OC Hire

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Omg I forgot what he said afterwards. Lol! And then Wes with the “Oh no, I’m confident that will make the rounds.”

A son of a Walmart worker just hosted my son and his family at the packers falcons game. Because he was injured last week he is off and he snuck them into the facilities for a private tour. After the game he had them locker room with other familes . He got 2 of the packers who were on some movie (Pitch perfect) to sign grand daughter cap. The ol guys were asking my son for tips like he gives to him. Son was on cloud 9 . That evening he surprised my daughter in law with a birthday cake.

Son of a former Walmart worker, thank u for giving back what the son of a gt grad did for u .

What I hope Coach meant to have said "he sounds like just got fired from Walmart for coming to work drunk. That how most of the bad dawg fans act".

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
Out of curiosity, who in the world are these players who were seriously considering Tech and Bama in the last few recruiting cycles? I’d bet that every program negative recruits to a certain extent. If Brent was saying things that weren’t true about GT to recruits, that’s an issue. But if his critics of Tech were truthful, can’t blame a man for doing the job he was hired to do.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Out of curiosity, who in the world are these players who were seriously considering Tech and Bama in the last few recruiting cycles? I’d bet that every program negative recruits to a certain extent. If Brent was saying things that weren’t true about GT to recruits, that’s an issue. But if his critics of Tech were truthful, can’t blame a man for doing the job he was hired to do.
It was when he was at UCF if I’m not mistaken.

slugboy

Staff member
This OC thing has me worried. Will we save money or go for the conservative coach.?
TStan needs to open up some money for a front end paid contract and go get a proven oc so GC and hopefully Andy Mac have something to recruit too.
Since AE said it might be the Temple OC , I have been thinking Nooooooo....

Last Wednesday, the coaching search was dragging out and we’d hardly interviewed anyone. This place was pretty stressed out. By Friday we had a head coach and had all stopped arguing .

The rumors and guesses have been more entertaining than accurate so far. It’ll be interesting to see how far off we are.

The way I remember it with Gailey, he didn’t pull in Tenuta, but the AD said “here’s a good DC, and you need one”. Stansbury might have some recommendations for Collins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer

A little further back, but the two big ones were Dalvin Tomlinson, and Kenyon Drake. Both ended up in the NFL and are still playing. (Not Key's recruits)

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
A little further back, but the two big ones were Dalvin Tomlinson, and Kenyon Drake. Both ended up in the NFL and are still playing. (Not Key's recruits)
These reports of Key spouting negative stuff about Tech came up in the Stephen Hill recruitment when Key was at UCF. I haven't heard any reports of him bad mouthing us since then, although it's possible.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Last Wednesday, the coaching search was dragging out and we’d hardly interviewed anyone. This place was pretty stressed out. By Friday we had a head coach and had all stopped arguing .

The rumors and guesses have been more entertaining than accurate so far. It’ll be interesting to see how far off we are.

The way I remember it with Gailey, he didn’t pull in Tenuta, but the AD said “here’s a good DC, and you need one”. Stansbury might have some recommendations for Collins.

Well said. I'll only add that the arguing has also been mildly entertaining.

Also, I thought it was pretty much stated by CGC that the hirings won't come until after Temple and GT's bowl games.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
This is they way I look at negative recruiting schools. Just me personally:

It's a business....that's absolutely 100% true. As a business, if a salesman that my company trained, and invested time into went to another company that's fine. But if that salesman talked crap about his former company trashing it just to score a sale or two, that's fine as well. That salesman though should also understand he closed the door for ever returning as a salesman because he can never look our client in the eye and sell the place he went back to with integrity. You've lost all credibility because now because the words coming out of your mouth are just words trying to convince me I'm not a number you need to put in your win column. You're also telling me you would say or do anything to get me to sign.

What Key did or didn't do only certain people know. It's just pure messageboard conjecture. If he DID say the things he's rumored to have said, and not even taking into account he talked negatively about his alma mater, and a program that helped get him started in his coaching career, how can he sit across the table from parents and recruits and sell loyalty and integrity when he trashed the school he went to and gave him his start in recruiting. How is he going to answer a parent of a 4 or 5 star when they say "Coach Key, you told Johnny QB last week when you worked for 'Bama that GT was extremely hard academically, and the whole time you were there it was a struggle, and you wouldn't go back there again if you could do it over. How can you tell my son now GT is the place to go?"

IMO, there are better ways to go about it. All's fair in recruiting, but there's also a line. I mean, if you trashed a place to get a couple of wins, how do you return and look your ex co-workers and managers in the face? For peaks sakes, you are at 'Bama trying to recruit against GT. I mean, you're working for the best team and the best HC in college football this decade...do you really need to trash another school...especially the school you went to and hope to return to one day?

Agree 100%. If I was at another’s school, I would love to recruit against Keys if he actually said those thing she. I actually recall reading an article about it a few years ago, so I don’t think it isn’t just conjecture.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I thought the Memphis OC would have been a good hire had he not gone to Auburn for the same position. I thought the Memphis offense would fit really well at GT and was a reason I liked Mike Norvell a good bit during the head coaching search.

I feel like if Collins was going to bring Patenaude along, he would have announced it by now. It doesn't make much sense not to do so. He could be waiting for after the Temple bowl game (12/27), but there is no real detriment to the Owls just to say "Yeah, Dave will be my OC when he's done with the bowl."