OC Hire

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
you try pass protecting with those splits. I think our boys will surprise you with tighter splits.
This is not true. It more technique, stance and alignment. Look at the air raid teams out there and their line splits are the same or bigger than ours.
upload_2018-12-25_13-41-41.jpeg

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmm, my sarcasm-detector is blinking out of control. Or is that my carbon monoxide detector?

Hol' on, lemme go check an seekfvkvl llldjehhsjkl ....

Do you have this model? I just got it for Christmas, and I hope it’s a good one.

4bd05bb82d90311148c72a15b8a3f1c6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is not true. It more technique, stance and alignment. Look at the air raid teams out there and their line splits are the same or bigger than ours.
View attachment 4865
The space created by the wide gaps make the dl play straight on -verses shooting a gap.

The air raid is a pass first run as soon as safeties get way back offense. A good bb like benson is the perfect single back to take advantage of the huge daylight made by the dl guy that shoots a gap.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 4865
A couple of things. First, I agree with you. Technique is more important than anything.

However, our splits and stance were designed for drive blocking or cut blocking, not pass protection. The splits in the image you showed are wide, but the OL are not in a 3 point stance like we have been. I think our OL will be fine in pass protection. I think the splits will be closer (our guys won't have to move as much laterally to head off a defensive player), and our stances will not always be 3 pt. I feel pretty confident we're not going to an air-raid offense. We may see guard and tackle moves for some players depending on the offense, but I'm cautiously optimistic our guys will do fine.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of things. First, I agree with you. Technique is more important than anything.

However, our splits and stance were designed for drive blocking or cut blocking, not pass protection. The splits in the image you showed are wide, but the OL are not in a 3 point stance like we have been. I think our OL will be fine in pass protection. I think the splits will be closer (our guys won't have to move as much laterally to head off a defensive player), and our stances will not always be 3 pt. I feel pretty confident we're not going to an air-raid offense. We may see guard and tackle moves for some players depending on the offense, but I'm cautiously optimistic our guys will do fine.

We will still lack a lot of size initially especially against better comepetion. We have the smallest OL in the P5 by a wide margin

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Really? Per current roster Tech averages 292.8 lbs and 74.8". NCAA D1 average OL 76.45" and 300.75 lbs. I find it hard to believe Tech is the SMALLEST OL in P5. Adding 10-15 lbs is no big deal with proper S&C work
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/...ge-college-football-player-breaking-down-size

We're probably not the "smallest in p5", but we are relatively small. The average for FCS is 75.5", 291. We are 0.7" shorter and one pound heavier than that. And that's the average for ALL linemen, from freshmen through 5th year seniors (according to the LinePro website, 2016 numbers). We need more beef.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
We're probably not the "smallest in p5", but we are relatively small. The average for FCS is 75.5", 291. We are 0.7" shorter and one pound heavier than that. And that's the average for ALL linemen, from freshmen through 5th year seniors (according to the LinePro website, 2016 numbers). We need more beef.

The average I posted is from the NCAA and as I pointed out adding 10-15 lbs is not a big deal. There are other issues that concern me other than something that imo is not a problem

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The average I posted is from the NCAA and as I pointed out adding 10-15 lbs is not a big deal. There are other issues that concern me other than something that imo is not a problem

No, we're not that far away, but we need to get there. We need more beef (or more pushups and Wheaties). I do think the size of our DL is a bigger concern that the size of our OL, but we are deficient in both areas.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

An off season workout can remedy most of the weight concerns.