Next Up - Revenge - Hopefully Sweet

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
We could have made the tournament with the talent we had. I still believe that today. But that doesn’t help if you’re missing your players most of the season.

Look, I totally understand this take. But at some point, it's pretty rare for a team to be 100% healthy the entire year, and you have to have the depth to make up for injuries. Like I said, there have been some weird/difficult circumstances the last few years. But at what point do we stop making excuses for sub-par results? When do we start seeking accountability?

Deleted member 2897

Look, I totally understand this take. But at some point, it's pretty rare for a team to be 100% healthy the entire year, and you have to have the depth to make up for injuries. Like I said, there have been some weird/difficult circumstances the last few years. But at what point do we stop making excuses for sub-par results? When do we start seeking accountability?

I wasn’t making excuses. IIWII. I said if I were ADTS I’d be laying the groundwork in a coaching hunt so I’d be able to make a move sometime next season if necessary.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So they were 3.5 fouls less than their average and we were 4 more than ours. Or, let me put that another way. They fouled 28% less than their average and we fouled 21% more than our average.

GT averages 18 FTA per game. We shot 12. ND averages 16.5 FTA per game. They shot 28.

ND's opponents on average foul them 15.9 time per game. GT had 22.

GT's opponents average 17.9 fouls per game. ND had 9.

But yeah. It was just a regular average game and there was "no reason". Okay.
Yes. That’s why they are called averages. Sometimes you go above, sometimes you stay below. Like I said, a couple calls both ways and it’s a very normal game. If the foul totals were say, 21-11, would there be this big of a reaction? I didn’t watch the game. My attitude towards GT basketball is completely apathetic ATM. I don’t know what the calls looked like in live action. Statistically, I don’t think the foul totals on either side are huge anomalies. I don’t like making officiating a big deal, when the vaaasssttt majority of the time the “bias” in way overplayed. When you’re below .500 and lose by 8 to a very beatable team, blaming officials probably shouldn’t be the first thing that comes to mind.

There's a difference between giving this staff a pass and understanding the harsh realities of the GTAA's finances.

I like Pastner. Seems like a good dude. Kids appear to love him.

His coaching has been better than expected, his recruiting way less than expected.

Some weird **** has happened on his watch.

I wish things could have worked out differently to date.

Would love to see some sort of turnaround, but I don't think he's the long term solution.

I feel pretty confident he'll be our coach next season because we shouldn't get ourselves further in the hole with buyouts until we are ready to make a real commitment to basketball. Maybe that plan is being worked on, but it shouldn't be set in motion until football is fully taken care of.

There's a difference between giving this staff a pass and understanding the harsh realities of the GTAA's finances.

I like Pastner. Seems like a good dude. Kids appear to love him.

His coaching has been better than expected, his recruiting way less than expected.

Some weird **** has happened on his watch.

I wish things could have worked out differently to date.

Would love to see some sort of turnaround, but I don't think he's the long term solution.

I feel pretty confident he'll be our coach next season because we shouldn't get ourselves further in the hole with buyouts until we are ready to make a real commitment to basketball. Maybe that plan is being worked on, but it shouldn't be set in motion until football is fully taken care of.

I think you are really overselling the “dire financial situation of our program”. Honestly, it’s pretty negative to get on here and post what we can’t afford when the pledges for the edge center and renovation of many of our athletics facilities suggest we may not need to “pinch our pennies” as you have suggested. Also, we are expected to received increasing revenue from the ACC network. We all understand that you want to wait a year to fire Pastner, and you have valid points. Others of us simply disagree. I believe that it’s not a question about not having funds, but how we allocate the funds we do have. Again, I think there is a real debate about when to move on from Pastner, and if we should continue our NCAA appeal. If there is a desirable coach out there now, we need to be willing to pull the trigger and not be scared to do it. Seriously, do you get some kinda of financial kickback from keeping Pastner around for one more year?

GTsports1819

Georgia Tech Fan
I wasn’t making excuses. IIWII. I said if I were ADTS I’d be laying the groundwork in a coaching hunt so I’d be able to make a move sometime next season if necessary.

I know what you mean. I was mainly referring to some of the excuses that consistently have come up during pressers after close/disappointing losses. I don't want us to roll the dice and make a change for the sake of making a change. But agreed, if the AD puts out feelers and there is a proven winner who is interested, it would be awesome to see us commit to building this program back up.

I think "quit" is a little stronger than "choosing not to play". And uncalled for

Guys were getting into semantics here. Is any there concern that Devoe is sitting out for whatever reason and may be saving himself for next year or thinking about the transfer portal?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think you are really overselling the “dire financial situation of our program”. Honestly, it’s pretty negative to get on here and post what we can’t afford when the pledges for the edge center and renovation of many of our athletics facilities suggest we may not need to “pinch our pennies” as you have suggested. Also, we are expected to received increasing revenue from the ACC network. We all understand that you want to wait a year to fire Pastner, and you have valid points. Others of us simply disagree. I believe that it’s not a question about not having funds, but how we allocate the funds we do have. Again, I think there is a real debate about when to move on from Pastner, and if we should continue our NCAA appeal. If there is a desirable coach out there now, we need to be willing to pull the trigger and not be scared to do it. Seriously, do you get some kinda of financial kickback from keeping Pastner around for one more year?
I missed most of the arguments you had in the past week, but I know you’ve definitely brought up some controversial points. I can tell you that the GTAA’s financial situation is in far worse shape than how it is in your made up concoction of finances. Georgia Tech’s football revenue accounts for nearly the entire budget of GT athletics. The GTAA is over $100M in debt, with an unstable money maker in football. There’s absolutely no reason to press a basketball move when there’s no guarantee the situation will get any better in the coming years. You keep saying that you want to reallocate funds from AI 2020 into the basketball program, but apparently don’t realize how far behind GT’s facilities are as a whole compared to other P5 schools. The Edge building looks like it was built in the 70s, inside and out. RCS is no where near the facility or should be when it houses a perennial top 25 baseball team. O’Keefe is in desperate need of an upgrade also.

Also, with the threat of NCAA violations, academic recruiting hindrances, and a mediocre fan base, what makes you think GT will be able to lure some top coach right now anyway?

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Sad.

I feel bad for Pastner, but when over a period of years you always have a problem with missing your top players, something is wrong.

Only 5 turnovers and obliterated them on rebounds, resulting in 20 more FG attempts. This is a game we should have won by 15-18 points.

Sad.
Why you feel sorry for pastner?

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I missed most of the arguments you had in the past week, but I know you’ve definitely brought up some controversial points. I can tell you that the GTAA’s financial situation is in far worse shape than how it is in your made up concoction of finances. Georgia Tech’s football revenue accounts for nearly the entire budget of GT athletics. The GTAA is over $100M in debt, with an unstable money maker in football. There’s absolutely no reason to press a basketball move when there’s no guarantee the situation will get any better in the coming years. You keep saying that you want to reallocate funds from AI 2020 into the basketball program, but apparently don’t realize how far behind GT’s facilities are as a whole compared to other P5 schools. The Edge building looks like it was built in the 70s, inside and out. RCS is no where near the facility or should be when it houses a perennial top 25 baseball team. O’Keefe is in desperate need of an upgrade also.

Also, with the threat of NCAA violations, academic recruiting hindrances, and a mediocre fan base, what makes you think GT will be able to lure some top coach right now anyway?
You’re right let’s just focus on being a prestigious academic institute & screw athletics

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes. That’s why they are called averages. Sometimes you go above, sometimes you stay below.

lol really?

This wasn't the case of a ref group that had a quick whistle and both sides got called for more fouls than usual.
This wasn't the case of a ref group letting both sides play and both sides got called for fewer fouls than usual.
This was a game where one team got called for more fouls than usual and the other got called for fewer. By a lot in both directions.

They got called for 28% less fouls than they usually do and 50% less fouls than our opponents usually do.
We got called for 21% more fouls than we usually do and 38% more fouls than ND's opponents usually do.

Sorry, but that's not just the way averages work unless you really believe this was just the real extreme 1% type of thing.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Yep. We play good basketball when we have our full roster. But it feels like over the past few years we’ve had our full roster like 20% of the time.
everybody has injuries , Never seen more people use it as an excuse than some on here

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You’re right let’s just focus on being a prestigious academic institute & screw athletics
Huh? Where did I ever say “screw athletics”? I think you need to reread my entire post. What I said was that Edge needs a massive renovation (which it’s getting), football needs to be stable (hopefully it’s moving in that direction), RCS needs an update to compete with other top schools (it’s getting one), O’Keefe needs an update (it’s getting one). What I said about basketball is that there’s no reason to rush a move when you can’t guarantee a good hire in Tech’s current state. Not really sure what you’re on about.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
lol really?

This wasn't the case of a ref group that had a quick whistle and both sides got called for more fouls than usual.
This wasn't the case of a ref group letting both sides play and both sides got called for fewer fouls than usual.
This was a game where one team got called for more fouls than usual and the other got called for fewer. By a lot in both directions.

They got called for 28% less fouls than they usually do and 50% less fouls than our opponents usually do.
We got called for 21% more fouls than we usually do and 38% more fouls than ND's opponents usually do.

Sorry, but that's not just the way averages work unless you really believe this was just the real extreme 1% type of thing.
Like I said, didn’t watch the game. Don’t know how it was officiated. I do know they foul less than anyone in the country. Tech fouls 33% more often than ND does on average. I don’t see it as a huge deal. Couple calls here or there makes it right on average for both teams.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys were getting into semantics here. Is any there concern that Devoe is sitting out for whatever reason and may be saving himself for next year or thinking about the transfer portal?

There is a lot you can say about Pastmer and I would agree with most all of it. But one thing that has to be said is with a couple of exceptions the team plays hard and hasn't had any issues like wanting to sit out for no reason

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Still nine conference games left. All, except Louisville (and maybe Syracuse) are winnable. I’m sure ADTS has a list in mind if it’s necessary to make a move next year. Next year is a long way off though.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
And yet you're arguing that it was officiated fine.
Statistically my guy. Statistically. I said on paper it doesn’t look that strange. Multiple times. If you want to say there’s some anti-GT bias going on, be my guest. Maybe there were some BS calls. Actually, I’m sure there were. They’re in every game, for/against every team. Fact is, GT lost, again. Whether it was because of poor 3 pt shooting, poor defensive play, fouls, bad officiating, an act of God, whatever. I just don’t believe going after officials when you lose, and lose a lot, solves anything.