New recruit...2nd chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If you can't tell the difference between petty theft and auto theft I probably can't help you. You're too far gone at that point.

They are both property crimes. Entering auto is a felony or offense in most states...maybe all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s just a revelation to some who have sat on their GT high-horse for long from not wanting their Degree devalued to laughing at GT nemesis UGA, not understanding we are all cut from the same cloth. It is really a gut punch to those who think this is a CGC thing instead of a GT thing. GT has been a home of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chances to many that are successful in world and will continue to be.

I’m probably more shocked by @lv20gt stance than the others

Calvin Megatron Johnson got a "second" chance.

Dedrick Mills got plenty of chances.

Darren Waller got plenty of chances.

Step Durham knocked out a teammate...TWICE on video.

Jalen Johnson was arrested, but was not kicked off the team.

That's just the football side of GT athletics. Seriously, I could go on for quite a while with examples of older, more proven SAs who should know better than a 17 year old HS player. Anyone making a big deal out of this has an obvious agenda.

As others have stated, "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone."

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I really hope we don't have a player someone claims he picked his nose , or we may need to drop football. ( yes I know the is dumb but so is judging someone you don't know have not talked to do it )

I’ve never said this kid is irredeemable. I’ve been critical of his illegal action and critical of quotes attributed to him and his mother by the ajc in reference to that act and outcome.

What I’ve also said is that bringing him in has some known risks now. If it was my call I’d be more inclined to offer him after a year of staying out of trouble at a juco. That’s just my opinion. The risk there would be losing him to another school this year or next. Balancing those risks...I’d be more inclined to the wait and see approach.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Calvin Megatron Johnson got a "second" chance.

Dedrick Mills got plenty of chances.

Darren Waller got plenty of chances.

Step Durham knocked out a teammate...TWICE on video.

Jalen Johnson was arrested, but was not kicked off the team.

That's just the football side of GT athletics. Seriously, I could go on for quite a while with examples of older, more proven SAs who should know better than a 17 year old HS player. Anyone making a big deal out of this has an obvious agenda.

As others have stated, "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone."
If you are going to bring in real facts and logic it this it's not going work. We have tried that before :) opinions are all that matters on here facts will not work :)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you are going to bring in real facts and logic it this it's not going work. We have tried that before :) opinions are all that matters on here facts will not work :)

Jason-Lee-Dammit.gif

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
So much hand wringing here. I'm guessing this commitment took a long time to announce because GT was doing a thorough check to get their basis covered. TStan signed off on allowing him to come here. How many scholarship athletes at Tech go through that level of scrutiny?

I'm hoping the structure of GT football keeps him in line. Since he visited, I'm also guessing CGC did some face to face discussions to figure out his character and whether he's a fit for the culture he's trying to build at GT.

I'm also guessing his statements in the past were somewhat of a plea to get coaches to give him a shot. Wouldn't we all want that? I can't imagine being that close to a P5 scholarship and losing it all...

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’ve never said this kid is irredeemable. I’ve been critical of his illegal action and critical of quotes attributed to him and his mother by the ajc in reference to that act and outcome.

What I’ve also said is that bringing him in has some known risks now. If it was my call I’d be more inclined to offer him after a year of staying out of trouble at a juco. That’s just my opinion. The risk there would be losing him to another school this year or next. Balancing those risks...I’d be more inclined to the wait and see approach.

He signed in May instead of December/February. They did wait and see. Let due process take its course and reacted.

It’s apples and oranges and you know it.

It is when you spray paint the orange red

stech81

Helluva Engineer

The problem is you have be too critical about everything lately. Oversigning which has not been a problem , CBK which you have not produced an article where he said anything , and playing games in MBS which I do agree with you on this subject. But to talk bad about a player ( and name the player) is crossing a line we should not do.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If the first try by the OP was nuked, why is this version of the ****show allowed to continue?

Have mercy what an embarrassing thread.

Probably because of the title. Which was titled in anticipation of the typical hysteria in the forum anytime anything close to negative or critical is mentioned.

Thread title was...This will probably kick the ant bed again. Kicking the ant bed was not my purpose....but the reaction thus far was sadly expected and not surprising.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The problem is you have be too critical about everything lately. Oversigning which has not been a problem , CBK which you have not produced an article where he said anything , and playing games in MBS which I do agree with you on this subject. But to talk bad about a player ( and name the player) is crossing a line we should not do.

This was a headline story in the local town paper.

As for being “too critical”, that’s kind of inline with the whole get on board or stfu crowd. I think any degree of expressed difference with that crowd is deemed “too critical”. Is there a certain percentage of criticism vs praise which crosses that line in your opinion?

Deleted member 2897

3 months after signing period...that tells me we spent a lot of time trying to understand what kind of kid and family we have here. He showed a great deal of remorse in another article I linked to - so I'm assuming he did the same to us along the way. At least we can hope. The guys wringing their hands about this do have a major point we can't gloss over - part of our brand at Georgia Tech (whether correct or not) is that we have a high level of academics and a high level of personal integrity. We try to do what's right. When Brian Bowen got caught getting paid $100,000, we didn't offer him to come play with us like South Carolina did. So I'm going to assume we put a good deal of time in on speaking with him.

Now also, I can't miss an opportunity to make fun of Bud Peterson. It could be he said, "No violence, no weapons involved - just barely not a white collar crime colluding with some other bad actors and getting caught effectively stealing? Hell, that's like half of our Administration! Go get this kid!"

Status
Not open for further replies.