OC Hire

Milwaukee

Banned
Find me the Wal-Mart quote. I'll be CPJ shops at Wal-Mart, too. :p That does sound familiar, though.

I don't know that joking about your rival in public is negative recruiting ... but OK, how about I get specific with my question: is there a time that he, or any of his assistants ever negatively recruited a prospect on either an in-home visit, an on-campus visit, a phone call, text, or tweet?

I know some of our own fans have negatively recruited kids ... and that's a shame.

It was on one of the more recent PJ radio shows. I don't think you'll find a hidden tape lying around with our recruiting conversations from the living rooms of recruits with their families. But I'm an adult and know 2 plus 2 is 4. You're a bright dude with good content so I doubt that you're naive enough to believe we don't negatively recruit and we are the one team in the nation that are above it while the other 127 schools are morally bankrupt.

This is just business.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Find me the Wal-Mart quote. I'll bet CPJ shops at Wal-Mart, too. :p That does sound familiar, though.

I don't know that joking about your rival in public is negative recruiting ... but OK, how about I get specific with my question: is there a time that he, or any of his assistants ever negatively recruited a prospect on either an in-home visit, an on-campus visit, a phone call, text, or tweet?

I know some of our own fans have negatively recruited kids ... and that's a shame.
I don't have a link @steebu, but I am 100% confident that this happened during a radio show. Some caller got through the screening and essentially did "Go Dawgs woof woof". CPJ very quickly said, "He must have just gotten off his shift at Walmart."

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't have a link @steebu, but I am 100% confident that this happened during a radio show. Some caller got through the screening and essentially did "Go Dawgs woof woof". CPJ very quickly said, "He must have just gotten off his shift at Walmart."

That definitely sounds familiar. I'm sure you're right.

And I'm sure CPJ was right, too. :D

If that's negative recruiting, then so be it.

Although, it would've been funny if CPJ really did say, "Don't get on that plane, Dontae. You'll be pumping gas for the rest of your life if you do."

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm a big Key fan solely because my cousin worked for him last year and is a huge fan. From what I've gathered, collins has talked to him about possibly being recruiting coordinator and o-line coach.
That would be wonderful, I wonder if he would want to be at GT for the when he’s OL coach already at Bama. Maybe the recruiting coordinator would be extra for him, plus a little raise.

bmatthews6

Georgia Tech Fan
He absolutely wants to be back at Tech. I have no clue how the money situation would work out. I would imagine if the OC job was an option down the road he would jump at it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Find me the Wal-Mart quote. I'll bet CPJ shops at Wal-Mart, too. :p That does sound familiar, though.

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/...cle_97bb4b6a-5e48-11e5-bbea-43e9410a5026.html

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He was a person hired to do a job and so did it. You don't let personal feelings get in the way of doing your job.

Our next OC is almost certainly going to be a guy with no personal allegiances to GT anyways, and will be here because it's a job, almost like a mercenary....

And if he talks down his alma mater in doing so his alma mater should never hire him for squat.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Football is business as much as some people don't want to admit it. If Brent Key came to tech to help us recruit a top 15 class every year and win a national championship. I could give two ****s less what he said 10 years ago
Maybe I’m cynical, but I don’t think you can be a good recruiter in today’s climate without being somewhat of a dickhead. He wasn’t cheating or breaking rules, so he would at least be our dickhead if we hired him. I think GT should be honorable and respectful, but I think we can probably push the envelope further than we currently are.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I’m cynical, but I don’t think you can be a good recruiter in today’s climate without being somewhat of a dickhead. He wasn’t cheating or breaking rules, so he would at least be our dickhead if we hired him. I think GT should be honorable and respectful, but I think we can probably push the envelope further than we currently are.

If we hire him he can't negative recruit us anymore ha

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Pi
Who thinks thats a good recruiting joke?
Hopefully not Coach johnson.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Pi

Who thinks thats a good recruiting joke?
Hopefully not Coach johnson.
It had nothing to do with recruiting, and he even said most UGA fans were classy. I definitely forgot the whole context as has since been linked. Those were definitely different times. No way someone could say that in 2018.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is they way I look at negative recruiting schools. Just me personally:

It's a business....that's absolutely 100% true. As a business, if a salesman that my company trained, and invested time into went to another company that's fine. But if that salesman talked crap about his former company trashing it just to score a sale or two, that's fine as well. That salesman though should also understand he closed the door for ever returning as a salesman because he can never look our client in the eye and sell the place he went back to with integrity. You've lost all credibility because now because the words coming out of your mouth are just words trying to convince me I'm not a number you need to put in your win column. You're also telling me you would say or do anything to get me to sign.

What Key did or didn't do only certain people know. It's just pure messageboard conjecture. If he DID say the things he's rumored to have said, and not even taking into account he talked negatively about his alma mater, and a program that helped get him started in his coaching career, how can he sit across the table from parents and recruits and sell loyalty and integrity when he trashed the school he went to and gave him his start in recruiting. How is he going to answer a parent of a 4 or 5 star when they say "Coach Key, you told Johnny QB last week when you worked for 'Bama that GT was extremely hard academically, and the whole time you were there it was a struggle, and you wouldn't go back there again if you could do it over. How can you tell my son now GT is the place to go?"

IMO, there are better ways to go about it. All's fair in recruiting, but there's also a line. I mean, if you trashed a place to get a couple of wins, how do you return and look your ex co-workers and managers in the face? For peaks sakes, you are at 'Bama trying to recruit against GT. I mean, you're working for the best team and the best HC in college football this decade...do you really need to trash another school...especially the school you went to and hope to return to one day?