Nice review of our current offensive line

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
bare minimum i expect the depth to be better. i think it’s a pretty solid chance we are significantly better on the o line cause i think we had guys playing hurt last year

The subject of the offensive line to me at this point is whether Key is the man for the job.

After watching the video and reading through the posts of this thread, I did not find any comments on how well Key is doing his job. I have not read he is a talented recruiter (he may be, but have not seen it), that he has done a great job of developing talent or has done a great job creating a cohesive line. Most of this thread has been either CGC bashing or excuses.

The one example of improvement in the offensive line was one year (I forget which one) the offensive line had numerous procedure calls. The next year this problem was corrected. Other than that, I am not sure CBK has lived up to the hype when he was hired.

For those of you who are more familiar, please comment on the job CBK has done.

slugboy

Staff member
The subject of the offensive line to me at this point is whether Key is the man for the job.

After watching the video and reading through the posts of this thread, I did not find any comments on how well Key is doing his job. I have not read he is a talented recruiter (he may be, but have not seen it), that he has done a great job of developing talent or has done a great job creating a cohesive line. Most of this thread has been either CGC bashing or excuses.

The one example of improvement in the offensive line was one year (I forget which one) the offensive line had numerous procedure calls. The next year this problem was corrected. Other than that, I am not sure CBK has lived up to the hype when he was hired.

For those of you who are more familiar, please comment on the job CBK has done.

It’s not quite what you asked for, but https://gtswarm.com/threads/what-gt-does-pass-blocking.23996/#post-829919 shows our schemes and breakdowns of some of our missed blocks.

This is what I've seen reported,
  • We cross-train more than normal, so that we can shift a guard out to tackle if we have too many injuries.
  • Because of that, I'm not sure that our LG has their reads down pat at LG (for example)
  • Our practices are high-energy, but I see missed assignments and missed reads on offense, defense, and all over the field. You could call it "lack of attention to detail". It's just deadly on the OL
  • We have brought in a lot of transfers to start, and some have only been here for a year
  • The average age of our OL seems pretty normal. Our heights and weights are typical for a P5 team. We're not trotting out a line full of freshmen. It's not "youth".
{I'm not an OL expert}

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m hoping that Key and the new Off Coord will be more on the same page than with Patenaude as far as OL scheme and philosophy goes. I also hope very much that Chip Kelly takes 100% control of practice on the OFF side of the ball and cuts out all of the ridiculous practice shenanigans that CCG has implemented (the excessive cross-training for example)

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m hoping that Key and the new Off Coord will be more on the same page than with Patenaude as far as OL scheme and philosophy goes. I also hope very much that Chip Kelly takes 100% control of practice on the OFF side of the ball and cuts out all of the ridiculous practice shenanigans that CCG has implemented (the excessive cross-training for example)
That would be pretty sweet if Chip Kelly took over on the OFF side of the ball

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
It’s not quite what you asked for, but https://gtswarm.com/threads/what-gt-does-pass-blocking.23996/#post-829919 shows our schemes and breakdowns of some of our missed blocks.

This is what I've seen reported,
  • We cross-train more than normal, so that we can shift a guard out to tackle if we have too many injuries.
  • Because of that, I'm not sure that our LG has their reads down pat at LG (for example)
  • Our practices are high-energy, but I see missed assignments and missed reads on offense, defense, and all over the field. You could call it "lack of attention to detail". It's just deadly on the OL
  • We have brought in a lot of transfers to start, and some have only been here for a year
  • The average age of our OL seems pretty normal. Our heights and weights are typical for a P5 team. We're not trotting out a line full of freshmen. It's not "youth".
{I'm not an OL expert}
"Lack of attention to detail" in every position group for the past 3 years, IMO. I have often wondered exactly what CGC's practices must be like, because
our game over game improvement seems to be lacking. Choas in any form should be eliminated in a team- including coaching staff- who seem very prone
to mental lapses and unforced errors.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
"Lack of attention to detail" in every position group for the past 3 years, IMO. I have often wondered exactly what CGC's practices must be like, because
our game over game improvement seems to be lacking. Choas in any form should be eliminated in a team- including coaching staff- who seem very prone
to mental lapses and unforced errors.

This has been my biggest issue over the last 3 seasons. As much as CGC prides himself on being 2 steps ahead of his competition, we look lost far to lost on the field.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This has been my biggest issue over the last 3 seasons. As much as CGC prides himself on being 2 steps ahead of his competition, we look lost far to lost on the field.
Unfortunately I have to agree with this. Hopefully the overhaul of the coaching staff makes a significant difference here.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
9 of the 21 recruits signed in 2019 committed after CGC took over, it's basically half his. He also chose to recruit no OL during that time, I don't see how that's anyone's fault but his own.
If I remember right CPJ left us with a really large number of young OLs that did not fit with where we were going. GT did not run off players at that time and there are just so many schollies to give. This the same thing Bobby Ross faced when he got to GT. He has talked about it a lot over the years.

JacketFan137

Banned
If I remember right CPJ left us with a really large number of young OLs that did not fit with where we were going. GT did not run off players at that time and there are just so many schollies to give. This the same thing Bobby Ross faced when he got to GT. He has talked about it a lot over the years.
don’t criticize paul for being lazy at the end! that’s collins fault!