OC Hire

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
When I saw SEC and Notre Dame I just assumed you were picking randomly =)
The way I see it. In the playoffs:
AL: Spread option
Clemson: Spread option
ND: Spread option
Oklahoma: Air Raid

Of those teams, only Oklahoma is the only team without a top 10 defense as well.

Versions of the spread seem to be consistently in the top 10 for offenses but that is probably due to how many teams run it now. I think in the top 10 only UGA runs a pro set, and they have the talent to run over everyone. When you consider what GT and Army are able to do with less talent it's impressive. Same can be said for Washington State though. If people want a dramatic shift that still gave us a schematic advantage I'd go Air Raid.

Seeing this, what kind of offense WV runs as they completely destroyed that defense.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't put much stock in an NFL guy or a true "NFL system" since we really don't know what that means anymore with NFL teams actually evolving their offenses. Coach Collins had said in his interviews that we're going to be multiple on both O and D.

That said, if Coach believes Goose is a fit for a position on the staff (OC, position coach, etc.) and can help execute what it is Tech needs to do to be successful offensively, I'm all for it. I do believe that George Godsey is a good football coach (Belichick hired him on staff and IIRC what I had read, he blocked Goose following Bill O'Brien to penn state...he wouldn't do that if he was arse as a coach), but I'm not sold on hiring him solely because he's a Tech man (and a near-legendary former player at that). He would have to be a home run fit.

We wouldn't be hiring him "solely because he's a Tech man" - we'd be hiring him because he's a good coach. He's not my first choice but he's near the top solely because he's a good coach and a very smart guy. Don't understand why he would "have to be a home run fit". Being a Tech man shouldn't count for you, but it shouldn't count against you, either.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
We wouldn't be hiring him "solely because he's a Tech man" - we'd be hiring him because he's a good coach. He's not my first choice but he's near the top solely because he's a good coach and a very smart guy. Don't understand why he would "have to be a home run fit". Being a Tech man shouldn't count for you, but it shouldn't count against you, either.
We're pretty much on the same page, here. Probably didn't need that last bit on the end of the post. I agree that Goose is a good coach and worth at least a call.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
So I got
OC Dave Patenaude
RC Tashard Choice
WC Stan Hixon
As the coaches coming from Temple or already hired.

That leaves OL & TE coaching to be named.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's an interesting tidbit:

Patenaude and Temple's offense was able to outduel Kendal Briles and Houston this year AT Houston:

Why is that something of interest to us? Because Kendal Briles is widely regarded as one of the best offensive minds in football right now. That Patenaude was able to have his offense perform on that level speaks well for GT if he is indeed our next OC.

Boxscore for the game:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=401019527

For those sad that rushing won't be same, look at those rushing stats for Temple

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Patenaude and Temple's offense was able to outduel Kendal Briles and Houston this year AT Houston:

Why is that something of interest to us? Because Kendal Briles is widely regarded as one of the best offensive minds in football right now. That Patenaude was able to have his offense perform on that level speaks well for GT if he is indeed our next OC.

Boxscore for the game:

For those sad that rushing won't be same, look at those rushing stats for Temple

They'll be better. We'll have a viable runner at QB in the RPO plays. Not sure Temple had that.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Boxscore for the game:

Where is that interview of Collins you posted?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Where is that interview of Collins you posted?

About him coaching DBs? It's actually from the recruiting video:

It's at the 18:00 minute mark when he talks about Jordan Huff. His exact words are "I coach the secondary..."

He says it again when talking about Jeremiah Smith: "I'm back there coaching the DBs..."

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
About him coaching DBs? It's actually from the recruiting video:

It's at the 18:00 minute mark when he talks about Jordan Huff. His exact words are "I coach the secondary..."

He says it again when talking about Jeremiah Smith: "I'm back there coaching the DBs..."

Where he talks about abacks wanting to be slot receivers.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

Boxscore for the game:

Take a peek at Army score vs Houston in bowl game last week!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Take a peek at Army score vs Houston in bowl game last week!

Army was a machine that game. Very impressive job by Monken.

Not taking anything away from Army, but Houston is a sh!t show right now. Read about what's going on at Houston. There's a bunch of off the field stuff going on, and Kendal Briles was halfway out the door. Houston didn't want to be there.