Nice review of our current offensive line

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
no one wants it to but that’s where we’re at whether we like it or not. we are actually going about it the right way at the moment and yet we still just see people endlessly complain. it gets really old and derails every thread into some geoff collins roast session. if people hate tech football so much just leave
I'm not sure everyone agrees that rebuilding most the offensive line in year 4 with inexperienced transfers is "going about it the right way", nor do they think another rebuild in year 4 should be warranted. That is the crux of the argument and why some disagree with the message of the video. If discussion of the contents of the video and dissenting opinions bother you then just ignore the thread.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure everyone agrees that rebuilding most the offensive line in year 4 with inexperienced transfers is "going about it the right way", nor do they think another rebuild in year 4 should be warranted. That is the crux of the argument and why some disagree with the message of the video. If discussion of the contents of the video and dissenting opinions bother you then just ignore the thread.
It's not year 4 for the OL. Collins first OL recruits were signed in the 2020 class.

JacketFan137

Banned
yeah talking about what we were doing as a pregame warmup 3 seasons ago totally has everything to do with the context of the thread lol please explain what that had to do with the thread aside from a select few group of guys continuing to just create new things to moan and whine about

we aren’t doing another rebuild we are continuing on what we have been working on. bringing in transfers to help get us guys with multiple years of college S&C is something very important and if you don’t understand the value in that then i don’t think there’s much anyone can explain to you regarding what’s going on. yes, ideally in 2019 collins flips a bunch of guys and his recruiting class is all o lineman and we have sims being protected by the great wall of china but it didn’t work that way so we gotta play the cards we were dealt. collins hit the portal which is the objectively correct thing to do at this point.

guys haven’t even played for georgia tech so we don’t know one way or the other but whether they are good or bad but watching everyone default to the absolute worst negative take is getting comical at this point. i pray you aren’t guys in my season ticket section that i don’t know about cause watching a game with you lot is probably miserable lol

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
yeah talking about what we were doing as a pregame warmup 3 seasons ago totally has everything to do with the context of the thread lol please explain what that had to do with the thread aside from a select few group of guys continuing to just create new things to moan and whine about

we aren’t doing another rebuild we are continuing on what we have been working on. bringing in transfers to help get us guys with multiple years of college S&C is something very important and if you don’t understand the value in that then i don’t think there’s much anyone can explain to you regarding what’s going on. yes, ideally in 2019 collins flips a bunch of guys and his recruiting class is all o lineman and we have sims being protected by the great wall of china but it didn’t work that way so we gotta play the cards we were dealt. collins hit the portal which is the objectively correct thing to do at this point.

guys haven’t even played for georgia tech so we don’t know one way or the other but whether they are good or bad but watching everyone default to the absolute worst negative take is getting comical at this point. i pray you aren’t guys in my season ticket section that i don’t know about cause watching a game with you lot is probably miserable lol
Sir, this is a Wendy’s. Seriously lighten up. It’s a Cfb message board for a program that’s gone 9-25 in three years. This HC either makes the turn or hes gone. He’s been a solid disappointment for 3 years for a myriad of reasons.

Maybe the OL gets better. Maybe they don’t. Who knows. We don’t have a great track record with transfers.

IIWII.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
no one wants it to but that’s where we’re at whether we like it or not. we are actually going about it the right way at the moment and yet we still just see people endlessly complain. it gets really old and derails every thread into some geoff collins roast session. if people hate tech football so much just leave

Dont let them get you down..

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm in wait and see mode on the OL.

They might develop into a line that is better than what we have had the last 3 years or they might not. We just don't know either way.
Koon gives his rationale for why it might be and that is fine.
Robinson looks like a pure project. The other 3 brought in were highly regarded in HS. Whether they will pan out in college or if they are like many HS OL that never really live up to expectations, we will find out over the next couple of years.

I'm going to hope that they just needed time and will start to play closer to what people thought of them coming out of HS, but my rational side is just in a wait and see mode.

Going into year 4 any hype is gone for me. I'm not listening to it at all. I'm just waiting for kickoff and i'll be rooting for the guys every game, but we'll see how it all plays out. Right now it is impossible for me to get truly excited about the team simply because we haven't had anything to hang our hats on for the last 3 years.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm in wait and see mode on the OL.

They might develop into a line that is better than what we have had the last 3 years or they might not. We just don't know either way.
Koon gives his rationale for why it might be and that is fine.
Robinson looks like a pure project. The other 3 brought in were highly regarded in HS. Whether they will pan out in college or if they are like many HS OL that never really live up to expectations, we will find out over the next couple of years.

I'm going to hope that they just needed time and will start to play closer to what people thought of them coming out of HS, but my rational side is just in a wait and see mode.

Going into year 4 any hype is gone for me. I'm not listening to it at all. I'm just waiting for kickoff and i'll be rooting for the guys every game, but we'll see how it all plays out. Right now it is impossible for me to get truly excited about the team simply because we haven't had anything to hang our hats on for the last 3 years.
That's a low bar to clear. Let's hope it's a LOT better than the last three years.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
It's not year 4 for the OL. Collins first OL recruits were signed in the 2020 class.
It's de facto year 1 and I don't mean that as an excuse for CGC. It is sad that we have had so much turnover with so little to show for it. We keep inserting transfer portal guys instead of developing talent that we recruit. O-line is a group that is heavily dependent on chemistry and knowing the guy(s) next to you. We have not had that in quite some time and I don't expect it next year. I do think we will see an improvement because, like bobongo said, the bar is just set so low.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So, if you were coaching, we would've played a weaker freshman line. No thanks. Keep your current job.
I don't blame Collins and the staff for the transfers they've brought in. There were some very promising guys who looked like they could have helped us out on the OL. I blame the OL coach for the performance of transfers who went downhill after they got here, and the performance in general of the whole sorry offensive line for the last three years. If Brent Key can't cobble together something decent this year, he's got to go. He should have been gone already.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My memory of last year -- which is already fuzzy -- is that the first game starters never all played at once the rest of the year. Two or three were always injured, and the subs were a big drop off. Given that, it was hard to say if last year's line ever had a chance to be good.

BTW, I say Ramblin Reds post above wins best in thread.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm definitely not qualified to be a coach, but what did we really gain playing all the transfers over our recruits? I'm all for winning, but we haven't been winning.
Several years of strength and experience. We just were not deep enough for our schedules. Just a bit edgy lately. Sorry if I got you off center.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
My memory of last year -- which is already fuzzy -- is that the first game starters never all played at once the rest of the year. Two or three were always injured, and the subs were a big drop off. Given that, it was hard to say if last year's line ever had a chance to be good.

BTW, I say Ramblin Reds post above wins best in thread.
Every team has injuries. Too many missed assignments, too many whiffed blocks, too many years, and too many excuses.
At a certain point, you have to look at the coach. Maybe that's the reason they never had a chance to be good.

JacketFan137

Banned
people in this thread acting like transfers don’t count as recruits. so many people are lost and need to either wake up to what college football is today or stop talking out of their behind. we also were undersized before so the idea of playing undersized freshman just because they’re recruits is pretty laughable too. we’d be having the same conversation.

thecrowdedbooth

Georgia Tech Fan
Back to the video by Bryce, just watched it. I think it was really well done. He doesn't try to sell that this OL is going to be a complete answer this year, but gives reasons why it could finally be the solid base from which to build, that multiple players have years of eligibility to play and grow together. He mentions 'runway', which is basically asking is the current coaching staff going to be here to see it through, without making that the premise of the video. He doesn't go into any kind of detail about each player really, but does a good job of setting the table at a high level.
I do wonder if he's been listening to Kele Eveland though :unsure: the 'Jor Tech' team
Thanks Mike

thecrowdedbooth

Georgia Tech Fan
It's obvious that he doesn't think our OL is going to be very good this year, he just didn't want to come out and say that. Instead, he tries the hope for the future angle to not look too negative. Personally, im well out of the hope for the future mindset. We are past needing to show improvement.
Yea not quite. This OLine will be better, because last year was bad...like really bad