Next Up - Revenge - Hopefully Sweet

Deleted member 2897

Both of our games against ND were frustrating losses. We let Mooney out effort us both times IMO. Those were two games we had to win, but couldn’t get it done. In fact, we aren’t very good at winning must win games (or winning at all for that matter).

Frustrating for sure. Another poster put it well...most talented roster during a down year in the league and we have the worst record we’ve had under Pastner. Let’s get past the financial issues and the probation stuff and find us a better alternative in three years.

If you leave out emotion and make rational decisions, I think this is where you end up. ADTS (IMO) should be putting out the feelers for who he might be able to get coach and what money he might can raise to help. Then as we go through next year he’ll know if he has an out if he needs it. I think with money, buyouts, recruiting restrictions, etc it would be all but impossible to find a good replacement right now.

If you think all the way back to Lammers, Okogie, Tadric, Haywood, and keep going and you can see year after year after year we miss wide swaths of the season without our top players. It’s ridiculous. Something just isn’t working. We had more than enough talent to win 20+ games this season.

I also don’t see something happening soon because I think ADTS is super slow on the draw. If you follow baseball, Danny Hall always has great recruiting classes. But we had several years of bad play on the field. But ADTS never fired him or pushed him into retirement when it was actually long past due. Luckily for Hall he finally had a good season again last year. So I wouldn’t expect anything fast to happen here either.

You’re right, why did I even bother coming here? The number of people participating on this board has dwindled to near nothing for a reason. I should have known that the 5 of you (Pea ain’t one of you) were going to pull out the same ole rinse, repeat argument after the L. Ya’ll do your thang..lol.

I’ll pose the same question to you? What did you expect when one of our top two players and a guy avg. 16 ppg is on the shelf? Not a team in the league absorbs that loss and doesn’t sputter somewhat.

As much as I want him to succeed, I also don’t think he’s the long term answer, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to whine like a 2 year old whose toy just got taken away either after a road loss. Especially when the refs give them 28 free throws when they’re mostly shooting threes.

My god man it’s just a sports boards seriously if it’s causing you this must distress just simply don’t look at it. This is going to be a bitter pill to swallow as a featured member, but I promise your life will go on. In regards to the dwindling membership on this board, let me throw in my two cents which I’m sure you’ll find quarrel with. If you express an alternative opinion or frankly just unpopular opinion a bunch of miserable old veterans of these boards band together calling you whatever childish names they can conjure up like “a know it all *ss” thinking they will be able to silence newer members. Sadly, not everyone is as stubborn and tough as I, and they simply throw in the towel thinking their Tech fandom and voice don’t matter, which is sad. I agree with your previous comment there are seriously some miserable people on these boards that just get on here and *itch when people say stuff that they disagree with or things on this board aren't 100% to their liking. If you call anyone out even in a light-hearted or obviously sarcastic manner, it’s take as a personal attack. Many people just go overboard and lose their minds even devolving to threats of violence over the actions of 18-22 year old men. Seriously it’s just a game, and this is just a simple sports board not some grandiose battlefield to try to defend our manhood. To me this is a forum is a place to freely express your thoughts like shooting the *hit with my tech buddies at some ATL bar, and I think other simply haven’t had that experience or just don’t share that same view of what a sports forum should be. At the risk of being called a troll, seriously man just step away the negativity probably isn’t going anywhere if we keep playing like this poorly if you want I would be more than happy to shoot you a DM once moral on the basketball boards improves.

yours truly,

TheAnonymousOne

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Both of our games against ND were frustrating losses. We let Mooney out effort us both times IMO. Those were two games we had to win, but couldn’t get it done. In fact, we aren’t very good at winning must win games (or winning at all for that matter).

Frustrating for sure. Another poster put it well...most talented roster during a down year in the league and we have the worst record we’ve had under Pastner. Let’s get past the financial issues and the probation stuff and find us a better alternative in three years.

3 years is a bit much. Can totally understand waiting a year for the buyout to reduce, but if it takes 3 years, forget about it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Surprising it was up to Devoe to play and he didn’t play. I am still snake bitten with the Robert Carter Jr transfer. I really hope Devoe doesn’t leave.
This may be another unpopular opinion but why would an injured player recuperating opt to play when his team is regularly getting their butts kicked and maybe you’ve got coaching leadership problems? What’s the upside? We all know he can play. Other know he can play. Maybe you get hurt worse & damage any opportunity you have to get your shot because you enter the endless cycle of recovery/rehab? Than again, maybe he’s really not ready.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but we were fouling a good bit. It wasn’t flagrant stuff; it was getting some arm while you’re going for a block stuff. I’m not upset at the players because it looked like “fouls of effort” where you’re just trying to play good defense and sometimes you make more contact than you were hoping to.
I’ve seen games like GT/Clemson where the refs allowed more contact, but if the refs are consistent (and they seemed to be pretty consistent), you gotta roll with it.
What bothers me is not that the refs are blatantly slanted, but we never seem to get those marginal calls where it affects possession. The opposing player comes over the back and bumps Banks with his body & Banks fumbles the ball out of bounds. Wright gets pushed in the back or hit on the arm going up for a chippy & the shot is missed. You got to call fouls there. Then we get the ref couldn’t possibly see the call or thinks there’s going to be a foul that never actually happens but blows the whistle anyway. It’s not massively disproportionate, but we’re getting the short end of the stick. Coach does not know how to work the refs effectively & opposing coaches get an advantage.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...eased-revenues-future/9U39mJ6svTyiFt1FCVzryL/

Just going to drop this here, an article from 2019 for those who would like some positives about our finances. Again, it's not all doom and gloom guys, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Sure, I will admit our situation is really bad, but I will continue to combat the pervasive attitude of learned helplessness on these boards. It brings up the increase in revenue that we expect from the ACC network. It addresses the debt brought up previously, and how they plan to attack it. Some of the debt will get refinanced with lower interest rates, so previous figures overestimate our debt. Sure it is not all sunshine and rainbows, but we do have some reasons to be optimistic that things can and will turn around.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...eased-revenues-future/9U39mJ6svTyiFt1FCVzryL/

Just going to drop this here, an article from 2019 for those who would like some positives about our finances. Again, it's not all doom and gloom guys, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Sure, I will admit our situation is really bad, but I will continue to combat the pervasive attitude of learned helplessness on these boards. It brings up the increase in revenue that we expect from the ACC network. It addresses the debt brought up previously, and how they plan to attack it. Some of the debt will get refinanced with lower interest rates, so previous figures overestimate our debt. Sure it is not all sunshine and rainbows, but we do have some reasons to be optimistic that things can and will turn around.

Has GT and ADTS worked out the payoff with Oregon State?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Has GT and ADTS worked out the payoff with Oregon State?

While it's publicly known, I believe it's technically a private transaction between Stansbury & Oregon State. I don't believe GT is actually a party to the situation, other than being Stansbury's employer.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
While it's publicly known, I believe it's technically a private transaction between Stansbury & Oregon State. I don't believe GT is actually a party to the situation, other than being Stansbury's employer.

of course they are a party to it. They made him a loan to take care of it. He is the GT AD. It’s in GT’s best interest for this to get settled ASAP, especially with all the crap that just happened recently under Peterson.
Bottom line is I was wondering if anyone on here knows if it’s being taken care of.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
of course they are a party to it. They made him a loan to take care of it. He is the GT AD. It’s in GT’s best interest for this to get settled ASAP, especially with all the crap that just happened recently under Peterson.
Bottom line is I was wondering if anyone on here knows if it’s being taken care of.

Not over here. I put your questions in the football forum in the thread about the topic.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Legally they likely are not a party to it. Making a loan for it is not the same thing as taking liability for it. In another way they didn't cosign it.
I would love to see the issue get taken care of but I would be floored if it is actually a liability of GTAA.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Legally they likely are not a party to it. Making a loan for it is not the same thing as taking liability for it. In another way they didn't cosign it.
I would love to see the issue get taken care of but I would be floored if it is actually a liability of GTAA.

you are using the term like a lawyer. I’m using it in the business sense. It’s in GT’s best interest to have this resolved ASAP.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
you are using the term like a lawyer. I’m using it in the business sense. It’s in GT’s best interest to have this resolved ASAP.

I will point out you used the legal term "party" to it which they legally are almost certainly not. Beyond that I agree it is good for all concerned to get it resolved.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
You’re right, why did I even bother coming here? The number of people participating on this board has dwindled to near nothing for a reason. I should have known that the 5 of you (Pea ain’t one of you) were going to pull out the same ole rinse, repeat argument after the L. Ya’ll do your thang..lol.

I’ll pose the same question to you? What did you expect when one of our top two players and a guy avg. 16 ppg is on the shelf? Not a team in the league absorbs that loss and doesn’t sputter somewhat.

As much as I want him to succeed, I also don’t think he’s the long term answer, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to whine like a 2 year old whose toy just got taken away either after a road loss. Especially when the refs give them 28 free throws when they’re mostly shooting threes.

I still believed we had a shot to win against an average ND team, even without Devoe. Against a Duke, Louisville, FSU? Yeah, overcoming that loss might be insurmountable. But the fact that you felt like the game was probably already over before it started speaks volumes about our depth.

After the game, I expect 3 types of conversations. 1) Discussion of gameplay, 2) Season outlook, 3) Program outlook. It's that simple man. You're welcome to provide your own opinion and join the discussion. But to come on here and call everyone miserable SOB's - that is the whiny, childish BS. For everyone that has walked away from this board due to negativity, there is someone else who walked away because they got tired of being called out for expressing an opinion and being called a bad fan/miserable/etc. I'm not going to shut someone down for having a different view of things. And frankly, that is what the forum is for.

And not sure why Peac gets a pass while everyone else who expresses a similar opinion gets criticized, but again, that's your prerogative. It's really not worth getting bent out of shape about either way. Contribute to the discussion if you want, or don't - it's totally your call

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I still believed we had a shot to win against an average ND team, even without Devoe. Against a Duke, Louisville, FSU? Yeah, overcoming that loss might be insurmountable. But the fact that you felt like the game was probably already over before it started speaks volumes about our depth.

After the game, I expect 3 types of conversations. 1) Discussion of gameplay, 2) Season outlook, 3) Program outlook. It's that simple man. You're welcome to provide your own opinion and join the discussion. But to come on here and call everyone miserable SOB's - that is the whiny, childish BS. For everyone that has walked away from this board due to negativity, there is someone else who walked away because they got tired of being called out for expressing an opinion and being called a bad fan/miserable/etc. I'm not going to shut someone down for having a different view of things. And frankly, that is what the forum is for.

And not sure why Peac gets a pass while everyone else who expresses a similar opinion gets criticized, but again, that's your prerogative. It's really not worth getting bent out of shape about either way. Contribute to the discussion if you want, or don't - it's totally your call

Like I said, do your thing. Be as miserable as you choose to be, bud! Just another one to add to the ignore list.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Tech fouled more than they usually do, ND fouled less. End of story.

Even if Tech fouled more than usual and ND fouled less, that does not explain why, with approximately 80% of the game complete, Tech had 3 times more fouls than ND (15 to 5). It also doesn't explain why, during approximately the last 20% of the game, ND was called for almost half of its fouls.
I can explain the reason, however. I've seen it many times over the years. It officials' way of cooking the box score. They are aware that there is a huge disparity in the fouls, so with the game not in doubt, they start calling fouls to make up for the disparity. That way, they don't look as bad in the box score. If you don't believe the officials are conscious of their supervisors looking at box scores, you are naive.

In the Kentucky Auburn game last night, UK had 29 fouls, AU 20. That's a disparity, but not an unreasonable disparity. 22-9 is not a reasonable disparity, and 15-5 is far worse. I don't believe a team can play for 30 minutes or more in a conference game of equals and only pick up 5 fouls if the game is called correctly. The UK-AU game shows a reasonable number of fouls for two skilled teams, and we were in line with that. ND wasn't close.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
Like I said, do your thing. Be as miserable as you choose to be, bud! Just another one to add to the ignore list.

Haha again, I'm not sure why you get the impression that anyone who has a different view than you is miserable. This is literally a place to talk about sports, nothing miserable about it. Maybe you're projecting, since you are the one who seems to come on here and get upset.

I was trying to understand your view and get some dialogue going to bridge the gap between "miserable" posters and those with a different mindset. Ironic that you're getting on to other people for acting like 2 year olds...maybe a group chat for people with the same view would suit you better my friend. Having said that, sounds good. Feel free to ignore if you haven't done so already.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Haha again, I'm not sure why you get the impression that anyone who has a different view than you is miserable. This is literally a place to talk about sports, nothing miserable about it. Maybe you're projecting, since you are the one who seems to come on here and get upset.

I was trying to understand your view and get some dialogue going to bridge the gap between "miserable" posters and those with a different mindset. Ironic that you're getting on to other people for acting like 2 year olds...maybe a group chat for people with the same view would suit you better my friend. Having said that, sounds good. Feel free to ignore if you haven't done so already.

I still don't know who Vern is.

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
If you wait 3 more years you’ll have run off the rest of the already dwindling by the year fanbase.

Yeah this would be a pretty long timeline. I can understand waiting a year or 2, just for the financial reasons/NCAA sanctions to become more palatable. But otherwise, if the right coach is out there, it really seems like we would be doing more harm than good from a fan interest, recruiting, national perception, etc. perspective by waiting this long.