OC Hire

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
So a death couldn’t have caused the turmoil? Were you there and knew all the details of what was going on behind the sense? How much did OLeary have his hands in the pot still? Injuries, losing players to the NFL, all that stuff doesn’t contribute to it? Stuff that goes beyond Key? tbh we have no clue, unless you were behind the sense and saw everything going on. I’ve actually challenged people to go watch his games, and brake down what he doesn’t do good as an OC, yet no one has done it yet. And even if what you say about Key being the de facto HC is true, that should hold no weight on him being able to play calls. Maybe he was in over his head and trying to do to much at the de facto HC, that still should hold weight on if he has the ability to call plays or not.
Kentucky had a similar situation in 1994 after a starting offensive lineman(Trent DiGiuro) was murdered in a drive by and the team collapsed to a 1-10 record after going to the Peach Bowl in 1993.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So a death couldn’t have caused the turmoil? Were you there and knew all the details of what was going on behind the sense? How much did OLeary have his hands in the pot still? Injuries, losing players to the NFL, all that stuff doesn’t contribute to it? Stuff that goes beyond Key? tbh we have no clue, unless you were behind the sense and saw everything going on. I’ve actually challenged people to go watch his games, and brake down what he doesn’t do good as an OC, yet no one has done it yet. And even if what you say about Key being the de facto HC is true, that should hold no weight on him being able to play calls. Maybe he was in over his head and trying to do to much at the de facto HC, that still should hold weight on if he has the ability to call plays or not.

I'm not going to air out Key's laundary. You can google it if you really want to know.

I'll just say this. Key was a rising star in coaching circles at the time. There's a reason he's only been an OL coach since the UCF debacle, and there's a reason why no P5 program has taken a chance on him as an OC. Do you want GT to take the chance on him? I do not.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to air out Key's laundary. You can google it if you really want to know.

I'll just say this. Key was a rising star in coaching circles at the time. There's a reason he's only been an OL coach since the UCF debacle, and there's a reason why no P5 program has taken a chance on him as an OC. Do you want GT to take the chance on him? I do not.

Amen, the guy failed miserably as an OC in his one chance, his next chance as an OC needs to be somewhere like the University of West Ga to prove it wasn’t a fluke.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Amen, the guy failed miserably as an OC in his one chance, his next chance as an OC needs to be somewhere like the University of West Ga to prove it wasn’t a fluke.

I said this, and I think it's true. If Key didn't have "GT" on his resume, would any GT fan even brought up his name? Some of us really need to get the GT homer out of our blood and make rational business decisions, not decisions based on emotion.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Like I said, if someone can brake down what he does wrong as an OC then I’ll listen. All that other stuff to me is hear say, with no proof. But that’s jmo. Also to use the fact that no other teams have gone after him as an OC makes it seem like it’s been forever since he’s been on OC, it’s only been 3 seasons. Also, who knows? Maybe he has been offered, but it wasn’t a good enough deal to leave Bama.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I said this, and I think it's true. If Key didn't have "GT" on his resume, would any GT fan even brought up his name? Some of us really need to get the GT homer out of our blood and make rational business decisions, not decisions based on emotion.
Isnt that the case for most jobs? There are a lot of guys that wouldn’t get jobs if it wasn’t for connections, that’s really what it’s about most of the time. I’ll put it this way, there are guys that someone wouldn’t go after because they wouldnt think it would be possible to get them. But just because of connections they can go after them. Watch, CGC will hire guys with connections, CGC was more than likely hired because of connections as well. It’s part of the sport. I also mentioned other names not related to GT but related to CGC. The original message was bringing up guys who are connected to CGC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Like I said, if someone can brake down what he does wrong as an OC then I’ll listen. All that other stuff to me is hear say, with no proof. But that’s jmo. Also to use the fact that no other teams have gone after him as an OC makes it seem like it’s been forever since he’s been on OC, it’s only been 3 seasons. Also, who knows? Maybe he has been offered, but it wasn’t a good enough deal to leave Bama.

Let me ask you this: What makes Key qualified to run GT's offense? What in his resume in terms of on the field performance stands out that even makes Key an option for GT?

If you lead it by saying "He's a GT guy, and he can recruit..." and not by what his offenses have actually done, then I think you'll see why he shouldn't even be considered. I have zero problems with CGC hiring Key as an offensive assistant and possibly promoting him somewhere down the line if our OC position opens again, but the OC hire is right now is one of the most important hires for CGC and our program. There's no way I'd want CGC to take a chance on an OC who's last team had an attrocious offense, regardless of circumstance.

GT isn't Middle Tennessee or Murray State where we need to take those chances. We're a P5 program that has a good football program. We can do better...MUCH better.

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Image%201.jpeg

Neitzel! Anyone remember fluid mechanics ?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
This is kinda contrary to my usual position, but I think there's value to going all in on proven recruiters. Since it sounds like we will not have the schematic advantage we had with CPJ, we need to clearly win the Jimmy/Joe fight with other Coastal teams. If Tee Martin -- or someone similarly connected and respected -- can swing 2-3 elite kids who fit Tech, and make our "brand" "cool" without getting us into late-Hewitt trouble, then I am for it. I do not expect us to meaningfully compete with Clemson or UGA in the next couple years, but if we can establish a "unique" brand (even if somewhat at the expense of a "unique" scheme) then we will be well positioned once the capital raise starts to show results in years 3-5.

Also, I'm willing to give Tee a pass on USC's offense this year. In the two years before, they beat most of the teams where they had a decided talent edge except for that wild game at Wazzu. Losing to Stanford, OSU, Notre Dame, Bama and even a close one at Utah is not acceptable but (as a UCLA grad) pretty par for Trojan course. In the same vein, starting a QB who should be in high school is a terrible idea, but the kind of terrible idea that USC has a long history of going all in on. Obviously it would be better to get Kingsbury or someone else with both schematic and recruiting expertise, but I am intrigued.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
What happened at UCF? Why & how did it all fall apart in one year? He was assistant head coach.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask you this: What makes Key qualified to run GT's offense? What in his resume in terms of on the field performance stands out that even makes Key an option for GT?

If you lead it by saying "He's a GT guy, and he can recruit..." and not by what his offenses have actually done, then I think you'll see why he shouldn't even be considered. I have zero problems with CGC hiring Key as an offensive assistant and possibly promoting him somewhere down the line if our OC position opens again, but the OC hire is right now is one of the most important hires for CGC and our program. There's no way I'd want CGC to take a chance on an OC who's last team had an attrocious offense, regardless of circumstance.

GT isn't Middle Tennessee or Murray State where we need to take those chances. We're a P5 program that has a good football program. We can do better...MUCH better.
Lol, I ask a question/challenge, you don’t do it, and then turn it around and ask me a question?

Btw I’ve mentioned on here before that he wouldn’t be my first choice. Go back to my original message and you will see I was simply posting names of guys with connections that I wouldn’t mind, at no point did I say Key is the man and needs this job.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is kinda contrary to my usual position, but I think there's value to going all in on proven recruiters. Since it sounds like we will not have the schematic advantage we had with CPJ, we need to clearly win the Jimmy/Joe fight with other Coastal teams. If Tee Martin -- or someone similarly connected and respected -- can swing 2-3 elite kids who fit Tech, and make our "brand" "cool" without getting us into late-Hewitt trouble, then I am for it. I do not expect us to meaningfully compete with Clemson or UGA in the next couple years, but if we can establish a "unique" brand (even if somewhat at the expense of a "unique" scheme) then we will be well positioned once the capital raise starts to show results in years 3-5.

Also, I'm willing to give Tee a pass on USC's offense this year. In the two years before, they beat most of the teams where they had a decided talent edge except for that wild game at Wazzu. Losing to Stanford, OSU, Notre Dame, Bama and even a close one at Utah is not acceptable but (as a UCLA grad) pretty par for Trojan course. In the same vein, starting a QB who should be in high school is a terrible idea, but the kind of terrible idea that USC has a long history of going all in on. Obviously it would be better to get Kingsbury or someone else with both schematic and recruiting expertise, but I am intrigued.

The difference between Key and Tee Martin is TM has a history of running a successful offenses. His offense in 2017 was #20 in FEI, and #22 in 2016. This season it dipped to 87, but there's a history to his success. You can say Martin had really good talent to work with, but MANY teams have a lot of talent to work with and still suck. Just look at LSU every season or Texas or Texas A&M.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lol, I ask a question/challenge, you don’t do it, and then turn it around and ask me a question?

Btw I’ve mentioned on here before that he wouldn’t be my first choice. Go back to my original message and you will see I was simply posting names of guys with connections that I wouldn’t mind, at no point did I say Key is the man and needs this job.

I've already answered the question. You didn't accept it...that's your perogative.

Still waiting on why you would even bring up Key's name in the first place. Again, what has his offenses done that he deserves to be an OC at a P5 program like GT? The fact that you can't tell us and you're deflecting tells us all we need to know.