Notre Dame 2/26

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Im big fan of Tadric, okogie, and Slammy, and than the other guys are what they are I dont rlly expect anything from them. The thing i think that is so frustrating to me about Stephens is that if he could make shots it would help us so much and open things up for the big 3. Having someone who is a threat and can spread the floor for everyone else would be huge. Hes rlly the only guy who could potentially give us that but thats not his fault. End of my stephens rant

LibertyTurns

Banned
But you're missing my point that he he's made important contributions this year. Also, under no circumstances should any of us be ****ting on our players by calling them terrible players unless we can reveal that we've done more at the collegiate level than they have. Can they have terrible games that will frustrate us at times? Yeah. Are they terrible players when they've earned a full scholarship to play in the ACC? No.
I guess I don't get it. We've allegedly got the worst roster of any team in the ACC yet we're 7-9. Pastner's either the best coach in the history of the league or these guys don't suck as much as everyone seems to think.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Stephens has been a good player for us this year. He's far exceeded anything I expected of him. Does he have holes in his games I wish he would get better at? Yes, but he's probably been one of our better players this year. He's just inconsistent...like everyone else on our team.

The thing with Q is that he needs to probably start hot. When he does, he plays with a LOT of confidence. When he misses his first few shots, it seems like he shies away from pulling the trigger on open shots.

He's had a rough go of it the past few games, but he's played big in other games. Let's not crap on him for our own expectations of what he should be.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hes gotten some rebounds and played a little defense but lets be real. Hes obviously not a terrible basketball player compared to most people but if were being honest we can easily upgrade from him. And since you brought it up I had a great collegiate career and the jumper is on point. Thats why im always talking about shooting bc i know what im talking about. But sorry I was mean to ya boy Stephens. Offensively hes out there to spread the floor and shoot but me and you both know hes broke. Theres rlly no other way to put it. Im glad he trys hard and hustles and im sure hes a great guy.

This season he actually hasn't been out there to spread the floor. It wasn't until he hurt his ankle that he's stayed out on the wing at all this season. He really mixed it up in the paint until that point and did more of his scoring on the interior.

After being recruited as a shooter, I absolutely agree he never developed as such under BG (if there were more examples of development, he'd still be here). This season, Q was asked to totally change up how he played & he did as asked, contributing plenty of times.

If you're still telling me he's out there to spread the floor & shoot, then I question if you've paid attention this season because let's be really real here. As of this moment, we've got nobody that can be designated to do so. Okogie cans wide open, set shot 3s when available. Q has his few hot games each season, but that's been a running story line for 4 years. Tadric is the king of streakiness, but has put up way more points this year overall because he's showing a varied offensive game, the development of which should have began his FR year (thanks again BG). Heath probably takes too few 3s.

None of these kids is a designated shooter from range. I think Okogie will improve to a point he can present that threat because he works too hard not to. Beyond that, there's a reason CJP gave his assistants the mandate to get him shooters/scorers. It's why we'll move to a 4-out set long term. Today & yesterday, we've had none of that available to us in recent years, except for Adam Smith last year, who you can argue we should have gone balls out to land when he transferred from UNCW instead of letting him detour through VT.

The bottom line is that I won't tolerate any one ever rating our players as terrible. You want to complain about a given miscue or game? Sure. Have at it. I was wondering WTF a few times myself. Do I think we upgrade over Q and a few other kids over the course of time? Absolutely. CJP is basically saying it without naming names.

Should any of us ever say our players are terrible or that they suck or that they're ****ty when they're they're out there leaving every last bit on the court and having a season that's far exceeded any of our expectations in our wildest dreams? Not once. Not ever.

Whether we like it or not, Q wears the white & gold. He's not my boy, he's all our boy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
This season he actually hasn't been out there to spread the floor. It wasn't until he hurt his ankle that he's stayed out on the wing at all this season. He really mixed it up in the paint until that point and did more of his scoring on the interior.

After being recruited as a shooter, I absolutely agree he never developed as such under BG (if there were more examples of development, he'd still be here). This season, Q was asked to totally change up how he played & he did as asked, contributing plenty of times.

If you're still telling me he's out there to spread the floor & shoot, then I question if you've paid attention this season because let's be really real here. As of this moment, we've got nobody that can be designated to do so. Okogie cans wide open, set shot 3s when available. Q has his few hot games each season, but that's been a running story line for 4 years. Tadric is the king of streakiness, but has put up way more points this year overall because he's showing a varied offensive game, the development of which should have began his FR year (thanks again BG). Heath probably takes too few 3s.

None of these kids is a designated shooter from range. I think Okogie will improve to a point he can present that threat because he works too hard not to. Beyond that, there's a reason CJP gave his assistants the mandate to get him shooters/scorers. It's why we'll move to a 4-out set long term. Today & yesterday, we've had none of that available to us in recent years, except for Adam Smith last year, who you can argue we should have gone balls out to land when he transferred from UNCW instead of letting him detour through VT.

The bottom line is that I won't tolerate any one ever rating our players as terrible. You want to complain about a given miscue or game? Sure. Have at it. I was wondering WTF a few times myself. Do I think we upgrade over Q and a few other kids over the course of time? Absolutely. CJP is basically saying it without naming names.

Should any of us ever say our players are terrible or that they suck or that they're ****ty when they're they're out there leaving every last bit on the court and having a season that's far exceeded any of our expectations in our wildest dreams? Not once. Not ever.

Whether we like it or not, Q wears the white & gold. He's not my boy, he's all our boy.

+1

Think about 6 months ago and what we expected from these guys. Does anyone think we are where we are without Qs contributions this year? He's made himself into an ACC player. Not a star, but few are in this league. I get caught up in the moment maybe worse than anyone but at the end of the day these guys could have wilted and submitted to all the negativity but instead they manned up and overcame a lot this year. We should be proud of these guys.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

I lost you at Stephens does most of his scoring in the paint

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
We only lost by 4 points to a Top 25 team on their home court. I agree with CJP that our margin of error is zero. Our defense keeps us in the games but we can't miss the layups and FTs.
While I'm disappointed we lost I am still very pleased with the season.

Let's win Tuesday because CJP doesn't lose 3 games in a row!

Deleted member 2897

These guys aren't NBA players, they're not making millions, they're not adults out of college. They are Georgia Tech students, who Monday through Friday have to deal with arrogant jerk professors (yes I'm exaggerating and being over emotional...but just trying to make a general point), on top of holding down a full time 40 hour a week job which does not pay anything (being a college athlete). When I was at Tech, there was no way I could have carved 40 hours into my schedule on top of school and having any sort of life. I think its okay to criticize all kinds of things, but lets not get personal if we can. The players completely embraced a new coach and coaching staff with a completely different style of play and playbook. That's not easy to do. These coaches completely dedicated themselves to doing the best they could despite knowing the team might end up only winning 5-8 games. And look at the product they put on the court. Its been a long time since we've had a team that every time they stepped on the court we knew they had a chance to win. And I think they've gotten good enough their margin isn't zero anymore. At NC State our margin of error was massive. We lost by 2 points despite missing 10 free throws, giving up 10 second chance points, and missing 12 layups. That's a massive margin. Kudos to all these guys are doing to represent Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Still, on the dunk attempt, Josh has got to be stronger around the rim. There's no reason he shouldn't have broken Beachem's arm on the rim.

I was watching highlights of Dwayne Wade and Michael Jordan last night because it happened to be a video that was "liked" by buddy of mine on Facebook.

One of the things I noticed was they both went to the hoop with bad intentions looking to break someone's wrist if they dared to try and block them. They were not going to the rim looking for contact, they went with the intention of finishing at the rim...always at full speed, always without a thought of looking to get fouled. When they got fouled, it was just a byproduct of a scoring chance.

THAT is what Okogie needs to do. It's what I said in another thread. He gets to the rim so easily, and he's got great hops...if someone fouls you, they foul you...if someone blocks you, they block you. With his speed and ability, more times than not he should easily get the bucket and get the foul. If the defender gets his arms mangled because they dared to put their hand up to block him, hey, the ACC is on notice.

Deleted member 2897

I was watching highlights of Dwayne Wade and Michael Jordan last night because it happened to be a video that was "liked" by buddy of mine on Facebook.

One of the things I noticed was they both went to the hoop with bad intentions looking to break someone's wrist if they dared to try and block them. They were not going to the rim looking for contact, they went with the intention of finishing at the rim...always at full speed, always without a thought of looking to get fouled. When they got fouled, it was just a byproduct of a scoring chance.

THAT is what Okogie needs to do. It's what I said in another thread. He gets to the rim so easily, and he's got great hops...if someone fouls you, they foul you...if someone blocks you, they block you. With his speed and ability, more times than not he should easily get the bucket and get the foul. If the defender gets his arms mangled because they dared to put their hand up to block him, hey, the ACC is on notice.

This was very well said. By the very nature of what a layup is - letting go of the ball - you're always giving someone else the chance to block or disrupt it. Even if we miss a lot of dunk attempts, dunks will always have a higher make% and foul% than layups will.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I went to check out some of the rundown mills and dope cafes. I have only been there once for a bball tourny at Berry but we were not allowed to leave campus lol.
Lmao, yeah that's a pretty accurate description. There's a lot to do at Berry though, It's the largest Campus in the world. Speaking of Bball my first ever basket was scored in the Cage (Main Gym) in 8th grade.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, that kind of proves my point you haven't paid attention this year.

You should go ahead and lose me entirely by clicking the ignore button next to my name.
Nah i dont get upset bc what you say on here. Im talking strictly offensively not defensive and rebounding purposes. Its funny someone has a differing opinion than you they should get lost and ignore you. Were all cheerin for the same team buddy. So whats Stephens roll on offense if hes not a shooter? Is he creating making plays for others? No he can hardly dribble. Hes out there to shoot and if you dont agree look at his feild goal attempts and 3pfg attempts

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Another note on the game - a really low basketball IQ play at the end by Tadric to foul Farrell. Yes, he got beat, and in a lot of other circumstances I may be able to understand the rationale, but with 10 seconds left on the shot clock and 30 feet away from the basket in a one possession game.. Just a really painful thing to watch.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Funny thing is the only guy I have any confidence in actually making a wide open 3 is Okogie yet he never shoots them. He’s a strange player sometimes. Doesn’t shoot the 3 and drives to the basket trying to get fouled instead of making the shot. He has so much potential just bottled up by playing so passive. Are we sure he isn’t MGH’s twin brother?