Next Up - Revenge - Hopefully Sweet

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

The only people I’ve ignored are those that continue to ignore the facts or just say stupid **** after every loss. There’s a core group of 5-6 and we all know who they are.
There's your problem. Everyone knows there's only 6 of us on the board

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Probably less - I think Connell has 3 different fonts :p
In reality it probably is all CuseJacket trying to keep clicks up :whistle:

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the bigger issue in eventually replacing Pastner is going to be the recruiting restrictions, not the financials (though those don't help either).

Until the more severe restrictions from the NCAA pass it is going to be very difficult to get any coach worth paying to come here.

Hopefully at this point we are getting smart and have withdrawn our appeal of the postseason ban - this year's squad isn't going anywhere.

Alot of it is who can we ultimately attract. Mbob reached out to Chris Mack (who he had hired at Xavier) when Gregory was fired and Mack didn't have any interest in the GT job. Then when Bryce Drew reneged at the last minute they reached out to multiple other coaches before hiring Pastner.

What I do feel like though is when we make our next coaching hire it is the most important one since Cremins. I'm probably older than most on this board. My gut is that if we have a 3rd straight poor hire I may not see a winning program in my remaining lifetime. The kids who are being recruited now have basically never seen GT in the NCAA Tourney. GT currently has one of the longest absences from the NCAA Tourney of any power conference team.

I'm expecting it to take 1-2 years before the financials and recruiting restrictions are in a place where it makes sense to make a move.

This is pretty similar to my take on it. I agree, I think the biggest issue is probably the looming NCAA sanctions rather than the extra 2-2.5M we could save by hanging onto Pastner for one more year. There’s never going to be a perfect time financially to move on (even waiting until the end of his contract has opportunity costs).

But to echo this point, I believe we’re making a mistake if we aren’t at least putting out feelers to see what else is out there. To turn this program around it’s probably going to require some aggressive moves (targeting the right coaches with proven track records, selling them on the program, making financial commitments that keep our program on a level field with similar programs, etc.) Is there any compelling reason why we wouldn’t at least explore our options given where we are right now?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But to echo this point, I believe we’re making a mistake if we aren’t at least putting out feelers to see what else is out there. To turn this program around it’s probably going to require some aggressive moves (targeting the right coaches with proven track records, selling them on the program, making financial commitments that keep our program on a level field with similar programs, etc.) Is there any compelling reason why we wouldn’t at least explore our options given where we are right now?

IMO an AD should always have feelers out for head coaches for both football and basketball no matter the situation. Too many things can cause a coaching change that you don't want to be caught unprepared, and you also just want an idea on what the market is like for negotiating purposes.