North Carolina Postgame

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The opening kickoff our guy flies down the field, has a clear tackle and instead of breaking down and making the tackle he flies by the ball carrier and tackles turf. This stuff drives me nuts and indicates a lack of coaching or player acumen. I’ve coached 6th graders who knew to break down and get balanced. We do this constantly.
5th year senior that missed the tackle.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Seeing us move the ball and score in second half was encouraging. Graham developing is exciting. Unc ran close to 100 plays, defense was worn down after first quarter. If our office played well in first half defense would have been spared many snaps and would have been worn out. Hopefully offense will continue to improve, which will help the defense. I feel much better tonight that I did the last few weeks. Relieved we have a qb1.
The defense had multiple great chances to get off the field all by themselves.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Do not talk bad about the SAs... I was warned a few weeks ago by the GT SWARM ADMINS...

However the game was never close and Coach Collins is looking more like Bill Lewis every day.. UNC had a true freshman making his 6th start torch us for 300 plus yards and 4 TDs.... Meanwhile we have a Redshirt Freshman making his first start becuase our staff kept the QB Comp going into the Season... Wonder how the game (Or Season) would have gone had the coaching staff picked a QB before the season and allowed him to get better and woud have been making his 5th start yesterday... Bill Lewis Era Part II has begun!

Mack Brown ABOVE THE LINE... Coach Collins BELOW THE LINE!

Off topic but it is going to be fun watching you (and your brethren) post the next 3 and 1/2 years. This tip will help you survive if you pay attention. Those that know and understand FB know that is generally won and lost on the LOS (that is short hand for line of scrimmage, the imaginary line that extends to either sideline from the place where the ball is spotted). The lineman (i.e. those who play on the aforementioned line) dictate the winners and losers of the game. Whichever team (offensive or defense) that controls the LOS by physical superiority, technique or both gets to impose their will on the other team. Go back and watch the game from yesterday. Don't look at the QB's, the band or the cheerleaders. Watch what one announcer (Keith Jackson, may he RIP) called the big uglies on the los. Look at theirs closely and their matchups with ours. If you do this, I firmly believe that you will acquire some zen or inner peace that will allow the next 3 or 4 years to unfold a little more gracefully. Honestly. And if you want to share this with your bitching and moaning companions, feel free to forward, plagiarize or use in any way you see fit. Peace brother. You deserve it.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Off topic but it is going to be fun watching you (and your brethren) post the next 3 and 1/2 years. This tip will help you survive if you pay attention. Those that know and understand FB know that is generally won and lost on the LOS (that is short hand for line of scrimmage, the imaginary line that extends to either sideline from the place where the ball is spotted). The lineman (i.e. those who play on the aforementioned line) dictate the winners and losers of the game. Whichever team (offensive or defense) that controls the LOS by physical superiority, technique or both gets to impose their will on the other team. Go back and watch the game from yesterday. Don't look at the QB's, the band or the cheerleaders. Watch what one announcer (Keith Jackson, may he RIP) called the big uglies on the los. Look at theirs closely and their matchups with ours. If you do this, I firmly believe that you will acquire some zen or inner peace that will allow the next 3 or 4 years to unfold a little more gracefully. Honestly. And if you want to share this with your bitching and moaning companions, feel free to forward, plagiarize or use in any way you see fit. Peace brother. You deserve it.
Like x 10.

slugboy

Staff member
UNC has a mixed bag at receiver. They have fast and strong players with a height advantage. Sometimes that works to their advantage. There were times they took a play off and the ball went past them, or they just dropped the ball.

UNCs offensive line won the game for them. They could have run for a lot more yards. Some of our defenders had bursts of individual excellence where they tackled a player in the backfield or after a short run, but often UNC could use their weight and strength advantage to push for a 10 yard run. They had all day to throw too.

If UNC had a lesser QB, we could have focused on taking away the run. They’ve got a talented QB, and that made it more difficult for our defense

I saw so many opportunities for interceptions, but our DBs were run all over the place; there’s only so much time you can sprint full speed.

On offense, I like our running backs. They have speed, they can cut, they have some strength. Graham is still throwing to the receiver in tight triple coverage. He’s got a gun, though. I was glad to see us hitting a few slants

On the lines, we should get a little better during the year. Another year of off season conditioning and Spring ball will help a lot, as will bringing in new players—we’re thin there. It takes time to get a player to a good solid 300+ pound player who can move. Others have noted missed assignments, and I’m not going into more detail there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
What has amazed me, more than any other single item since the season started, is the lack of drive blocking by the offensive line.

On just about all running plays, our offensive linemen continue to zone-block out of an upright two-point stance. Although there is an occasional good run popped by Mason, Howard, etc., the OL consistently fails to open up running lanes through zone blocking.

It makes me wonder whether our “Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator” is ... uhh, pfft, I think I’ll just go now.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to tell what P'nut thinks. But on a few plays with Graham in we had2 running backs in the back field with him Mason and Howard and I thought we looked pretty good but he only did it a few times and stopped.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
My take away from this game:
- UNC is a good football team and validated their performance against Clemson.
- I finally saw a breath of life last week in our offense and continued growth yesterday.
- Our defense got worn down in 2nd half against a talented and well balanced offense.
Personally, I cannot understand all the negative posts (excepting Citadel) when we continue to show improvement week to week in this rebuild year. We finally look like a team that may have a chance against Duke next week. Go jackets!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
How is a post like this constructive in any way?

Are we struggling? Yep. Ahas the coaching staff made some questionable decisions? Sure.

Do you actually know this is Bill Lewis Part II? Nope. Not at all. You may think you know, but not a single person on this board knows how the Collins era is going to turn out at Tech.

I just don’t understand why some of you are so set on him failing at Tech. I honestly think there’s a large portion of posters here who would rather be right in thinking Collins isn’t the guy rather than have Collins succeed.
Do we know how the Collins era will turn out......well the imbibers sure thought they did for the last eight months. :rolleyes:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Oh, but according to this board, better recruiting will fix it. As if that has ever worked at GT. We sit between Clemson, UGA, Bama Auburn , Tennessee and Florida. But we are going to out recruit them all. Any day now. Collins has got this.
Good point, seriously, and toss in UNC and Duke, and as long as those recruiters visit recruits and throw calculus and physics book down on the dining room table, we trail at the get-go. That would sure intimidate me. We may get the occasional outlier, but most of the Georgia recruits we get will continue to be the leftovers from those teams you mentioned. (And I don't use that as a disparaging term,; they are good football players, but not the ones Collins inexplicably declared he needs to win. I am not a believer in the star system but given the choice of a team of fives and one of threes, I choose the five every time.)

I thought going in we had the potential for six wins with a new offense vs. maybe eight with the old, but that boat is pulling away from the dock. If Howell had not been missing receivers into the next area code early, lord knows what the final might have been, but something in the nature of our Clemson game, and that is not an improvement.

The bright spots to me: Curry, who played like a linebacker who likes to hit people, and Graham. He will never be more than average passer but has no quit in him.

Deleted member 2897

Unlike CBL and others, CGC has already shown he can recruit materially better. He may not be the best coach in the world, but can significantly more talented players make up for that? That is what we will find out in 2021.

I’m disappointed they don’t want to play to our strengths this year, but they’ve decided to rip the band aid off and make us run the new schemes and basically use this year as a sacrifice and practice in that direction. IIWII.

Scubapro

Banned
Just looked at where we rank on both O and D 3rd down conversions thus far....#122 on offense and #112 on defense. I knew our offense would drop dramatically this year, but am extremely disappointed with our defense ranking thus far.
The D kept getting them in 3rd and longs. Then you know the rest of the story.
You could write a laundry list as the reasons for this but for me it comes down to being outmanned and out coached.
I have seen this Tech puzzle for years, take your pick of the co-ordinator, O'Leary, Roof v.1 and v.2, Tenuta, Wommack, Groh.
3rd and longs have historically killed us.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Unlike CBL and others, CGC has already shown he can recruit materially better. He may not be the best coach in the world, but can significantly more talented players make up for that? That is what we will find out in 2021.

I’m disappointed they don’t want to play to our strengths this year, but they’ve decided to rip the band aid off and make us run the new schemes and basically use this year as a sacrifice and practice in that direction. IIWII.

Who knows?

Pruitt at Tennessee famously declared he knows how to play SEC ball and would not dumb down to fit the players. Rather, he would recruit and develop players to fit the plan.

He took hell for it.

For the first time in two years, UT looked like it could play yesterday. He might be on to something.

Geoff might be the same. Who knows what Tech will look like after we get a new OL. I’m optimistic. But it’s a total rebuild.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

That kind of reads like "if I say it loud enough and often enough I will believe it." Maybe he will recruit better. But now it is 2021 before he can prove it? And if this is our "new" scheme, may the saints preserve us. And I ain't even Irish.