Notre Dame 2/26

alagold

Helluva Engineer
+1

Think about 6 months ago and what we expected from these guys. Does anyone think we are where we are without Qs contributions this year? He's made himself into an ACC player. Not a star, but few are in this league. I get caught up in the moment maybe worse than anyone but at the end of the day these guys could have wilted and submitted to all the negativity but instead they manned up and overcame a lot this year. We should be proud of these guys.

yep, he does a variety of things--he rebs, assists, plays long arm defense and when on,scores and even a 3 pt ,which makes him VERY valuable on this team.
Is he great? nope --but I haven't seen anyone that replaces him which may be our biggest problem next yr. Hmmmm

gtuberfan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are very much in the running for some high quality replacements so i dont think thatll be an issue...
Yes its frustrating when the deep ball isnt going in the basket for him BUT i very much appreciate the little things he does, his defense, and most of all his effort. Not to mention the sizeable step forward hes made in development from last year

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
yep, he does a variety of things--he rebs, assists, plays long arm defense and when on,scores and even a 3 pt ,which makes him VERY valuable on this team.
Is he great? nope --but I haven't seen anyone that replaces him which may be our biggest problem next yr. Hmmmm

I see it.

A-CMatt putts in the work on D
B-CGB
C-Possible Grad Xfers
D-Blumbergs, Walker, Tucker

They aren't as tall as Q but the emphasis on guard rebounding may help.

I see a lineup of

Moore Alvarado Jax JOk Lammers

Interchange CGB or CMatt with any perimeter player for a bit more size. CJP has been reported to prefer a two PG system and a 4 out system. Honestly If we can get someone a bit more fleet of foot than Q we are looking at a quicker moving offense with better cuts and possibly more chaos. If CMatt can play D he's also a better shooter on Offense but you can't give up 20 to your guy on the other end if your only going to give 8-10.

It's there.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Q has improved a lot from last year. He has become a solid rebounder and no longer a liability of defense. I wouldn't say he is a good defender, I recall multiple times he was late or lazy with his close outs (not the only one btw). When he is shooting the ball well, we win, it's simple. I know he has been banged up but I wish he could be knocking down shots more consistently. We would definitely have a few more W's.

Sidenote: if anyone cares, I agree with some points from both arguments between silk and dtm

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah if you don't think Q is a huge liability, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. It has been a thorough pain watching him game after game, year after year, this year included. He just looks a full level below everyone else on the floor, both physically and mentally.

That being said I always try to find the good, so I fully agree he hustles, puts in effort, and rebounds well. I'll leave it at that.

Maybe you guys should listen to Coach speak a little more often. He has said over and over again how important Q has been for us this season.

He's done all the little things. He did have a bad game on Sunday, but he's clearly one of our best players and our leader.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you guys should listen to Coach speak a little more often. He has said over and over again how important Q has been for us this season.

He's done all the little things. He did have a bad game on Sunday, but he's clearly one of our best players and our leader.

7th in the ACC in rebounding
22nd in blocks
27th in steals
40th in assists

Rebounding is incredible given how lanky he is and the fact that he's not the main rebounder on the team

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

Thought we were done with this argument but... we agree hes one of our better players but thats not saying much after JO, Tadric, and Slammers. Do you expect Coach to say anything else? Hes not going to bad mouth a senior whos trying his hardest despite lack of talent. And than on the stats a couple posts below I give him credit on his rebounding but hes probably getting something like 37-38 min a game

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
No one likes facts, bro...:)
Haha 3pt% 30%.....ACC rank 61st out of 62 who have shot enough to qualify.....facts. Rlly i feel bad having to keep this going I just wanted to vent after the game but yaull keep trying to tell me how great he is

crut

Helluva Engineer
7th in the ACC in rebounding
22nd in blocks
27th in steals
40th in assists

Rebounding is incredible given how lanky he is and the fact that he's not the main rebounder on the team

Wait what. These stats, outside of the rebounding which again he is clearly solid at, are hardly impressive. I'd actually argue it supports the liability argument given how many minutes he plays.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Haha 3pt% 30%.....ACC rank 61st out of 62 who have shot enough to qualify.....facts. Rlly i feel bad having to keep this going I just wanted to vent after the game but yaull keep trying to tell me how great he is

Um, no one has referred to Q as "great" player other than maybe certain qualities he may exhibit on the floor from time to time...but, it's pretty ignorant to call Q "terrible". We get it, you were disappointed in the loss and you let your mouth run. That's not a big deal as our emotions get the best of us from time to time, but to keep running it is where you're taking it too far.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Um, no one has referred to Q as "great" player other than maybe certain qualities he may exhibit on the floor from time to time...but, it's pretty ignorant to call Q "terrible". We get it, you were disappointed in the loss and you let your mouth run. That's not a big deal as our emotions get the best of us from time to time, but to keep running it is where you're taking it too far.
I called him terrible in the very first post last night and already said i shouldnt of said that and im not running my mouth, a couple of yaull just keep coming at me saying hes really good and i dont watch the games so im supporting my argument bc its very clear i know what im talking about. But lets just drop the argument we know where both sides stand. We can settle it in some 1 on 1 lol any takers?

crut

Helluva Engineer
Stephens other stats:

TO/game: 2.0 (23rd in ACC - 5th among non-guards)
FG%: .352 (not in top 40 in ACC)
3PT FG%: .309 (not in top 40 in ACC)
Mins Played: 32.7 (15th in ACC)

But above all that, he just kills offensive game flow. He can't move with the ball well at all, he's a poor shooter, he's below average in offensive rebounding among forwards in the ACC (1.31/game). Again, I love his effort, and we don't have anyone better to replace him for PT, but you guys don't need to try to prop him up. Outside of defensive rebounding, he just doesn't offer much.

Here's to hoping he finds his touch in the ACCT and leads GT to some wins!

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Stephens other stats:

TO/game: 2.0 (23rd in ACC - 5th among non-guards)
FG%: .352 (not in top 40 in ACC)
3PT FG%: .309 (not in top 40 in ACC)
Mins Played: 32.7 (15th in ACC)

But above all that, he just kills offensive game flow. He can't move with the ball well at all, he's a poor shooter, he's one of the worst offensive rebounding forwards in the ACC (1.31/game). Again, I love his effort, and we don't have anyone better to replace him for PT, but you guys don't need to try to prop him up. Outside of defensive rebounding, he just doesn't offer much.

Here's to hoping he finds his touch in the ACCT and leads GT to some wins!
FACTS

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know why but I get the feeling he's going to transfer after the season ends. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I've had that same feeling. A lot has been made about CJP's reactions when CMatt misses a defensive assignment. I hope CMatt is up to the challenge to improve. at the same time, he could be looking at incoming recruits and wonder where he might fit in on the depth chart going forward.

Last edited: