Notre Dame @ Georgia Tech 1/28/2017

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Cuse - let's have the problem that GT actually wins these games... At this point, we already have enough "high quality wins" for a bubble team. We need to increase the overall quantity of wins.

IMHO - We need to go 5-5 in the remaining of the conference regular season to make the dance bubble due to the weakness of the early schedule.

We have 5 games at home, and 5 away games.

I'd say the two ND games (home and away) and away @ Syracuse are the three most difficult games.

/

If we end the regular season at 18 -13, 9 - 9, and get at least a win in the ACC tourney to end at 19-14, then we'd definitely be in the NIT and a Bubble Team for the Big Dance.

I can honestly say that 60 days ago, I never would have thought I could realistically type the sentence above and have any real credibility. (not that I'm credible anyway... )

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't like our chances in this game for the following reason.

IMO the teams we have lost have had the better coaches than the teams we have beaten. The exception to that may be Williams, but even he has a tendency at times to just let the talent take control. I think pretty highly of Bray as a coach and think it's likely that ND will be well coached and ready to play. We have a chance to win, especially at home, but I think it'll have to be a game where we get hot shooting instead of out preparing or out scheming the other team.

But hell, who knows with this team any more.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cuse - let's have the problem that GT actually wins these games... At this point, we already have enough "high quality wins" for a bubble team. We need to increase the overall quantity of wins.

IMHO - We need to go 5-5 in the remaining of the conference regular season to make the dance bubble due to the weakness of the early schedule.

We have 5 games at home, and 5 away games.

I'd say the two ND games (home and away) and away @ Syracuse are the three most difficult games.

/
Agreed. Not meaning to imply GT winning is automatic. Barring injuries the home team should be favored in the GT/'Cuse games. 'Cuse is only a 2-pt dog at home vs. FSU tomorrow, for example o_O:confused:

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Yeah here's an idea, sell the jerseys... I'm sure some will pop up on eBay after the game, but think of the jersey sales of #21 Johnson football jerseys etc... You know like every other school has

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That's funny :rolleyes:

IMG_0868.JPG

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The alumni base in Georgia is about the same as it was when Cremins was taking us to the NCAAT every year. I was a season ticket holder in those days and the ACC home games were always sold out. The GT alums and sidewalk fans will support the team when they have success. Not many people want to sit in the stands while the team plays poorly game after game. By the same token, most people equate winning with playing well. We are seeing that with the ND sell out. I think the buzz is coming back to GT basketball. If we win today I will not be surprised to see the rest of our home games sold out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The alumni base in Georgia is about the same as it was when Cremins was taking us to the NCAAT every year. I was a season ticket holder in those days and the ACC home games were always sold out. The GT alums and sidewalk fans will support the team when they have success. Not many people want to sit in the stands while the team plays poorly game after game. By the same token, most people equate winning with playing well. We are seeing that with the ND sell out. I think the buzz is coming back to GT basketball. If we win today I will not be surprised to see the rest of home games sold out.

Yep. We just can't have a major let down. Games like vs vpi and uva are okay but not like vs Duke.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The alumni base in Georgia is about the same as it was when Cremins was taking us to the NCAAT every year. I was a season ticket holder in those days and the ACC home games were always sold out. The GT alums and sidewalk fans will support the team when they have success. Not many people want to sit in the stands while the team plays poorly game after game. By the same token, most people equate winning with playing well. We are seeing that with the ND sell out. I think the buzz is coming back to GT basketball. If we win today I will not be surprised to see the rest of our home games sold out.

That's always been my frustration. Bandwagon fans irritate the hell out of me. If you only go when the team is winning, you're not a fan.

The Bears had a 20+ year wait list for season tickets when I lived in Chicago. This was more than 10 years after the super bowl and they sucked every year. Similarly, try to get a jets season ticket. I haven't looked recently, but they usually have a multi year wait list to watch an awful team. Ditto the Redskins.

Part of it is being in Atlanta which is one of the lamest sports cities in America. The Braves didn't even sell out NLCS games. The Hawks play to half empty crowds. The Falcons have meh crowds until they start winning. A few years back , SI or TSN did a story on the best sports towns and we were singled out with Miami as the worst.