Nice review of our current offensive line

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I saw it was Bryce Koon and stopped watching.
How do you know his efforts are null.?

I l it an interesting presentation of where we "are" in the OL .
He skipped over the blame collins or injuries.
He makes the case we finally have a group of ol plyers to build a team behind.
He discussed the projected starters and backups= no mention of the previous back ups. All about the Portal ol moving to the front and all having years of eligibility...
With Clemson expecting to have strong DL - prompting last years back ups was not an option.

AFTER listening am somewhat hopeful that ol get better each game.

Quick, at LG who had back injuries in past seems to me to be the important new
addition.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It's a bit pie in the sky for an offensive line with 4 new starters (from his predictions) that have little to no experience. While I don't disagree that they would gel over time with continuity, they don't really have time. We have good teams knocking on our door the first 5 weeks.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We had an experienced OL last year. These guys are really big people that are very powerful individuals crashing into other big powerful people so injuries are very common. Thus the need for depth. What I observed several times last year was missed assignments. One glaring play where the tackle blocked to his left and the guard Io his right and left a DL unblocked with straight shot to the QB. Somebody wasn't on the same page. That sort of mistake needs to be corrected.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
We had an experienced OL last year. These guys are really big people that are very powerful individuals crashing into other big powerful people so injuries are very common. Thus the need for depth. What I observed several times last year was missed assignments. One glaring play where the tackle blocked to his left and the guard Io his right and left a DL unblocked with straight shot to the QB. Somebody wasn't on the same page. That sort of mistake needs to be corrected.

Experience often gets conflated as playing together & continuity as mentioned. CGC biggest issue has been that controlled chaos has been far from controlled. We need all of our units on the team to be the proverbial “One band, one sound” If we can do that, we will be fine

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think he makes some good points (with a little white and gold colored glasses), but he sort if steps around the elephant in the room.

He basically says that this group of portal transfers is more naturally talented than the OL players GT has had the last 3 years - I think that is probably an accurate statement.
He also says they will have a chance to play together for 2-3 years and build cohesiveness - I think that is also true.

What he sort of dances around though is that 2-3 of these guys are going to start this year, and whether they are ready to perform at the P5 level, or show cohesiveness this season is an open question.

I think he is way, overly sunny about Robinson - he wasn't going to contribute this season at Kansas, the idea he is going to contribute this season at GT seems far fetched.
Tchio is the only transfer that has any real college game experience and he was unable to hold a spot in the rotation on a bad Clemson OL. He also is already dealing with injuries.
Finally, these transfers give us a starting 5, but depth still feels pretty weak. One or two injuries and this OL for this upcoming season is in real trouble.

He sort of talks about the runway and it is a good comment. Is there enough runway left with the current staff for this group of players to make a difference. They don't really have time to grow, they have to produce right away.

GT's schedule is set up to be very difficult both at the beginning and end. GT starts with 3 of its first 4 games in Atlanta, but only one game is an easy win. 2 of them GT will be a decided underdog and the other is a road contest against an opponent that is at best a 50/50 game. The middle of the season is where the best chance for wins lie. And then the end of the season GT plays 4 of its last 5 games on the road (where GT has only won one road game each of the last 3 seasons) and the home game is against a talented Miami team with a significantly upgraded coaching staff.

I think the staff recognized that the players they have recruited on the OL so far are largely not ready to perform at a P5 level so they went into the portal to see what they could add.

I hope our OL is better this year than the last couple of years but I am not confident in that. Right now it feels more like an OL that will be better than our previous lines in 2023, but they need to move that up by a year.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
A team lives and dies with its offensive line. I challenge you to find one good football team at any level of college without an o line that more often than not has a good performance. I still don't see that happening for us next season. This year feels like a major dice roll by Geoff and Key to make something happen, with some really bad possible results if the transfer portal guys can't gel immediately (which is a very tough ask to begin with).

JacketFan137

Banned
our right side of our o line was absolutely atrocious in most games. almost all the plays where our qbs were under duress and turned the ball over was due to the right side of the line just flat out missing people. if we can get serviceable play, not even good, from the group we will be in a decent position

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I presume there is a reason and sometimes I'm clueless, but tell me why?
I know Bryce has posted on here so first of all thanks to him for some content (we don't get that much), but its just a little less homer-ish than getting deep insight from Andy Demetra. This piece is REALLY REALLY optimistic for a unit that will likely have 2-4 new starters. Maybe the group gels - if it does the season is going to be better, but CBK has had three swings to put a group together and the end product has been more than underwhelming so far. Banking on major improvement from transfers may be the right move for CGC right now but there is no guarantee of success - its a high risk move...

JacketFan137

Banned
It’s incredibly disappointing that 3 years of CCG recruiting and Key coaching said recruits sn’t produced a serviceable OL and that we are still depending on castoff transfers to survive the season
he’s really only had 2 classes come in and be in the program for a while. the 19 class is not his and the 22 class is just getting on campus. would expect some of the 20 and 21 class to be contributing now that almost all of the previous players are gone

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
he’s really only had 2 classes come in and be in the program for a while. the 19 class is not his and the 22 class is just getting on campus. would expect some of the 20 and 21 class to be contributing now that almost all of the previous players are gone
9 of the 21 recruits signed in 2019 committed after CGC took over, it's basically half his. He also chose to recruit no OL during that time, I don't see how that's anyone's fault but his own.