Nice review of our current offensive line

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
9 of the 21 recruits signed in 2019 committed after CGC took over, it's basically half his. He also chose to recruit no OL during that time, I don't see how that's anyone's fault but his own.
Because you don't understand college football or recruiting.
The prior staff had 2 OL commits, neither of which was suitable for a balanced run/pass offense. Collins wisely decided to not waste 'ships on them.

It takes time to build relationships in recruiting. With the December signing date, most of the quality players are off the board by the time a new coach takes over. So the first year was lost, as it would be for any coach taking over this program. But you admit that you don't understand that.

So going into last year we had the 20 and 21 classes to try to build an offensive line, which should occupy about 15 of the 85 'ships. Impossible to do that. The prior guys were recruited for the option. That's no one's fault--it is what it is. Further, very few HS recruits have the physical maturity or understand the complexity of college offenses and defenses to be ready to play. Generally, they need 3 years in the program. OL are almost always redshirted for a reason. But you don't understand that either.

The staff has done a decent job of plugging holes with the portal. However, getting depth from the portal is not an easy task. No grad transfer is going to come in and ride the bench. But you don't understand that, or the injuries the OL suffered last year, either.

The only bone I have to pick is Key's lack of understanding of the depth situation. Some of the OL injuries were from practice. Key's comment was that they needed to go hard in practice to learn. What value is an "educated" but injured OL? Friedgen eased up on the OL after the season started, because we've never had great OL depth.

Your comment that "Collins chose to recruit no OL" is wrong on many levels.

JacketFan137

Banned
The prior staff had 2 OL commits, neither of which was suitable for a balanced run/pass offense. Collins wisely decided to not waste 'ships on them.

It takes time to build relationships in recruiting. With the December signing date, most of the quality players are off the board by the time a new coach takes over. So the first year was lost, as it would be for any coach taking over this program. But you admit that you don't understand that.

So going into last year we had the 20 and 21 classes to try to build an offensive line, which should occupy about 15 of the 85 'ships. Impossible to do that. The prior guys were recruited for the option. That's no one's fault--it is what it is. Further, very few HS recruits have the physical maturity or understand the complexity of college offenses and defenses to be ready to play. Generally, they need 3 years in the program. OL are almost always redshirted for a reason. But you don't understand that either.

The staff has done a decent job of plugging holes with the portal. However, getting depth from the portal is not an easy task. No grad transfer is going to come in and ride the bench. But you don't understand that, or the injuries the OL suffered last year, either.

The only bone I have to pick is Key's lack of understanding of the depth situation. Some of the OL injuries were from practice. Key's comment was that they needed to go hard in practice to learn. What value is an "educated" but injured OL? Friedgen eased up on the OL after the season started, because we've never had great OL depth.

yeah i have some questions about key cause i haven’t seen guys improve a whole lot unfortunately and some guys had some abysmal film out there. i know many of them were option guys but you still gotta get a hat on SOMEBODY. hoping the transfers this year and going forward (since most had 2-3+ years of eligibility) are an improvement

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
There is so much conflicting information - I trust RamblinRed who seems very cautious.

I'm just going to wait until the horn sounds after the Clemson game. I think that game will tell the story about our OL.

Honestly, its put up or shut up time. I'm just tired of all the rationalization - even if its reasonable - its far past time to accomplish something.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It's a bit pie in the sky for an offensive line with 4 new starters (from his predictions) that have little to no experience. While I don't disagree that they would gel over time with continuity, they don't really have time. We have good teams knocking on our door the first 5 weeks.
I hope they gel.... you’re correct that many of our toughest opponents are right out of the gate but so are a couple of our easiest. Frankly, opponents 7-11 will determine whether this is a successful season or not.
I believe we’re coming through the first half of the season 3-3. We won’t be better than that, and 2-4 is a real possibility, but we certainly won’t be worse.
That leaves the five game stretch of UVA, FSU, VT, Miami and UNC to determine if were a 3/4 win team or a 6/7 win team. Every one of those games is winnable and every one is losable. If the line is coming together, we’re in good shape. If not, the wheels come off.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know Bryce has posted on here so first of all thanks to him for some content (we don't get that much), but its just a little less homer-ish than getting deep insight from Andy Demetra. This piece is REALLY REALLY optimistic for a unit that will likely have 2-4 new starters. Maybe the group gels - if it does the season is going to be better, but CBK has had three swings to put a group together and the end product has been more than underwhelming so far. Banking on major improvement from transfers may be the right move for CGC right now but there is no guarantee of success - its a high risk move...
So instead of a little optimism in June, you decide to crap on the team. Way to go!

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Try to listen here.

Just because a player was recruited by an option team, doesn't mean that's the only system they can play in.

We've already discussed many times how the size and frame of most of the o line inherited by CGC were very typical of college teams. If coach Key was really as great of a coach as everyone liked to believe, he would have something to show for it by now.

Enough of the excuses.

Let's stop settling for below mediocrity.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
A team lives and dies with its offensive line. I challenge you to find one good football team at any level of college without an o line that more often than not has a good performance. I still don't see that happening for us next season. This year feels like a major dice roll by Geoff and Key to make something happen, with some really bad possible results if the transfer portal guys can't gel immediately (which is a very tough ask to begin with).
The bengals but we don’t have joe cool

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought are returning OL starters last year were battle tested. Boy was I wrong. We were soft and slow. Constructing an OL leaning heavily on the portal does not seem ideal for the long term. If our guys just play tough- that would be an improvement. An offensive identity would also help. Coach P was a nice man, but his system was a mystery? My hope is the younger guys are more talented and hungrier. Brice seems to think so? Also, we need someone to step forward and be the leader of this group. Brice did not address this?

JacketFan137

Banned
Try to listen here.

Just because a player was recruited by an option team, doesn't mean that's the only system they can play in.

We've already discussed many times how the size and frame of most of the o line inherited by CGC were very typical of college teams. If coach Key was really as great of a coach as everyone liked to believe, he would have something to show for it by now.

Enough of the excuses.

Let's stop settling for below mediocrity.
you conveniently ignored like 95% of what he said just to focus on a point that you keep pushing.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

You want to talk about understanding? You don't understand where he signed 9 commits of his own that class. Claiming none of it should count against him is ridiculous, you would be more than happy to give him credit if those guys were blowing up (e.g. Ahmarean Brown in 2019).

I would agree that Geoff thought the 2 OL that were committed were not a fit for his offense and made it clear they were not wanted. I don't think he just decided not to waste scholarships on them, he did not have that latitude to withdraw their offers, but either way, he essentially turned down the 2 committed OL.

Geoff was not brand new to coaching and building relationships either, he had been recruiting for Temple the previous two years. Did he reach out to any of the OL he had committed to him there to see if they wanted to come play for him at Tech? Did he reach out to any unsigned OL he had built a relationship with previously? Who were the HS OL Collins was trying to recruit to Tech in the 2019 class once he was hired here? Go look at the 2019 recruiting forum, it will give you a good idea. Darius Washington is the only OL guy who was offered.

I have no idea what you are talking about with your little "grad transfers riding the bench" rant. I've never said anything of the sort, you have pulled that straight out of your rear end.

Keep the excuse machine rolling though, I'm sure Geoff is super happy to have you okay with him not meeting basic minimum expectations.

JacketFan137

Banned
You want to talk about understanding? You don't understand where he signed 9 commits of his own that class. Claiming none of it should count against him is ridiculous, you would be more than happy to give him credit if those guys were blowing up (e.g. Ahmarean Brown in 2019).

I would agree that Geoff thought the 2 OL that were committed were not a fit for his offense and made it clear they were not wanted. I don't think he just decided not to waste scholarships on them, he did not have that latitude to withdraw their offers, but either way, he essentially turned down the 2 committed OL.

Geoff was not brand new to coaching and building relationships either, he had been recruiting for Temple the previous two years. Did he reach out to any of the OL he had committed to him there to see if they wanted to come play for him at Tech? Did he reach out to any unsigned OL he had built a relationship with previously? Who were the HS OL Collins was trying to recruit to Tech in the 2019 class once he was hired here? Go look at the 2019 recruiting forum, it will give you a good idea. Darius Washington is the only OL guy who was offered.

I have no idea what you are talking about with your little "grad transfers riding the bench" rant. I've never said anything of the sort, you have pulled that straight out of your rear end.

Keep the excuse machine rolling though, I'm sure Geoff is super happy to have you okay with him not meeting basic minimum expectations.
with early signing there’s only so much a coach can do while he’s brought on that late in the process. this comment is stating this like he had ample time to prepare and form a recruiting class and that there were plenty of good lineman available. we’ve all talked about how valuable the o line is, obviously other teams knew that and were working to scoop up plenty of them.

theres more than enough things to heavily criticize collins for. you don’t have to stretch reality to come up with another one lol

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
From rewatching some games from last year, we were bad on the OL, which is understandably agreed upon. What made it seem even worse was our execution in other parts of the offense. There were plays that stuck out where a rusher was let through unmolested but there were also plays where they blocked well enough but we missed a zone read, where they blocked well enough but a pass sailed, they blocked well enough but the back ran in front of the blocker instead of off his butt.
We also didn’t help ourselves out. It’s tough to block 6 with 5 on 3rd and forever. It’s tough to hold off blitzes when you rarely attempt and even more rarely hit a screen or TE dump off.
I’m hoping that Long will maximize our chances to keep drives alive and moving the chains. Our offense over the last two years have been feast or famine, and even getting chunk yards, we were one critical mistake away from putting us in distances that let the front 7 pin their ears back, and killed drives.
In both the Pitt and Duke games, they had 8 in the box on every 1st and 2nd and long and dared us to throw. With our lack of short passing prowess and lack of screen game, we either ran into the teeth of the defense or attempted to get off long passes, which made our OL look even worse than they were.

I don’t know how good we will be there this year, but I’m hoping we scheme to give them more help than we did last season. Keeping blockers in, screens, draws, dump offs. The works.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
with early signing there’s only so much a coach can do while he’s brought on that late in the process. this comment is stating this like he had ample time to prepare and form a recruiting class and that there were plenty of good lineman available. we’ve all talked about how valuable the o line is, obviously other teams knew that and were working to scoop up plenty of them.

theres more than enough things to heavily criticize collins for. you don’t have to stretch reality to come up with another one lol
I think you are misunderstanding my comments then. He did not have a lot of time to recruit for Tech before NSD once he was hired, nobody is debating that. My point was there is no evidence he even tried to get OL in the time he had, despite knowing the OL situation would be a problem for him in the future. He went the opposite direction in trying to get the two committed OL to go elsewhere. Is it hard to build a relationship in just a few months? Sure, but it can obviously be done or he wouldn't have gotten 9 commitments in that span.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
There is so much conflicting information - I trust RamblinRed who seems very cautious.

I'm just going to wait until the horn sounds after the Clemson game. I think that game will tell the story about our OL.

Honestly, its put up or shut up time. I'm just tired of all the rationalization - even if its reasonable - its far past time to accomplish something.
Bingo!! Put up or shut up !

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think you are misunderstanding my comments then. He did not have a lot of time to recruit for Tech before NSD once he was hired, nobody is debating that. My point was there is no evidence he even tried to get OL in the time he had, despite knowing the OL situation would be a problem for him in the future. He went the opposite direction in trying to get the two committed OL to go elsewhere. Is it hard to build a relationship in just a few months? Sure, but it can obviously be done or he wouldn't have gotten 9 commitments in that span.
We have archived recruiting here

Also got Southers

JacketFan137

Banned
you have no evidence that he DIDNT try to get lineman to come either you have to also get people that want to come to the school. again, criticize collins for real issues not ones you’ve created just to pile on