OC Hire

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
He wouldn’t come here for just a rc gig. I’d like to have him. Best Atlanta recruiter there is. His lack of oc success is a risk I’d be willing to take.
I don't understand why this seems to be a prevailing opinion. We will never recruit good enough to overcome a bad OC. Now, you could argue whether Tee is bad I guess, but I personally would rather get an OC who is first and foremost a really good OC. It's not all recruiting - we have to develop and game plan in addition to recruiting. I understand that recruiting needs to be an attribute, but it shouldn't be the primary one.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He probably won’t announce until after the bowl game.

Also Tee Martin wasn’t a bad OC, I don’t think he’ll be at GT though.
“Not a bad OC” is an interesting way of phrasing “did less with incredible talent”. I agree he wasn’t bad, but his offenses should have been better given their players. FEI of 22, 20, and 87 when you have more talent than everyone on your schedule does not pop out for me. GT is averaging better than that and has considerably less talent and comparative schedule.

I’ll pass on Tee Martin.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand why this seems to be a prevailing opinion. We will never recruit good enough to overcome a bad OC. Now, you could argue whether Tee is bad I guess, but I personally would rather get an OC who is first and foremost a really good OC. It's not all recruiting - we have to develop and game plan in addition to recruiting. I understand that recruiting needs to be an attribute, but it shouldn't be the primary one.
It should be the primary one. Not sure what else to say. Studs win championships not schemes. A good balance creates dynasties

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
If I had to switch to a more passing type offense, I would go after Phil Longo. He just went to UNC. They also got the DC from army, who I would of wanted if Monken got the GT job. Look for UNC to compete. Great hires by Mack!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
It should be the primary one. Not sure what else to say. Studs win championships not schemes. A good balance creates dynasties

Geoff is the recruiter for us. Having an OC that is really good but maybe not as dynamic as collins could be ok for us. Geoff will naturally fill that recruiter role...having a good oc thats seasoned may be better

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Geoff is the recruiter for us. Having an OC that is really good but maybe not as dynamic as collins could be ok for us. Geoff will naturally fill that recruiter role...having a good oc thats seasoned may be better

You still need to have your OC do some recruiting. It is impossible for the HC to be everywhere. All your position coaches have to be out there - you can get away with giving them smaller geographical areas to recruit to lessen that burden, if you want to do that.
In fact, I'm a little surprised we haven't started hearing about more potential hires because Collins needs to start building a staff to go out there and make connections and contacts.
Plus, if there are any guys who leave and as a result open up 'ships, he has the normal signing day where he can fill those spots that might open (don't know if any will).
Perhaps he is being deferential to the staff already on board.
But he could be faced with replacing everybody in an on field capacity. Is there anything on Woody potentially going back to App to be the HC?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You still need to have your OC do some recruiting. It is impossible for the HC to be everywhere. All your position coaches have to be out there - you can get away with giving them smaller geographical areas to recruit to lessen that burden, if you want to do that.
In fact, I'm a little surprised we haven't started hearing about more potential hires because Collins needs to start building a staff to go out there and make connections and contacts.
Plus, if there are any guys who leave and as a result open up 'ships, he has the normal signing day where he can fill those spots that might open (don't know if any will).
Perhaps he is being deferential to the staff already on board.
But he could be faced with replacing everybody in an on field capacity. Is there anything on Woody potentially going back to App to be the HC?

No i get that. Of course the oc will still need to recruit. My point is if your hc is cpj you need strong asst recruiters. If your hc is dabo geoff collins kirby smart you can get away with an oc like **** cheney or assistants not as strong there but good coaches.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I really have a bad feeling that he's bringing his Temple OC

I wasn't impressed, but I hope whatever he does works out.

Temple's offensive statistics have not been impressive. Check their FEI and SP ratings. Hopefully we hire someone else.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I really have a bad feeling that he's bringing his Temple OC

I wasn't impressed, but I hope whatever he does works out.
U are pretty prescient in many things so now in this oc matter I hope u are way way off

Come on Gt get a really good oc with some wow factor so the staff can begin attracting top talent. Steal someone!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
One issue I think most teams face is talent allocation. Unless you're a factory it's tough to be stacked with talent on both sides of the ball. Coaching philosophies then tend to dictate where the talent you get ends up. Defensive minded coaches allocate the best talent to defense, while offensive minded coaches put it on offense. That's why so many teams appear to be so one sided and say things like, "man, if we could just have a good [offense/defense] for once!"

I always thought CPJ's scheme allowed us the luxury of putting our better athletes on defense and letting our offensive scheme account for the talent gap, but that dream never materialized. Instead we just had extremely efficient offenses and pretty bad defenses. I worry that now it's going to shift the other way...

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CGC will probably get an OC that he has crossed paths with before, if I had to guess. Here is a list of guys who he’s been around that I wouldn’t mind. Please feel free to add names if you know any. I know it’s not many names, I got tired of looking after 2 schools lol.

Brent Key
John Hevesy
Bill Gonzales

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Not for OC it shouldn't be. It's not like we can't get a really good OC that can also recruit.

Do you guys actually think tech can stockpile talent that would be good enough to overcome poor coaching? Yes, we need a talent upgrade, but we still need really good coaching to be successful here.

slugboy

Staff member
From what I understand, Fridge didn’t recruit much as OC and Tenuta didn’t as DC. You can do well with a non recruiting coordinator, but they need to make up for it elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk