OC Hire

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So with the Kerry Dixon hire, could Toledo’s OC be the guy we’re going after? Thats a very potent offense. (Shout-out to Techster for hypothesizing this first in another thread)

It's more than likely Patenaude at Temple, IMO. He's actually a better than what he's shown at Temple. I'd be happy with him. LOVE what he did at Coastal Carolina.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
It's more than likely Patenaude at Temple, IMO. He's actually a better than what he's shown at Temple. I'd be happy with him. LOVE what he did at Coastal Carolina.
Can anyone provide clips of his offense at Coastal Carolina? I’m lazy and don’t feel like looking it up...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’ve said before that I think it’s about 60/40 recruiting/coaching.

Will be interesting to see if, in fact, GT can up its recruiting game, or if the structural issues keep us about the same level. We’ve definitely hired the right guy to prove this out.
Make it 75-25 and you about have it. The Alabamas, Clemsons, Ohio States, etc., know the reality that without the players the rest is useless. They have just 20 hours a week and so skill at the outset is paramount. A great QB coach can coach just so much couch potato.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
It just seemed like we heard CPJ say "We've got to do a better job at coaching them, I guess" after too many losses for me to feel like our previous position coaches were doing a great job. If our new coaches are at least verifiably great recruiters, then at least we upgrade there. The coaching suffered in a lot of aspects, especially OL ("too many missed assignments from guys who have played").

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It just seemed like we heard CPJ say "We've got to do a better job at coaching them, I guess" after too many losses for me to feel like our previous position coaches were doing a great job. If our new coaches are at least verifiably great recruiters, then at least we upgrade there. The coaching suffered in a lot of aspects, especially OL ("too many missed assignments from guys who have played").

"We need to simplify..."

(n)

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Your doing a good job of making me feel better about him, and if CGC is good with him after two years coaching together then i am good too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Your doing a good job of making me feel better about him, and if CGC is good with him after two years coaching together then i am good too.

He'll have better pieces to play with at GT. Temple was recruiting dual threat guys to become more of a diverse offense to run some of the zone read/option stuff at he did at Coastal Carolina. Guess what? They already have that with James Graham, Lucas Johnson, and Jordan Yates coming in. We don't have the speed outside yet, maybe Amerean Brown we signed, but we have guys who can be matchup problems at the slot.

Patenaude and Graham attack rushing differently from CPJ, but they do emphasize rushing the ball. Ironically, Temple was 49 in total offense, and GT was 50th in total offense...though GT was better in yards per play and a higher OFEI. Temple had some transitional issues with personnel and new scheme which they were recruiting out of. As long as we maintain an OFEI in the 20's and 30's, and CGC can do his magic on defense and keep our DFEI in the 20's, that's a pretty good combo to win the Coastal every year.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
yall have me going for a second heh. i didnt read all of the last name so my first thought was... wtf is professor pataki from the me school doing with our offense.

pat ENOUDE . much better. anybody remember prof sing song pataki? ;)

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
Going to be an adjustment watching the Jackets with some no huddle and using signals to call in plays.

The OL might have to gain a little more endurance this off season, while getting bigger at the same time. Big challenge.
Yeah, I know that there are plenty of folks that are saying the OL won’t be a problem, but I’m not buying it. I might feel a little better if we had shown the slightest ability to pass protect.

The InstAtute

Georgia Tech Fan
He'll have better pieces to play with at GT. Temple was recruiting dual threat guys to become more of a diverse offense to run some of the zone read/option stuff at he did at Coastal Carolina. Guess what? They already have that with James Graham, Lucas Johnson, and Jordan Yates coming in. We don't have the speed outside yet, maybe Amerean Brown we signed, but we have guys who can be matchup problems at the slot.

Patenaude and Graham attack rushing differently from CPJ, but they do emphasize rushing the ball. Ironically, Temple was 49 in total offense, and GT was 50th in total offense...though GT was better in yards per play and a higher OFEI. Temple had some transitional issues with personnel and new scheme which they were recruiting out of. As long as we maintain an OFEI in the 20's and 30's, and CGC can do his magic on defense and keep our DFEI in the 20's, that's a pretty good combo to win the Coastal every year.
He may have better pieces to play with, but he will also face better competition with our schedule. We will have to get our new offense installed quickly. CGC is correct that we will need or defense and special teams to play way above average for us to be successful in the next couple of years.