Notre Dame @ Georgia Tech 1/28/2017

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
That's always been my frustration. Bandwagon fans irritate the hell out of me. If you only go when the team is winning, you're not a fan.

The Bears had a 20+ year wait list for season tickets when I lived in Chicago. This was more than 10 years after the super bowl and they sucked every year. Similarly, try to get a jets season ticket. I haven't looked recently, but they usually have a multi year wait list to watch an awful team. Ditto the Redskins.

Part of it is being in Atlanta which is one of the lamest sports cities in America. The Braves didn't even sell out NLCS games. The Hawks play to half empty crowds. The Falcons have meh crowds until they start winning. A few years back , SI or TSN did a story on the best sports towns and we were singled out with Miami as the worst.

I think a lot of people would show up to see the Jackets no matter what if they lived in Atlanta, but many Tech fans like myself live hours away. I'm not making a 4 hour drive to see us lose by 20 to a crappy team. Sorry, but not happening. I'll watch the game and keep up with the guys but not worth the trip. I made the trip fairly often as a kid with my dad when we were winning under Hewitt. That's just a reality. People don't want to travel when they know a team is going to lose. That doesn't make me a bad or fair weather fan. It makes me normal.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
The last few games I have noticed more people in the stands with no tie to either team. They were there to check out all the hype they were hearing. If we can make that target market of implants from NY or another state into tech fans we would be in business! It would help with the fact a lot of alums don't live here anymore and cant make it to the game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tell me about it.

Before the season, I was disappointed that GT/Syracuse had a home-and-home this year as I worried 2 games vs GT would hurt 'Cuse's NCAA seed.

Now I'm worried wins vs. Syracuse won't help GT enough.

You must live in a weird reality when GT and 'Cuse play.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of people would show up to see the Jackets no matter what if they lived in Atlanta, but many Tech fans like myself live hours away. I'm not making a 4 hour drive to see us lose by 20 to a crappy team. Sorry, but not happening. I'll watch the game and keep up with the guys but not worth the trip. I made the trip fairly often as a kid with my dad when we were winning under Hewitt. That's just a reality. People don't want to travel when they know a team is going to lose. That doesn't make me a bad or fair weather fan. It makes me normal.

My bad.... I wasn't talking about folks who have to travel in. You drive from Charlotte or Greenville (or wherever) to see them play, I tip my hat to you. :) I was referring to the legion of "fans" that live in the Atlanta metro area and prefer to stay and home until the team is winning and then show up.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't like our chances in this game for the following reason.

IMO the teams we have lost have had the better coaches than the teams we have beaten. The exception to that may be Williams, but even he has a tendency at times to just let the talent take control. I think pretty highly of Bray as a coach and think it's likely that ND will be well coached and ready to play. We have a chance to win, especially at home, but I think it'll have to be a game where we get hot shooting instead of out preparing or out scheming the other team.

But hell, who knows with this team any more.

I wouldn't necessarily link it to better coaching but rather style of play. Imho ND plays a "tighter" style that is harder for us to exploit. UNC and FSU want to play uptempo and pressure on D. ND not so much. They will be much more efficient in half court offense and better at keeping us in front on D. I also think they will be less likely to be frustrated or confused with our switching defenses.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My bad.... I wasn't talking about folks who have to travel in. You drive from Charlotte or Greenville (or wherever) to see them play, I tip my hat to you. :) I was referring to the legion of "fans" that live in the Atlanta metro area and prefer to stay and home until the team is winning and then show up.

It's not showing up to watch winning. It's showing up to watch good and entertaining basketball. It doesn't make someone a bad fan for not showing up to watch bland and frustrating basketball.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'm here. Got my two jerseys. Unfortunately GTAA did their usual fantastic planning. They had a few XL and L and a ton of M and S. Oh well, I guess I can give mine to my kid

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For anyone wondering or disappointed, the jerseys appear to be like your basic basketball camp material i.e., nothing worth more than $10-$15. Didn't notice the brand. Still a cool promo and probably worth doing again given the response.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I like what CJP is doing off court almost as much as on court. The TV giveaway got students to turn out in a vigorous way for clemson. Jack jersey has people here early for a huge gane.
I think this game would've sold out without the jersey promo given the FSU win and 4-4 ACC but it helped get people here an hour before tip.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I like what CJP is doing off court almost as much as on court. The TV giveaway got students to turn out in a vigorous way for clemson. Jack jersey has people here early for a huge gane.
I think this game would've sold out without the jersey promo given the FSU win and 4-4 ACC but it helped get people here an hour before tip.
Exactly, game sells out either way. But enthusiasm from the students came from jersey giveaway. Tech students don't line up in 30 degree weather for GT basketball, ever. Very special opportunity today to make an impression on a new generation of GT basketball fans.

This game means more than just a W or L.