Next Up - Revenge - Hopefully Sweet

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
So Jackets and ND tomorrow at noon. Haven't seen a line yet but I am usually the last to know. Also looks like this game is back on Fox Sports (and other) syndication so no finding the ACCN Extra feed for the hordes of Tech fans planning on tuning in at noon. (y)

This should be a close game based on the last game and where both of these teams are. Both desperately need conference wins so they should play hard even if not smooth at all times. To me there are 3 key questions to this game:

1) Does DeVoe play and play effectively - obviously the most crucial question.
2) Will GT actually get benefit of the doubt from the ACC refs who now take out their displeasure with Brays' $20K ACC ref tirade?
3) Does Josh Pastner actually look like Fred Savage? (yea out of nowhere but see below ;))

Yea there are other questions like can GT run them off the 3 point line and can we make a play at the end but that's all secondary :p For the hard core who remain tomorrow is the start of the NCAA tourney run.

I hope o_O

https://www.onefootdown.com/2020/1/...ch-preview-purcell-pastner-devoe-mooney-gibbs

Deleted member 2897

I put the over/under at 16. Turnovers that is. If we have 18-20+ turnovers again, any team, not just Notre Dame, will get too many extra possessions for us to overcome.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So Jackets and ND tomorrow at noon. Haven't seen a line yet but I am usually the last to know. Also looks like this game is back on Fox Sports (and other) syndication so no finding the ACCN Extra feed for the hordes of Tech fans planning on tuning in at noon. (y)

This should be a close game based on the last game and where both of these teams are. Both desperately need conference wins so they should play hard even if not smooth at all times. To me there are 3 key questions to this game:

1) Does DeVoe play and play effectively - obviously the most crucial question.
2) Will GT actually get benefit of the doubt from the ACC refs who now take out their displeasure with Brays' $20K ACC ref tirade?
3) Does Josh Pastner actually look like Fred Savage? (yea out of nowhere but see below ;))

Yea there are other questions like can GT run them off the 3 point line and can we make a play at the end but that's all secondary :p For the hard core who remain tomorrow is the start of the NCAA tourney run.

I hope o_O

https://www.onefootdown.com/2020/1/...ch-preview-purcell-pastner-devoe-mooney-gibbs

We're back on the road where we seem to play really well. I'm not sure if we lock-in better on the opponents homecourt or what, I suspect that we play better than round 1 against them.

IMO, we have to play better defensively than we did when we played them in Atlanta. Pastner mentioned that he was unhappy with our defensive effort, but give them credit, they hit some big shots down the stretch.

Mooney is consistent, but he got the better of James. We really need for James and Moses to step up and keep him off the boards.

Hopefully Khalid can continue his recent stretch of good play. I think that he could be an X factor matching up on Gibbs.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Mooney is consistent, but he got the better of James. We really need for James and Moses to step up and keep him off the boards.

Eh, he was 4-12 for 10 points to Banks 4-6 for 10 points. Mooney did get 14 rebounds to Bank's 6 but imo that is more a product of ND goings mall with worse rebounders so Mooney was the getting most of the easy boards on defense while we had 3 other players with 5+ rebounds. Mooney did pull dwn 4 off rebounds to Banks' 2 but I wouldn't say that was overly significant difference. I'd gladly take holding him to that performance again.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Definitely key on Mooney and control him, but I think we did a good job of that in the first game. Don't let Goodwin shoot. He lit us up in the first half of the first game.
Huff and Gibbs did nothing in the first half of the first game and then out-athleted Jose and Mike and took over the game in the last 5-8 minutes of the second half. How do we stop that from happening again? I'm not sure, but one option is maybe to utilize more bench players to defend their guards so that we are fresher than or as fresh as they are down the stretch.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame is just 1-3 at home in league play. They have not protected Purcell well at all with this group of players over the last season and a half.

The biggest factor is Prentiss Hubb. When he plays well, they win. He was money in the first game. At home this season he’s shooting just 30% from deep and 50% from the stripe compared to 47% and 84% on the road. No, those aren’t backwards.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve seen in the past folks have said that we don’t have a quality bench but my thing is I feel like pastner doesn’t really have a method to his madness other than ‘feel’

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ND - 6.5. That number seems a little high. Perhaps they’re reacting to the Devoe injury. We’ve been really good against the spread, but I want this W. Hope we are focused today!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yeah to me there are three things that will decide this game.

1) Bench Minutes.

We need to get some minutes for Alvarado to take a breather before the final 5 of both halves. Him playing at 100% effort but 80% capability has been killer closing games out.

2) Good James V Bad James?

We need James Banks lll [emoji769] to show up and not James Banks the tired. If he plays with fire he should be able to hold it down at the post and let Moses / Cole feast on those back door slamjams we all love so much. If he doesn’t assert himself we are going to see some roaming doubles and blocks down low with little to no chance for us to get Offensive putbacks/rebounds.

3) Bench Minutes (part 2).

Give us Cole, or give us death! That man can straight play and if they go small again I wanna see us go big and tear the rims off the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame is just 1-3 at home in league play. They have not protected Purcell well at all with this group of players over the last season and a half.

The biggest factor is Prentiss Hubb. When he plays well, they win. He was money in the first game. At home this season he’s shooting just 30% from deep and 50% from the stripe compared to 47% and 84% on the road. No, those aren’t backwards.

Friends, this is a jinx. Thanks, Peac.

ND's jerseys are perfect "white and gold" jerseys. C'mon Tech, let's get this right in the future.

We need to take control in the second half