Notre Dame 2/26

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Another note on the game - a really low basketball IQ play at the end by Tadric to foul Farrell. Yes, he got beat, and in a lot of other circumstances I may be able to understand the rationale, but with 10 seconds left on the shot clock and 30 feet away from the basket in a one possession game.. Just a really painful thing to watch.

Oh man, that hurt to see. The announcers just said that we didn't have to foul and we'd exhibited tremendous restraint just a play before. Tadric seemed to be the only one unaware. I didn't see him, but the broadcast said CPast was not pleased.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Funny thing is the only guy I have any confidence in actually making a wide open 3 is Okogie yet he never shoots them. He’s a strange player sometimes. Doesn’t shoot the 3 and drives to the basket trying to get fouled instead of making the shot. He has so much potential just bottled up by playing so passive. Are we sure he isn’t MGH’s twin brother?
Agree JO is our best 3 pt shooter but i think hes just a more natural slasher bc thats what he resorts too. He really only shoots the 3 ball if hes got a very clean look. He also has a really nice mid range game that he doesnt go to much. I really love my dwade comparison. Although dwade played 3 years in college and JO is a freshman so obviously JO has to keep improving but love his game. Also I think JO is already better scorer than MGH except for his senior year but is way ahead in his offensive repertoire but MGH was better passer better court vision.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nah i dont get upset bc what you say on here. Im talking strictly offensively not defensive and rebounding purposes. Its funny someone has a differing opinion than you they should get lost and ignore you. Were all cheerin for the same team buddy. So whats Stephens roll on offense if hes not a shooter? Is he creating making plays for others? No he can hardly dribble. Hes out there to shoot and if you dont agree look at his feild goal attempts and 3pfg attempts

My point from the jump is that we are rooting for this team, so you don't trash a kid by saying he's terrible, which you explicitly did with Stephens.

Looking at Stephens' overall stats & game log, neither one of us is gonna be right. 53% of his shots have been from 3, 53% of his makes have been from inside 3. He's shot 40% or better from 3 in 9 of 28 games he's played (excluding BC). He shot below 40% from 3 in 9 wins, including UNC, Cuse, ND, & Clemson, where he made big contributions in different ways.

He may have the confidence to take the open 3 and I think he's generally taken good shots from 3, but those stats don't tell me he's gonna spread the floor. If he did, teams wouldn't clog the middle against us as much as they do.

Meanwhile, he's doubled his rebounding, and seen improvement in other stats across the board.

He's changed his game entirely this season and been a big contributor towards our results. Sometimes, it's scoring, sometimes, it's not. No times should we be calling him terrible.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
My point from the jump is that we are rooting for this team, so you don't trash a kid by saying he's terrible, which you explicitly did with Stephens.

Looking at Stephens' overall stats & game log, neither one of us is gonna be right. 53% of his shots have been from 3, 53% of his makes have been from inside 3. He's shot 40% or better from 3 in 9 of 28 games he's played (excluding BC). He shot below 40% from 3 in 9 wins, including UNC, Cuse, ND, & Clemson, where he made big contributions in different ways.

He may have the confidence to take the open 3 and I think he's generally taken good shots from 3, but those stats don't tell me he's gonna spread the floor. If he did, teams wouldn't clog the middle against us as much as they do.

Meanwhile, he's doubled his rebounding, and seen improvement in other stats across the board.

He's changed his game entirely this season and been a big contributor towards our results. Sometimes, it's scoring, sometimes, it's not. No times should we be calling him terrible.
Ok maybe shouldnt of called him terrible. But thats what im saying. Im not saying he IS spreading the floor. Hes not bc he doesnt make his 3's. im saying if he could make them more consistantly it would really help spread the floor which would be huge for this team. Its not like Heath and Heyward where the other team is daring them to shoot. Other teams at least guard Stephens to the 3pt line bc theres no threat of him to make a play unless its catch and shoot. But you saying he doesnt spread the floor i think is agreeing with me, he doesnt stretch the floor bc he shoots it as such a low percentage. I agree he rebounds amd defends way better this year, but thats never what i was talking about.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok maybe shouldnt of called him terrible. But thats what im saying. Im not saying he IS spreading the floor. Hes not bc he doesnt make his 3's. im saying if he could make them more consistantly it would really help spread the floor which would be huge for this team. Its not like Heath and Heyward where the other team is daring them to shoot. Other teams at least guard Stephens to the 3pt line bc theres no threat of him to make a play unless its catch and shoot. But you saying he doesnt spread the floor i think is agreeing with me, he doesnt stretch the floor bc he shoots it as such a low percentage. I agree he rebounds amd defends way better this year, but thats never what i was talking about.

Your original comments put forth 2 ideas I disagreed with.

1) He was terrible. That will trigger me every time from any one on this board.

2) That he's supposed to be the shooter to spread the floor. That was how I read it and what I refuted. Previous years, Q primarily sat on the perimeter looking to put up shots from range. Where I believe we differed is that you believe his role is to spread the floor and he's just not doing it, whereas I believe his role has changed this year to do dirty work and if he can nail 3s, then that's a bonus.

We do agree that he doesn't hit 3s enough to stretch the floor consistently and it's an area of focus for the staff to upgrade in recruiting.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I havent looked at the box scores but I would think in our best games Offensively Q probably shot decently from behind the arc. And its only his role bc theres no one else that can do it. Call it a stretch 4 if you want. And he has a different role like you say this year bc hes being asked to play the 4 where prior hes been at the 3.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Yeah if you don't think Q is a huge liability, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. It has been a thorough pain watching him game after game, year after year, this year included. He just looks a full level below everyone else on the floor, both physically and mentally.

That being said I always try to find the good, so I fully agree he hustles, puts in effort, and rebounds well. I'll leave it at that.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Another note on the game - a really low basketball IQ play at the end by Tadric to foul Farrell. Yes, he got beat, and in a lot of other circumstances I may be able to understand the rationale, but with 10 seconds left on the shot clock and 30 feet away from the basket in a one possession game.. Just a really painful thing to watch.

It was awful...really bad...but I'm not sure we were going to hit a three to tie anyways

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We have 2 players (Ben and JoshO) who are reliable every game ACC players. I don't think many of us are surprised by this.

The flip side of this is that we are playing 4+,5+ guys who are not. As a result, we can find multiple games for each of them where they can be labeled liabilities.

However, we can also find multiple games where each was a major contributor to the win.

We have a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. We just beat a top 25 team in the second half. Let's enjoy the surprise of the season without harping on our weaknesses.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Funny thing is the only guy I have any confidence in actually making a wide open 3 is Okogie yet he never shoots them. He’s a strange player sometimes. Doesn’t shoot the 3 and drives to the basket trying to get fouled instead of making the shot. He has so much potential just bottled up by playing so passive. Are we sure he isn’t MGH’s twin brother?
He's a freshman. I think he's doing alright. Hopefully we have him for a couple more years and he improves every year.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
He's a freshman. I think he's doing alright. Hopefully we have him for a couple more years and he improves every year.

MGH didn't attack the basket as much (or have nearly as much success doing so) as Okogie early in his career...don't get me wrong, it's not like he was a spot shooter, but Okogie is a lot quicker and a bit more aggressive than MGH was as a freshman. He's got a chance to be really good in the next few years

crut

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he can be considered a huge liability when you consider who would replace him in the lineup if he were to miss an extended stretch.

I agree with the fact that he is the best option given the roster, but I still consider him a major liability.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
MGH didn't attack the basket as much (or have nearly as much success doing so) as Okogie early in his career...don't get me wrong, it's not like he was a spot shooter, but Okogie is a lot quicker and a bit more aggressive than MGH was as a freshman. He's got a chance to be really good in the next few years

To elaborate a bit more...I'd say Okogie is about as aggressive right now as MGH was as a Senior (maybe not quite...but pretty darn close)...that bodes well for us.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
To elaborate a bit more...I'd say Okogie is about as aggressive right now as MGH was as a Senior (maybe not quite...but pretty darn close)...that bodes well for us.
If we're doing Josh O v. MGH comparisons, we have to talk about defense too. And that one's not even close, at least right now.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If we're doing Josh O v. MGH comparisons, we have to talk about defense too. And that one's not even close, at least right now.

Sure, but there aren't many freshmen anywhere that are good defenders...nor can many score like already can. Defense tends to be something that comes with experience. He's got the tools to be an incredible player

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
"I don't think he can be considered a huge liability when you consider who would replace him in the lineup if he were to miss an extended stretch."

That shows you two-fold how pathetic BG's recruiting was.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
These guys aren't NBA players, they're not making millions, they're not adults out of college. They are Georgia Tech students, who Monday through Friday have to deal with arrogant jerk professors (yes I'm exaggerating and being over emotional...but just trying to make a general point), on top of holding down a full time 40 hour a week job which does not pay anything (being a college athlete). When I was at Tech, there was no way I could have carved 40 hours into my schedule on top of school and having any sort of life. I think its okay to criticize all kinds of things, but lets not get personal if we can. The players completely embraced a new coach and coaching staff with a completely different style of play and playbook. That's not easy to do. These coaches completely dedicated themselves to doing the best they could despite knowing the team might end up only winning 5-8 games. And look at the product they put on the court. Its been a long time since we've had a team that every time they stepped on the court we knew they had a chance to win. And I think they've gotten good enough their margin isn't zero anymore. At NC State our margin of error was massive. We lost by 2 points despite missing 10 free throws, giving up 10 second chance points, and missing 12 layups. That's a massive margin. Kudos to all these guys are doing to represent Tech.
And Lammers is an ME. How do you major in ME and play basketball? Oh, BTW, he's also making damn good grades.

We're disappointed when the team loses, but the impact on us is minute.