Notre Dame 2/26

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Defense is hard work with little glory. Scoring points is much easier if you have a decent outside shot. But, defense wins games. I have had the feeling all season that Mathews doesn't like the hard work required for effective defense. I can understand if he is also working his tail off in class that this may be more than he wanted.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thought we were done with this argument but... we agree hes one of our better players but thats not saying much after JO, Tadric, and Slammers. Do you expect Coach to say anything else? Hes not going to bad mouth a senior whos trying his hardest despite lack of talent. And than on the stats a couple posts below I give him credit on his rebounding but hes probably getting something like 37-38 min a game

A. Its not an argument, you are just blowing hot air about how he cannot score. Basketball is played on both ends of the court, there is more than just offense.
B. Coach never said that he was great, but he did say that he was extremely valuable to our team. Good enough for me.
C. You're right, he's getting heavy minutes because he is one of our best players. Pretty clear.

If your argument is that the roster is void of 5 stars or studs, then no one will argue with you, but you and your cohort are trashing a kid that has given us everything.

His Bball IQ is very high, he plays very good D, rebounds at a high clip. That's not a terrible player or someone that doesn't belong at this level.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I called him terrible in the very first post last night and already said i shouldnt of said that and im not running my mouth, a couple of yaull just keep coming at me saying hes really good and i dont watch the games so im supporting my argument bc its very clear i know what im talking about. But lets just drop the argument we know where both sides stand. We can settle it in some 1 on 1 lol any takers?
I'm in. Nothing to do with this thread. I just need to get out and hoop more. If we get 10 even better. Or let's convince CJP to run an adult b'ball camp. I hope Q is camp counselor ;)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
A

His Bball IQ is very high

You had me man. Foam finger was on, gold colored glasses I was in total meatball mode...... then you arrived here. I have to disagree. This is probably my biggest gripe with both he and Heath. As our seniors they do some things that result in 3-7 seconds of blind white fury

But, we also aren't winning without either of them

crut

Helluva Engineer
His Bball IQ is very high, he plays very good D, rebounds at a high clip. That's not a terrible player or someone that doesn't belong at this level.

LOLWUT.jpg

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wait what. These stats, outside of the rebounding which again he is clearly solid at, are hardly impressive. I'd actually argue it supports the liability argument given how many minutes he plays.
There are 90 starters + 6th men in the ACC. Some of those numbers look better when you consider many did not consider him an ACC caliber player (not just starter, but ACC caliber player) before the season started. No doubt he has weaknesses to his game. From what I've observed, he appears to provide some of that Senior Leadership on the court.

In my opinion, his play is much improved this year. However, I'd say that about Lammers, Jackson, Heath and Heyward too. I think CJP has these guys playing well above where they were under CBG. I don't know if that's scheme, heart or technique, but on a team that screamed no ACC talent, they've shown up with ACC talent.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There are 90 starters + 6th men in the ACC. Some of those numbers look better when you consider many did not consider him an ACC caliber player (not just starter, but ACC caliber player) before the season started. No doubt he has weaknesses to his game. From what I've observed, he appears to provide some of that Senior Leadership on the court.

In my opinion, his play is much improved this year. However, I'd say that about Lammers, Jackson, Heath and Heyward too. I think CJP has these guys playing well above where they were under CBG. I don't know if that's scheme, heart or technique, but on a team that screamed no ACC talent, they've shown up with ACC talent.

Also tied for 5th most double-doubles in the ACC. Another fact.

Defense is hard work with little glory. Scoring points is much easier if you have a decent outside shot. But, defense wins games. I have had the feeling all season that Mathews doesn't like the hard work required for effective defense. I can understand if he is also working his tail off in class that this may be more than he wanted.
And this points out to me just how much Corey Heyward has worked to become a vital part of this team. He IS content with playing defense and seldom scoring, and he's good enough at it to start.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This Q hate reflects badly on this forum. Thankfully it isn't in a recruiting thread. I wish it would cease.

What would you want for your son? Be a good enough player to start on an ACC team that can beat some of the best teams in the country? Graduate from Tech in four years? Be a valuable citizen on campus and beyond? Treat his professors and coaches with respect? Play through tough injuries even when things aren't going well? Have a flair for living that attracts others in a positive manner? Be a good teammate?

What about all of those?

Deleted member 2897

This Q hate reflects badly on this forum. Thankfully it isn't in a recruiting thread. I wish it would cease.

What would you want for your son? Be a good enough player to start on an ACC team that can beat some of the best teams in the country? Graduate from Tech in four years? Be a valuable citizen on campus and beyond? Treat his professors and coaches with respect? Play through tough injuries even when things aren't going well? Have a flair for living that attracts others in a positive manner? Be a good teammate?

What about all of those?

I just mashed the Like button so hard I just broke my computer mouse. And it was worth it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

What about all of those?

First off I want to say that I disagree with those calling Q a bad player. He's a solid role player who is asked to do more than he should because of the composition of the team, and that has led to him making more mistakes than he otherwise would trying to fill a role that he shouldn't be in the first place. If we are where we hope to be in a few years with recruiting, there would still be a place for a guy like Q. Not nearly as much time on the court, but a place nonetheless.

That being said, I think people get far too offended when somebody criticizes a player. In almost all circumstances the criticism is in relation to other ACC/high major players. That isn't attacking their character, or even that big of an insult to say someone isn't a good ACC player. We have several guys on scholarship who would probably be really good players at lower levels. But in the context of ACC players, they aren't good players. I don't think they need to be pointed out, but we can probably all guess who they are. For the record, once again, I would not include Stephens in that list.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe we will some day look back at our 2017 team and see a group of guys who never belonged on an ACC court, but they are a very competitive team right now. We have beaten three teams ranked in the top 25. To say a guy averaging almost 10 points and 8 rebounds is not a good ACC player is hogwash. Especially in a season of exceptionally good ACC teams.