OC Hire

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I thought the Memphis OC would have been a good hire had he not gone to Auburn for the same position. I thought the Memphis offense would fit really well at GT and was a reason I liked Mike Norvell a good bit during the head coaching search.

I feel like if Collins was going to bring Patenaude along, he would have announced it by now. It doesn't make much sense not to do so. He could be waiting for after the Temple bowl game (12/27), but there is no real detriment to the Owls just to say "Yeah, Dave will be my OC when he's done with the bowl."

He hasn’t announced any coaches yet, but he will after the bowl game.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
His name is Dave Patenaude and he's a good offensive coordinator

https://owlsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1964&path=football
"Good" might be too strong a word. He's OK - mediocre
I thought the Memphis OC would have been a good hire had he not gone to Auburn for the same position. I thought the Memphis offense would fit really well at GT and was a reason I liked Mike Norvell a good bit during the head coaching search.

I feel like if Collins was going to bring Patenaude along, he would have announced it by now. It doesn't make much sense not to do so. He could be waiting for after the Temple bowl game (12/27), but there is no real detriment to the Owls just to say "Yeah, Dave will be my OC when he's done with the bowl."
Coach Kenny Dillingham was my number 1 choice. I think he would have been tremendous - it's too bad Coach Malzahn jumped on him
He is not. That coach has been on the Temple staff since Al Golden. He's a Temple Owl through and through, and has been the interim coach between coaches twice already

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Temples OC had a difficult time with QB’s and injuries to running backs so it’s not all on him concerning the offensive difficulties. Both years they started slow but finished strong.

GT is stocked at every position except TE. There is talent on the roster and if this class comes strong then they’ll be more talent coming particularly at the skills position.

As long as it’s a run heavy approach the offense should be fine. Hopefully he’s hit the ground running if it’s him. His offenses at Coastal Carolina broke records.

https://247sports.com/college/templ...ive-expectations-heading-into-2018-120988355/

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
"Good" might be too strong a word. He's OK - mediocre

If he's just, "OK", I wonder if it would be better to have another OC who's just okay, Tee Martin. Guy can recruit, or so I hear. We have got to get some serious studs in here on the lines of scrimmage.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Temples OC had a difficult time with QB’s and injuries to running backs so it’s not all on him concerning the offensive difficulties. Both years they started slow but finished strong.

GT is stocked at every position except TE. There is talent on the roster and if this class comes strong then they’ll be more talent coming particularly at the skills position.

As long as it’s a run heavy approach the offense should be fine. Hopefully he’s hit the ground running if it’s him. His offenses at Coastal Carolina broke records.

https://247sports.com/college/templ...ive-expectations-heading-into-2018-120988355/

I don't think we're stocked on the OL. Pretty good starters at C and G, but T is questionable and as always, depth is a problem. "Skilled" positions look promising. But the line is what it's all about.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

This can't possible be true. CPJ did not recruit. :)

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Matt Canada has shown his comfort level with a very diverse offense, finding ways to attack in multiple ways and using whatever talent he has. Tech needs someone like him, or Bob Stitt, someone with a flair for -- what was the term bandied about? -- innovation. Patenaude ain't it; while I would say he's got a good track record -- not mediocre -- I certainly hope Tech does better than "good" for an OC.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Canada has a pretty bright mind, although I'm not a big fan of his love for constant shifts and Jet motion. What does worry me more is his reputation for being not such a great guy to work with. Maybe it might work with Collins, since Collins is more defensive-minded, but all the problems seem to stem from the fact that Canada has this reputation of "Hey, why don't you shut your idiot mouth and let me run the offense".

But who knows? Maybe if Collins tells him, "Do whatever you want, I won't interfere ... just score points" then maybe it'll work.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Shotgun diamond formation possibility:

QB: TO/JG/LJ
RB1: Benson
RB2: Mason
RB3: Howard
WR1: Carter
WR2: Camp

Whoever comes in as OC would do well to ride that lineup for 300+ rushing yards per game. All three of those backs have shown the ability to catch, as well.

That lineup, or one in which you put Gantt or Jarrett in at the RB spots, would be easy to break the huddle with, then shuffle everyone but Howard out to WR.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Matt Canada has shown his comfort level with a very diverse offense, finding ways to attack in multiple ways and using whatever talent he has. Tech needs someone like him, or Bob Stitt, someone with a flair for -- what was the term bandied about? -- innovation. Patenaude ain't it; while I would say he's got a good track record -- not mediocre -- I certainly hope Tech does better than "good" for an OC.

I would think he is in the market for head coaching opportunities... not another OC gig. Futhermore, I doubt he would look our way with the money we'd have available to offer him.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Fwiw, I think there's a difference between thinking more coaches might leave and knowing which one's will in terms of preparing for Shreveport.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Shotgun diamond formation possibility:

QB: TO/JG/LJ
RB1: Benson
RB2: Mason
RB3: Howard
WR1: Carter
WR2: Camp

Whoever comes in as OC would do well to ride that lineup for 300+ rushing yards per game. All three of those backs have shown the ability to catch, as well.

That lineup, or one in which you put Gantt or Jarrett in at the RB spots, would be easy to break the huddle with, then shuffle everyone but Howard out to WR.
Put me down for not onboard with the diamond formation. I would much prefer a standard pistol or two back set. The diamond is a *worse* passing formation than the one we currently run. I also think we lack the h-back fullback personnel to really make it shine.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Put me down for not onboard with the diamond formation. I would much prefer a standard pistol or two back set. The diamond is a *worse* passing formation than the one we currently run. I also think we lack the h-back fullback personnel to really make it shine.

Oh I didn't mean it as a primary formation. It can sure be a devastating running formation (which I hope will still be our strength), and we could shift out of it into a 4 or 5 wide set with some of our current ABs.

Two-back pistol set would be great, too, as you can run some read and triple option, RPO, etc.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
His name is Dave Patenaude and he's a good offensive coordinator

https://owlsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1964&path=football
I just found a random season from when he was at Coastal Carolina. They blew out some bad teams and performed pretty mediocre otherwise. He doesn't seem *bad*, but our offense will 100% be worse with him at the helm. We could still be good, but it wasn't like he was averaging 4ppd or anything. Most the games were in the 2-3 range with some blowout wins and some head scratcher losses.

I am holding out hope for someone else.