OC Hire

slugboy

Staff member
I’d like to chime in about Monken, too, but this is the OC thread.

No new rumors recently. Just Dixon and S&C coach announcements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Man, he took them into overtime. Army going 11-2 is spectacular under any circumstances. I mean, this is Army we're talking about.

I agree completely. But the negative, and imo false, narratives about the 3-O are very real and very widely accepted. CPJ didn’t move that meter much at GT. Make of that what you will. Some big program may roll the dice in Monken. If they do I think the payoff will be huge.

Hopefully the Temple OC will surprise me. I’m
Not expecting big things on that side next couple of years. Just mediocre on O may be enough with what I think CGC will do for our defense.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I recognize that this is the OC thread, but a lot of interesting discussion that elecited some analysis:

Positives to monken as a candidate:
-great energy / personality
-track record: turned around army and took GSU deep into the playoff every year
-probably best TO guy in the prime of his HC career

The flip side to Monken:
-the TO cut block rules are making this offense more and more challenging to operate
-while his success at Army is strong, look at his wins: E Michigan, Colgate, Lafayette

On PJ & the TO:
-his biggest problem was his attitude and unwillingness to manage optics: Very stubborn and unwilling to adapt the offense. Kind of a curmudgeon personality that didn’t build a favorable image with the public or media
-assistant coaches were highly under-qualified (many had little / no recruiting or P5 experience before accepting their job) or old dudes who didn’t recruit well or adapt their coaching styles
-player development and S&C: guys like brant Mitchell or qua searcy showed little physical development between 2015 and now

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree completely. But the negative, and imo false, narratives about the 3-O are very real and very widely accepted. CPJ didn’t move that meter much at GT. Make of that what you will. Some big program may roll the dice in Monken. If they do I think the payoff will be huge.

Hopefully the Temple OC will surprise me. I’m
Not expecting big things on that side next couple of years. Just mediocre on O may be enough with what I think CGC will do for our defense.

But we do we know for sure that Patenaude will be the OC? He's coming here, but in what capacity? I'm not real crazy about him, myself. But what do I know? Haven't heard much about him as a recruiter, and seems only so-so as an OC. Hoping for something better. Like who? I don't know. Maybe Tee Martin, but that seems a far off possibility at this point. Just not too crazy about Patenaude. Some Temple folks say he doesn't get along with his players.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I recognize that this is the OC thread, but a lot of interesting discussion that elecited some analysis:

Positives to monken as a candidate:
-great energy / personality
-track record: turned around army and took GSU deep into the playoff every year
-probably best TO guy in the prime of his HC career

The flip side to Monken:
-the TO cut block rules are making this offense more and more challenging to operate
-while his success at Army is strong, look at his wins: E Michigan, Colgate, Lafayette

On PJ & the TO:
-his biggest problem was his attitude and unwillingness to manage optics: Very stubborn and unwilling to adapt the offense. Kind of a curmudgeon personality that didn’t build a favorable image with the public or media
-assistant coaches were highly under-qualified (many had little / no recruiting or P5 experience before accepting their job) or old dudes who didn’t recruit well or adapt their coaching styles
-player development and S&C: guys like brant Mitchell or qua searcy showed little physical development between 2015 and now

Only thing I’ll argue is cut block rules. Even there I agree to an extenot. But it didn’t hurt Army much vs OK.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
I will be horribly disappointed if Patenaude is our OC. We need either strong, proven experience in the position at the FBS level or a young, energetic recruiting type. Ideally a mix of both. Patenaude has only three years of experience as an OC in the FBS with mediocre results at Temple and Coastal Carolina and he's a 50 year old, gray haired, horn-rimmed glasses wearing white dude with no recruiting ties to the area.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
The fact that he hasn't been named OC yet makes me think he isn't the guy. I would be OK with Key getting the job personally. Just my opinion.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Only thing I’ll argue is cut block rules. Even there I agree to an extenot. But it didn’t hurt Army much vs OK.
Not to argue, but just a point to consider: Oklahoma probably hasn’t played a TO team in the past decade. I would also argue that Ok was severely caught off guard given that the TO style of offense is so stark relative to the pass-happy offenses in the rest of the Big 12 and southwest area.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I would be happy with Key. GT guy - knows the culture and academic rigor. From the Southest. Strong reputation as a recruiter and obviously very highly regarded in the coaching circles.

Knows the culture and academic rigor. And has gone to recruits homes and told them that in his experience it has no value.

How’s that gonna affect him with rivals use that to recruit negative against him now?

And he has shown absolutely nothing to warrant making play calls on the sidelines at GT or any other P5 school.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
Knows the culture and academic rigor. And has gone to recruits homes and told them that in his experience it has no value.

How’s that gonna affect him with rivals use that to recruit negative against him now?

And he has shown absolutely nothing to warrant making play calls on the sidelines at GT or any other P5 school.

Wait, let me get this straight... So, first of all, you know for a fact that he has told recruits his GT degree has no value? And, secondly, you believe that somehow some other coach at some point in the future is going to tell a recruit that, and that somehow that statement is going to be the difference in landing that recruit?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Wait, let me get this straight... So, first of all, you know for a fact that he has told recruits his GT degree has no value? And, secondly, you believe that somehow some other coach at some point in the future is going to tell a recruit that, and that somehow that statement is going to be the difference in landing that recruit?

If he said it, it's a disqualifier IMO. The question is, did he say it or is it just an internet rumor?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t care what Key said years ago. My concern with him is his track record. He may be phenomenal in his role in Alabama, but does anyone know what kind of offense he would actually call?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

It was pretty widely reported here and if I remember correctly also mentioned in the media though perhaps vaguely on that last point.

Hey if it was fake news and he never did it. My apologies to him and bring him in as a recruiter. He’s still in no way qualified to call plays as an OC.

If it was true he should never coach at Tech again. And yes that will be used against him with recruits effectively. Because relationships right? Hard to have a trustworthy relationship with someone who obviously will tell you anything to get ahead.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We know. You and others keep repeating it over and over. It's time for real recruiting

Well, we know your thoughts about "gold and white", but you still keep repeating that over and over. Why is it ok for you, but for some reason, not ok for other topics?

By the way, I agree with you on colors, but it does seem a little strange to point out a post that you don't like reading because it has been repeated.

Selective "outrage". It is ok with any of us who have strong opinions and knowledge to post something, even if it is repeated, as long as it fits with the thread somewhat. "Bullying" others to try to get them NOT to share their posts should be avoided. If you don't want to see someone's posts, that is what "ignore" is for.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
The fact that he hasn't been named OC yet makes me think he isn't the guy. I would be OK with Key getting the job personally. Just my opinion.

No one has been named today, even though there are rumored to be a number of Temple defensive coaches announced soon.
@Yomanser posted info he was trying to qualify earlier. Probably one of the better places to look.

Normal outlets of information seem really quiet today.