OC Hire

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If he's a fraud, slick salesman we'll find out soon enough. Kids aren't stupid.. Us older Tech fans are kinda holding our breath and hoping for the best..We've been through some very dark days and have heard it all. I think he will upgrade recruiting which we need to do to try and keep up with the big boys, but he's not gonna sign a class full of 4*-5* players, lets be real.. I'm hoping he gets a few every year, but lets remember he's only been a head coach for 2 years, so imo its extremely important that he surrounds himself with quality assistants and the sooner the better ...

If that was the case it would be well known by now with all the various jobs he’s held over the years

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
If he's a fraud, slick salesman we'll find out soon enough. Kids aren't stupid.. Us older Tech fans are kinda holding our breath and hoping for the best..We've been through some very dark days and have heard it all. I think he will upgrade recruiting which we need to do to try and keep up with the big boys, but he's not gonna sign a class full of 4*-5* players, lets be real.. I'm hoping he gets a few every year, but lets remember he's only been a head coach for 2 years, so imo its extremely important that he surrounds himself with quality assistants and the sooner the better ...

GT is more appealing now than it was in 2007 imo, that year he helped sign 6 four stars. Now, I won’t say that’s going to happen, or will happen every year, but I won’t be surprised one bit if we start signing 5-10 4 stars a year under CGC.

If that was the case it would be well known by now with all the various jobs he’s held over the years
@forensicbuzz was talking about Brent Key in his original post that was quoted, not Geoff Collins. It was Brent Key that was negatively recruiting Tech in that manner and telling recruits to not go to Tech because of the difficulty level

Milwaukee

Banned
@forensicbuzz was talking about Brent Key in his original post that was quoted, not Geoff Collins. It was Brent Key that was negatively recruiting Tech in that manner and telling recruits to not go to Tech because of the difficulty level

When your girl asks you about your ex you better tell her she was ugly and you don't know what you were thinking when you were with her.

This is just business.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Bring a third coach in and have Tri-Offensive Coordinators in that case;)
from triple offense to triple offensive coordinators, I like it. The only question is whose head rolls first if they were to be unsuccessful?

What they should do is have someone create a computer that can read defenses, and call plays based off success probability, I mean this is Georgia Tech....We Can Do That!

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
When your girl asks you about your ex you better tell her she was ugly and you don't know what you were thinking when you were with her.

This is just business.
I wasn't stating an opinion on the tactics one way or another. Just clearing up what I saw as confusion between some regarding who was employing those tactics

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t really care about Brent Key’s recruiting rumors, but I don’t think he’d be a great choice for the position at this time with this head coach. He has so little OC experience, and the little experience he does have was not successful. Brent Key would be a very risky choice for OC, especially since Collins is a defensive-minded coach, leaving no safety net to fall back on if Key is in over his head. By all accounts, he is great at coaching up players, but we need someone who’s shown an aptitude for play design, playbook construction, and play-calling. This is going to be a tricky hire. I don’t know who I would pick. Anyone know if the American Conference has any offensive coordinators who might be interested in moving up to a P5 job at Georgia Tech?

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
After doing a little internet research, Mike Denbrock might be a good choice. He’s currently the OC at Cincy. He has a reputation as a good recruiter and play caller. He has a ton of experience at all levels and runs a spread offense. If he were willing to come to Tech, I think he would be a great fit for what we want to do on offense and a good complement to Geoff Collins. The only downside is that most of his coaching was in the Midwest, so he might not have the connections in the south that we would like.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
There's new competition for OC's as NC State just lost there's to be HC at App State.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And that is different than saying that other teams don't have degree's that matter how? Everyone negative recruits. Even us.

Doing it against your own alma mater isn’t different for you? He’s a mercenary and proved he has no personal allegiance to GT. Whatever it takes to get ahead. Strong pass. The day he coaches on a Tech sideline is the day I stop attending and watching games.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My comments were regarding Brent Key not our current coach. I’m cautiously optimistic about CGC.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Doing it against your own alma mater isn’t different for you? He’s a mercenary and proved he has no personal allegiance to GT. Whatever it takes to get ahead. Strong pass. The day he coaches on a Tech sideline is the day I stop attending and watching games.

He was a person hired to do a job and so did it. You don't let personal feelings get in the way of doing your job.

Our next OC is almost certainly going to be a guy with no personal allegiances to GT anyways, and will be here because it's a job, almost like a mercenary....

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
And that is different than saying that other teams don't have degree's that matter how? Everyone negative recruits. Even us.

Can you give me an example of us negatively recruiting? Genuine question.

Did CPJ tell Dontae Aycock, "Don't get on that plane ... you'll be pumping gas for the rest of your life if you go to Auburn"?

Milwaukee

Banned
Can you give me an example of us negatively recruiting? Genuine question.

Did CPJ tell Dontae Aycock, "Don't get on that plane ... you'll be pumping gas for the rest of your life if you go to Auburn"?

Paul Johnson has talked about UGA and Wal-Mart in the same sentence, as he should have. Kind of jokingly, but it's all part of the job.

This is business.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul Johnson has talked about UGA and Wal-Mart in the same sentence, as he should have. Kind of jokingly, but it's all part of the job.

This is business.

Find me the Wal-Mart quote. I'll bet CPJ shops at Wal-Mart, too. :p That does sound familiar, though.

I don't know that joking about your rival in public is negative recruiting ... but OK, how about I get specific with my question: is there a time that he, or any of his assistants ever negatively recruited a prospect on either an in-home visit, an on-campus visit, a phone call, text, or tweet?

I know some of our own fans have negatively recruited kids ... and that's a shame.

Last edited: