfortable with the passing game. We're going to need to get better at it in a hurry if we hope to be competitive this year.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
My biggest concern about the game plan was using the gun in the red zone and critical short yardage. Every Saturday we see teams start first and ten inside the 5 and wind up with zip points. A good O needs the ability to get short yardage to score and to keep drives alive. Then you can have a 4 down mentality in certain situations and play that to an advantage. I fear PNode will stay in the gun and frustrate me to no end.
Lots of people make comments like this on many college team boards, and coaches keep doing what they do. I wonder if there is really a statistically significant difference in scoring from the gun or under center?

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Can we stop the BS “disinterested” backups narrative? These kids don’t bust their *** for a program to not try when they actually get in the game. Those kids are trying to earn playing time and prove they can contribute. Not to mention, their backups were higher rated players out of high school than most of our starters.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Can we stop the BS “disinterested” backups narrative? These kids don’t bust their *** for a program to not try when they actually get in the game. Those kids are trying to earn playing time and prove they can contribute. Not to mention, their backups were higher rated players out of high school than most of our starters.

There's a difference between disinterested and being fired up to play. You don't get fired up to play up 40. You just don't. I'm sorry. Psychology is wild.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Watching the OU - Houston game. OU's plays are beautiful. Great designed plays.

Going to watch this game again...our QBs have the skillset to run what Lincoln Riley is running with Hurts. Hope Patenaude is taking notes.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There's no such thing as a disinterested 3rd string. This is their time to shine. This is their time to show that they deserve prime time game time. Anyone who thinks different, never played on the JV. JV lives to show that they deserve more playing time, especially in prime time.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There's no such thing as a disinterested 3rd string. This is their time to shine. This is their time to show that they deserve prime time game time. Anyone who thinks different, never played on the JV. JV lives to show that they deserve more playing time, especially in prime time.

Third string are also the guys with the least practice reps on the team. Evaluating our backup QBs performance against anyone's third string is a fool's errand.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Third string are also the guys with the least practice reps on the team. Evaluating our backup QBs performance against anyone's third string is a fool's errand.
agree and disagree. Live reps against high quality opponents are reps against top opponents. Graham looked good against high quality kids. Yes, they were young, but they were still high quality kids. I'm heartened by what I saw. I'm not sold, but I'm heartened.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
agree and disagree. Live reps against high quality opponents are reps against top opponents. Graham looked good against high quality kids. Yes, they were young, but they were still high quality kids. I'm heartened by what I saw. I'm not sold, but I'm heartened.

I'm heartened, but not yet ready to christen Graham QB1 like others on this site based off his showing against the third string D in the Clemson game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm heartened, but not yet ready to christen Graham QB1 like others on this site based off his showing against the third string D in the Clemson game.
I agree. Graham looked good, but he has to show more against the 1's. I think the next 3 weeks will determine who will be our start moving forward. I remember it was the Maryland game (3rd game if I'm correct) that Godsey actually decided to take control of the team and become the starter. Until then, it was still up in the air.