New recruit...2nd chances

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To address the issue of allowing this thread to continue, the Mods have decided that this topic is allowed and can continue as long as the discussions remain civil and within GTSwarm rules. There have been some posts removed and we will continue watching. If you feel a particular post is against the rules please report it.

No Personal Attacks.
Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff. There are ways to disagree with someone or an idea but still be civil about it in public discourse. We are not like other fans that like to bark at each other. For a better definition of personal attacks, please see ad hominem and no personal attacks.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never said this kid is irredeemable. I’ve been critical of his illegal action and critical of quotes attributed to him and his mother by the ajc in reference to that act and outcome.

What I’ve also said is that bringing him in has some known risks now. If it was my call I’d be more inclined to offer him after a year of staying out of trouble at a juco. That’s just my opinion. The risk there would be losing him to another school this year or next. Balancing those risks...I’d be more inclined to the wait and see approach.
And if you had started out saying that i’m betting the reaction would have been much different

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This was a headline story in the local town paper.

As for being “too critical”, that’s kind of inline with the whole get on board or stfu crowd. I think any degree of expressed difference with that crowd is deemed “too critical”. Is there a certain percentage of criticism vs praise which crosses that line in your opinion?
Praise I have no problem criticism I feel one needs to be careful , people read something and people can come up with different meanings with what they read.

After talking to the players after the spring game Tech fans may be shock next season.

Some will take this to mean we will be good next season. Some will take this to mean we will suck next season. And a few will wait and see how we do. To base an opinion on one article see a bad idea.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And if you had started out saying that i’m betting the reaction would have been much different

Doubt it. The reaction thus far would be more justified if I had in fact stated....”this kid is irredeemable.”

I have worked very closely with a number of kids and young adults who have made similar mistakes. Some eventually see the light, change their ways, and become very successful. Some continue to embrace a criminal mindset. It’s very rare in my experience to see a quick change without some further hiccups along the way but it happens sometimes. Take it FWIW, just one persons experience.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Praise I have no problem criticism I feel one needs to be careful , people read something and people can come up with different meanings with what they read.

After talking to the players after the spring game Tech fans may be shock next season.

Some will take this to mean we will be good next season. Some will take this to mean we will suck next season. And a few will wait and see how we do. To base an opinion on one article see a bad idea.

So to sum up your position....praise is welcomed but criticism requires a certain level of care. Still trying to figure out if you in fact tolerate any criticism....or only your own....or only criticism you agree with....

Animal02

Banned
3 months after signing period...that tells me we spent a lot of time trying to understand what kind of kid and family we have here. He showed a great deal of remorse in another article I linked to - so I'm assuming he did the same to us along the way. At least we can hope. The guys wringing their hands about this do have a major point we can't gloss over - part of our brand at Georgia Tech (whether correct or not) is that we have a high level of academics and a high level of personal integrity. We try to do what's right. When Brian Bowen got caught getting paid $100,000, we didn't offer him to come play with us like South Carolina did. So I'm going to assume we put a good deal of time in on speaking with him.

Now also, I can't miss an opportunity to make fun of Bud Peterson. It could be he said, "No violence, no weapons involved - just barely not a white collar crime colluding with some other bad actors and getting caught effectively stealing? Hell, that's like half of our Administration! Go get this kid!"
If you want more ammo to slap Peterson around.......read this..........

Attachments

• After Ethical Lapses.pdf
    480.6 KB · Views: 16

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s likely he is a bad egg currently. Not much time has passed since this incident occurred. His statements as well as his mom’s lead me to believe he may not really “get it” yet. Which is why I previously stated I’d give him a year elsewhere to prove he can stay out of trouble before bringing him in.
I get that from your posts in the thread. My point was that’s what caused the reaction. I’m not arguing your belief

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
When @Animal02 is saying @lv20gt is the voice of reason, we know there is an issue

It is an odd sight.

He may have acted like that earlier in the process, and it may have been at the request of his lawyer. I have no idea. But his latest statements don't match with that assertion I put in bold.

Are the latest statements the ones hidden behind the paywall? As of right now, everything I have seen, from the report to his own quotes, pretty much points to him having done it. The only real exception is a mom who doesn't want to believe her baby boy did something. Now is it possible that he was talked into it by his lawyer because it was the best chance he had to get an athletic scholarship even if he was innocent? Sure. But I haven't really seen any reason to believe that is the case. Also, while looking into things there was an article posted, now with a busted link, that he was confronted by the owners while doing it. This is the passage.

"Bentonville police said they had reports Young, Kyle Conway and a juvenile were breaking into a vehicle Friday (Dec. 14) at The Links at Rainbow Curve, according to an arrest report. Young told police he stole a TomTom GPS, Oakley sunglasses and a flashlight from a truck at the apartments. He said the owners confronted him and he returned everything but the GPS, according to the report."

Overall there really isn't much that I have seen to suggest that he wasn't involved at least.

I’m probably more shocked by @lv20gt stance than the others

Which part? That I wouldn't take him? If so then I don't think during a coaching transition, especially when it was as divisive as this one was. It's an unneeded risk imo. But I also don't see the decision by the coaches to take the chance as a huge deal. If it blows up in their faces and he is an issue while on the team then is the time to be saying how bad a look it is.

Deleted member 2897

It is an odd sight.

Are the latest statements the ones hidden behind the paywall? As of right now, everything I have seen, from the report to his own quotes, pretty much points to him having done it. The only real exception is a mom who doesn't want to believe her baby boy did something. Now is it possible that he was talked into it by his lawyer because it was the best chance he had to get an athletic scholarship even if he was innocent? Sure. But I haven't really seen any reason to believe that is the case. Also, while looking into things there was an article posted, now with a busted link, that he was confronted by the owners while doing it. This is the passage.

"Bentonville police said they had reports Young, Kyle Conway and a juvenile were breaking into a vehicle Friday (Dec. 14) at The Links at Rainbow Curve, according to an arrest report. Young told police he stole a TomTom GPS, Oakley sunglasses and a flashlight from a truck at the apartments. He said the owners confronted him and he returned everything but the GPS, according to the report."

Overall there really isn't much that I have seen to suggest that he wasn't involved at least.

Which part? That I wouldn't take him? If so then I don't think during a coaching transition, especially when it was as divisive as this one was. It's an unneeded risk imo. But I also don't see the decision by the coaches to take the chance as a huge deal. If it blows up in their faces and he is an issue while on the team then is the time to be saying how bad a look it is.

I don’t know what to tell you. What I read is that something did happen, because he has shown a high level of remorse and regret. Why would he say those things if he weren’t involved in something. Maybe he’s lying and doesn’t actually care. But I guess we will eventually find out.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what to tell you. What I read is that something did happen, because he has shown a high level of remorse and regret. Why would he say those things if he weren’t involved in something. Maybe he’s lying and doesn’t actually care. But I guess we will eventually find out.

I was saying it's disingenuous for people here to act like he didn't do anything or was innocent because they didn't take him to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.