Next Up - Revenge - Hopefully Sweet

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I actually think Stansbury is doing a fine job given the situation he is dealing with. Again, we are over budget on our operations funds in the 2020 athletic fund per https://www.atfund.gatech.edu/athletics-initiative-2020-0, so there is some flexibility in how we use the funds raised despite the commonly held believes on this board that this budget is set in stone. I hope Stansbury has the cojones to make the necessary changes, and I believe that he does. There is never going to be a specific line item in the budget for "underperforming basketball coach", but certainty we shouldn't wait for that to make up our minds about how we feel about a coach. I don't see how *hitting on me for wanting some change is productive. Your opinion is your opinion and quite frankly I don't give a *hit. Are you ok with where this program has fallen to because I am not? This is a part of the problem, it is ok to have some expectations for our sports programs, and you don't have to have some grand plan to fix everything. I really don't understand why we look for every damn reasons why we can't do stuff and are not talking about how we can change things. Seriously, that is simply a losing attitude.

It’s called the hell that comes with being a basketball fan of a school that has a lot more football support from donors than basketball. If the football side saw a decade of crap like our hoops team has, you bet your *** the AD would be more proactive.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So you’re implying he’s choosing not to play?

I wasn't implying. I was saying. Pastner made it clear in an interview this week that Devoe has a "sore foot" and that it's Devoe's decision whether or not he feels that he can play.

I think "quit" is a little stronger than "choosing not to play". And uncalled for

I put "quit" within quotation marks to mollify this reaction.

My point was simply that when it's the player's choice, it's not a HIPPA issue.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Sad.

I feel bad for Pastner, but when over a period of years you always have a problem with missing your top players, something is wrong.

Only 5 turnovers and obliterated them on rebounds, resulting in 20 more FG attempts. This is a game we should have won by 15-18 points.

Sad.

hahahaha. You feel bad for Pastner? I feel bad for fans, players, almost everyone except the coach. Coaches worth their salt win this game

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Fully healthy we absolutely should have been a tourney team. This is Pastner's best team and the fact we are at 10-12 is partly due to injuries. But the lack of quality depth is a huge issue and that rests squarely on the coach. I expect to go 8-1 if fully healthy. If this team finishes below .500 I want him gone regardless of our financial "issues"
What have you seen to make you think we’d go 8-1 if this team was fully healthy?

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I actually think Stansbury is doing a fine job given the situation he is dealing with. Again, we are over budget on our operations funds in the 2020 athletic fund per https://www.atfund.gatech.edu/athletics-initiative-2020-0, so there is some flexibility in how we use the funds raised despite the commonly held believes on this board that this budget is set in stone. I hope Stansbury has the cojones to make the necessary changes, and I believe that he does. There is never going to be a specific line item in the budget for "underperforming basketball coach", but certainty we shouldn't wait for that to make up our minds about how we feel about a coach. I don't see how *hitting on me for wanting some change is productive. Your opinion is your opinion and quite frankly I don't give a *hit. Are you ok with where this program has fallen to because I am not? This is a part of the problem, it is ok to have some expectations for our sports programs, and you don't have to have some grand plan to fix everything. I really don't understand why we look for every damn reasons why we can't do stuff and are not talking about how we can change things. Seriously, that is simply a losing attitude.
Speaking of losing attitude, why does the ACC network have the worst commercials in the history of television?

You make a bad Troll. Try harder. Eat some more salt. Drive off a bridge. Something.

Lol @JacketOff this would be a perfect example of what I am referring to when I say it's just a sports boards. Someone got trolled and their feelings got hurt. Then took it way too far elevating it to driving off a bridge. Seriously, this is sad guys, we got people suggesting that we need to drive off bridges maybe a new coach is needed regardless of the financial situation of this program.... in order to save lives. Even if you get trolled on this boards, please just laugh it off or come up with a funny comeback. As always, the sun will rise tomorrow I promise.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
He makes a valid point. The object is to win games, not just be close. We were struggling to do that, even with everybody available.

Exactly, the excuses and rationalizing have gotten old. We aren't even consistently beating middle of the pack teams (except NCSU). At some point you have to win these kinds of games and pull off upsets to get to the tournament.

Deleted member 2897

He makes a valid point. The object is to win games, not just be close. We were struggling to do that, even with everybody available.

No he was trolling. I’ve never said that I am OK with losing. And in fact when asked directly I’ve said I am absolutely not OK with losing. I’ve said we need to be looking for another coach. I don’t know what I can say to be any more clear than that. But a few people like him continue to tell me I have a loser mentality, I am OK with mediocrity, and that’s no big deal to lose games. If he’s that miserable that he feels like he needs to start fights with other people on this board, I’m just trying to help him find ways to find some new scenery.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Great question about Moore. He honesty didn’t get a lot of PT this year, yet we gave Bubba ample PT. I think that is a question Pastner needs to answer, but our soft beat writers probably won’t ask that question if we are being honest with ourselves.

He's getting more minutes than he did a year ago (21 vs. 16 per game) . A lot of it was early in the season, but he has been awful.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see the game but today it wasn't turnovers. They shot 28 FT to our 12. Were we fouling that much or was there some home cooking going on. That difference is just way off.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we can land someone like Smart, Howland, Grant, Alford, etc then absolutely we should go for it. Even if we can line up (as in we know we will get them before we actually fire Pastner) one of the top mid major coaches then it might make sense. But it makes absolutely no sense to fire Pastner just to go bargain bin shopping and wind up with either some assistant who has never been a head coach or a coach out of a one bid league with one or two decent years and find ourselves in the same position 4 years from now.

The next hire needs to be a good hire and if that means waiting a bit to make the change then that's what we need to be. Just making a change and hoping for the best when all signs point to a lackluster hire being the likely outcome would be foolish. But hey, sometimes people want to be fools.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I didn't see the game but today it wasn't turnovers. They shot 28 FT to our 12. Were we fouling that much or was there some home cooking going on. That difference is just way off.

The Irish shoot triples at an incredible rate despite not being a great shooting team. Today was an anomaly

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We've always hired our HC from those with HC experience at "smaller schools". Although I guess you can argue Memphis and Dayton are bigger names in the world of college basketball. Cremins is the only one that worked out over time. Stansbury hired Collins for the football program from a similar type school. I'm not sure we would go after or be attractive to any of the coaches you mention. Despite protestations by others on this board I'm not hopeful that we can come up with the money to do otherwise. BB just doesn't appear to be that high a priority. It's a shame because I remember the days of the Thrillerdome at GT being relevant in college basketball and a must get ticket.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Next year is the make or break year. Who comes back and how well the freshmen can play. We may lose some to transfer or leave early (only Devoe is a possible). I hope they all stay. No one on this team is really a draft pick. This has been a frustrating year. Jose has been really good the last few games.