OC Hire

slugboy

Staff member
After even a second of reflection, does anyone think debating racial effects on recruiting is the thing we want to do in any thread, much less the OC thread?
I don't see an insightful post on the topic outweighing all the others that really need not to happen.
I think many of you have noticed that message boards have some issues with misinterpretation. Maybe it's a better subject for a face to face conversation.
giphy.gif

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
If he said it, it's a disqualifier IMO. The question is, did he say it or is it just an internet rumor?

I agree. If that's what he said, don't consider him. All I have seen is silly speculation on the internet that some people associated with our program were not happy with some negative recruiting that Key participated in. And we should be clear that all teams recruit against each other. So telling a 5* WR something like "you aren't going to need to go to a school that requires you to take calculus, we're going to put you in the NFL" is different from saying "my experience at GT has no value". But it's absurd to write off a candidate because someone online once heard from their uncle's friend's cousin that Key wasn't nice one day years ago.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
It was pretty widely reported here and if I remember correctly also mentioned in the media though perhaps vaguely on that last point.

Hey if it was fake news and he never did it. My apologies to him and bring him in as a recruiter. He’s still in no way qualified to call plays as an OC.

If it was true he should never coach at Tech again. And yes that will be used against him with recruits effectively. Because relationships right? Hard to have a trustworthy relationship with someone who obviously will tell you anything to get ahead.

If he did say it exactly how you laid it out and someone in our organization knows it as a fact, then I agree, don't consider him. But it's utterly absurd to believe an 17 year old recruit that would have otherwise signed with us ultimately ends up not picking GT now because someone somewhere on the internet once said that a coach once said not nice things about GT years ago to some other recruit while in some other job. Utterly absurd.

And you realize that all OC's at some point had never called plays before, right? Having not been an OC before does not mean he is "in no way qualified to call plays as an OC". Otherwise no one would ever be qualified to call plays as an OC. Ever. He's highly respected in coaching circles and widely considered one of the best assistants in the country. Nick Saban essentially demoted once of his longest serving assistants to make space to hire Key. He don't garner that kind of respect by not understanding X's and O's.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If he did say it exactly how you laid it out and someone in our organization knows it as a fact, then I agree, don't consider him. But it's utterly absurd to believe an 17 year old recruit that would have otherwise signed with us ultimately ends up not picking GT now because someone somewhere on the internet once said that a coach once said not nice things about GT years ago to some other recruit while in some other job. Utterly absurd.

And you realize that all OC's at some point had never called plays before, right? Having not been an OC before does not mean he is "in no way qualified to call plays as an OC". Otherwise no one would ever be qualified to call plays as an OC. Ever. He's highly respected in coaching circles and widely considered one of the best assistants in the country. Nick Saban essentially demoted once of his longest serving assistants to make space to hire Key. He don't garner that kind of respect by not understanding X's and O's.

If he never said it bring him. I don’t believe that’s true so I oppose.

OL coach with one year of horrendous results calling plays at BCS school shouldn’t be hired by any P5 team except maybe from within his current team. Let any such prove their worth at a lower level calling plays first. Or let BAma promote him from within if he’s that good. The. He can move to a hc spot somewhere.

And plenty of Saban under studies have moved on to fail.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
If he never said it bring him. I don’t believe that’s true so I oppose.

OL coach with one year of horrendous results calling plays at BCS school shouldn’t be hired by any P5 team except maybe from within his current team. Let any such prove their worth at a lower level calling plays first. Or let BAma promote him from within if he’s that good. The. He can move to a hc spot somewhere.

And plenty of Saban under studies have moved on to fail.

If we can get an experienced FBS OC with a good track record, I am all for that person over Key. I'm not sold on Key being the best possible hire. I just said I would be happy with him compared to some of the other names i have heard here. But if we have to go with someone lacking experience as an OC in a P5 conference, I would greatly prefer him over Patenaude. At least he has some upside.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If we can get an experienced FBS OC with a good track record, I am all for that person over Key. I'm not sold on Key being the best possible hire. I just said I would be happy with him compared to some of the other names i have heard here. But if we have to go with someone lacking experience as an OC in a P5 conference, I would greatly prefer him over Patenaude. At least he has some upside.

Understandable. But other than recruiting he’s a big unknown at best as a signal called imo. I’m not thrilled with Patenaufe either but I’d take him over Key at this point and count myself lucky.

I’m gonna throw up and maybe ditch my season tickets if Key comes on board and the “rumor” of his bad mouthing Tech degrees isn’t in some way refuted.

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
Understandable. But other than recruiting he’s a big unknown at best as a signal called imo. I’m not thrilled with Patenaufe either but I’d take him over Key at this point and count myself lucky.

I’m gonna throw up and maybe ditch my season tickets if Key comes on board and the “rumor” of his bad mouthing Tech degrees isn’t in some way refuted.

Fair enough. I guess for both of our sake's I hope that there is some dark horse third option that comes through that has less potential baggage and also has something more on their resume to get excited about.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Count me in the minority but I want an OC who's known as an x's and o's guy above being a recruiter.

I feel like at least some of our coaches are going to have to actually.......coach.

I agree with this. If we have coaches that can do both at a high level, that would be GREAT. But, even if we bring in a few more 4 star guys, if they can't be coached to play smarter and better against our competition like Clem's Son and UGAG, there will be little hope of success.

GT must play by the rules, as we have seen in the past, we will not get any mistakes overlooked by the NCAA.